Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White Feels No Vindication Following Jon Fitch’s Defeat

1. Default Dana White Feels No Vindication Following Jon Fitch’s Defeat

Dana White Feels No Vindication Following Jon Fitch’s Defeat | 5thRound.com

Most thought UFC president Dana White couldn’t wait to cut Jon Fitch (pictured) after he was dominated by Demian Maia at UFC 156 because White was still holding a grudge against Fitch for their video game beef not too many moons ago.

However, White claimed it was strictly a business decision to release the former welterweight top contender since the 35-year-old had entered “the downside of his career.” Some fans bought White’s explanation, while most were still dumbfounded by Fitch’s abrupt departure.

Those same shocked fans must have thought White was privately texting his infamous ” ” to confidants when Fitch was submitted in just 41 seconds in his first post-UFC fight. So not true, says White.

“I have nothing against Jon Fitch, I never did,” White stated after the UFC 161 post-fight press conference. “It was all hyped up [expletive], but I think Jon Fitch used it as a little bit of ammo when he got cut and tried to spin it that I hated him and all this other stuff, which was complete [expletive]. But I felt that Jon Fitch was on the downside of his career.”
    When asked if White felt vindicated by his controversial decision to part ways with Fitch after Friday’s upset loss, MMA’s big boss reiterated that he has no personal qualms with Fitch.

In fact, Fitch’s defeat went against White’s original prediction when Fitch signed with World Series of Fighting.

“I wasn’t right, because I cut Jon Fitch – I said he went 1-2-1 since 2011 and I said he’s on the downside of his career, he’s 35 years old, he hasn’t looked impressive at all – but I said he’ll be a world champion in the World Series of Fighting. I said he’ll go over there and win a title,” White said.

“Did I think Fitch was going to [beat Josh Burkman]? Yeah, I thought Fitch was going to win. I said Fitch is going to wrestle-[expletive] him for three rounds and win the fight.”
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

White didn't but Sakara sure did......
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Boxer's dementia.

And I think that's a major part of people's frustration with Fitch's release.

In 12 fights, Sakara is 5-7, 3 losses in a row (granted one was a DQ I didn't agree with) and has been stopped in 5 of 7 losses.

Fitch was 8-3-1 in his last 12 UFC fights with one of those being a world title fight he lost and was stopped once.

For the record, you know I don't hate Sakara.

And, while I agree in theory, most people would contend that CLEARLY losing is not what gets you cut.

It's water under the bridge at this point. I was just having a little fun following your jubilation at Fitch's demise. I'm not a fan of his style but I normally advocate for fighters and his being cut just seemed fishy.

You're probably correct on his skill level at this point in time.

However, I would contend that there's more evidence that points to his being unfairly treated than otherwise.

Thread Information