Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pat Barry manager: Bout ending blow was an eye gouge

Default Pat Barry manager: Bout ending blow was an eye gouge

Pat Barry manager: Bout ending blow was an eye gouge - Mixed Martial Arts News

Pat Barry lost to Shawn Jordan via strikes at UFC 161 Saturday night. However, his manager Brian Butler, of SuckerPunch Entertainment, says the bout ending strike was an accidental eye poke.

Butler also not that he was coming forward about the injury of his own accord, noting that Barry never complains about officiating.

"The eye poke is what stopped Pat. He was not dazed or even close to being unconscious," Butler told Bleacher Report. "Watch the way he just turtles up to cover his eye. If it was more blatant, the ref would have given Pat time to recover, but it was hard to see.

"You can see Pat actually almost tap to motion the ref it was his eye, but Shawn was hitting so fast he couldn't remove his glove from his eye."

"This was set to be a great fight, and what most people didn't see was that this stoppage was due to an eye gouge Pat received from an uppercut. The strikes themselves did not cause Pat to go down. He took a thumb directly into his eyeball and turtles up to protect it. Unfortunately, the ref did not have the angle I saw it, and the fight was stopped."

Butler said he had not yet determined whether he would file an appeal with the regulating commission in Winnipeg.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

3. Default

The gif supports that.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    The gif supports that.
    I can't really tell. Which shot hits him in the eye?

EDIT: Just watched the fight again. Still don't see the eye poke but you could see Pat saying he got poked as soon as he gets up.
    Last edited by Fe1; 06-18-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

looks like the second right uppercut came up thumb or knuckle of thumb first into his eye, still the power behind those shots dropped him as they would pretty much anyone.

They were all closed fist strikes a knuckle or something may have hit him in the eye, but don't think that really counts as an eye poke or something a ref would halt a fight for to allow time to recoup.
    Last edited by Rise; 06-18-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Looks like a knuckle to me.

Pat Barry sitting pretty at 8-6... 5-6 in the UFC. I'd be looking for an excuse for my client too.

I can only see knuckles (maybe a thumb got him, maybe). IMO getting punched in the eye is completely different than a poke, and to the best of my knowledge he doesn't get time to recover from it. You get time to recover from a poke because its an illegal maneuver (intentional or not). If may not earn you any friends or respect but you can punch someone in the eye as much as you want and I believe it's legal.

Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    looks like the second right uppercut came up thumb or knuckle of thumb first into his eye, .
    I'm going with the fist or knuckle hitting the eye. And while an eye gouge and knuckle in the eye both hurt only one is illegal. As long as Jordan's fist was closed there was no reason for the ref to step in.

It was a shame to see Barry go down and I hope the guy can change up his game to take less shots. He seems to just stand in the pocket for too long as if waiting to receive a 4 count combo. I don't think he'll be cut so I'll be routing for the comeback tour.

10. Default

Maybe but I wouldn't blame a ref for missing that one if it happened as I couldn't tell. We get to look at it several times and how many saw it the first time?

Thread Information