Thread: Woodley: '100%' believes he won

Default Woodley: '100%' believes he won

Woodley: '100%' believes he won - Mixed Martial Arts News

Although the bout between Jake Shields and Tyron Woodley at UFC 161 was rather uneventful, if it still the job of the judges to pick the correct winner. Most watching, including UFC President Dana White, thought that Woodley had done enough to win, but the judges saw it the other way for Jake Shields. Sherdog.com posted a video interview with Woodley and got his opinion on the fight:

“I said he wasn’t going to take me down and I meant that. He tried 18 times; he got zero takedowns. From a statistics standpoint I was pretty overwhelmed with the fact that I was 64% on punching, I kicked him and dropped him to the ground twice, and I spinning back fisted him and he got zero takedowns. For me, I would have liked to throw more punches.”

“Do I believe I won the fight? 100%, but as a person that’s been petitioning and hunting down a world title, that type of performance for myself, I have to be able to let it go no matter if it’s Jake Shields or who it is. I made him miss so many punches; I just want to watch the video again, he missed almost 80% of his punches.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

For me, I would have liked to throw more punches.
    That's why he lost.

3. Default

Saying he stopped all 18 takedowns doesn't mean you won that battle as Jake was the one still pushing the action. Yes it was a close fight, but nobody whipped anybody's ass as I saw it. I personally thought Jake won just over he had more control of were the fight was.
    Also the one judge having it 30-27 Woodely was bull to me, but I've seen worse wins given/taken

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    That's why he lost.
    Yup. Woodley was also noticeably breathing heavier. Shields, however, didn't slow down much...which would give the indication that the body shots Woodley was landing weren't all that effective.

Woodley's gameplan or lack there of, made no freaking sense to me. Everybody and their mother knows Shields can only KO the guys on Bully Beatdown. He has 3 TKO's his whole career.. more then likely ground n pound and I doubt he really hurt them ref stoppage due to lack of self defense. Woodley has great wrestling and if he knew Shields couldn't take him down, why not wing it and take him out? Its Woodleys own fault he lost that fight, it was his to have and he just stood there letting Jake jab him.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

For a second I thought Woodley had switched to the Cesar Gracie camp.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

I actually had Woodley winning too. I call BS

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    For a second I thought Woodley had switched to the Cesar Gracie camp.
    You didn't! I'm just glad I didn't have the cup of coffee tilted just yet.

While there were some good points for each guy to take away from this fight, it mostly showed that neither is demanding to be a top challenger in the division. Jake was dealing with a big/strong guy and worked to control the fight, though too much fence time between the two.

Thread Information