Thread: Dan Henderson I thought I won. and would consider return to middleweight

1. Default Dan Henderson I thought I won. and would consider return to middleweight

Dan Henderson:

UFC light heavyweight Dan Henderson suffered a second straight Split Decision loss last night at the hands of Rashad Evans. As understandably frustrating as the defeat was, Henderson isnt harboring any resentment about his recent run of close calls. In fact, compared to his defeat to Lyoto Machida last February, Henderson was downright pleased with the pairing other than the end result.

He stood there and fought me. He didnt run away, said Henderson to Fuel TV after UFC 161. It was a close fight. I thought I won (but) he kept the pressure on in the third round and never let me get a little breather. He did a great job fighting tonight.
    The 42-year old Henderson also made it clear he had no desire to hang his gloves up simply because hed stumbled in the scrap.

Absolutely, replied Henderson when asked if he planned to continue his career. Im just a little more pissed off now than before. More pissed at myself than anyone else. Ive got no one else to blame.
    Prior to his current slide, Henderson hadnt lost two consecutive contests in five years. The defeat dropped his overall record to 29-10.
    Dan Henderson "would consider" return to middleweight - Five Ounces of Pain | RM Sports

UFC light heavyweight Dan Henderson has come up slightly short on the scorecards in two straight scraps, falling this past Saturday night to Rashad Evans by Split Decision similar to his stumble against Lyoto Machida earlier this year. Though Hendo was competitive in both clashes, the minor skid has resulted in questions about the 42-year olds future in the Octagon.

One option on the table is a return to 185 pounds. Henderson addressed the possibility at the UFC 161 post-fight press conference, stating, Yeah Id consider it. I mean I dont feel weak or overpowered at 205, but yeah I would consider it. I weighed in at 204 today and didnt miss a meal.

From the sound of it, Henderson will have a few months to decide on his next move before committing to another fight. However, he wont be taking too much time off, expressing interest in action before 2014 rolls around.

I got a couple trips planned with my kids this summer so Id like to at least have a summer this year and then get back in there before the end of the year, said Henderson on his immediate agenda.
    The 29-10 Henderson won three fights at middleweight before signing with Strikeforce in 2010. Among the victories were wins over Rich Franklin and Michael Bisping.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Dan is my favorite fighter and I'll admit when the fight was over I thought that maybe it's time he should hang them up. He just doesn't have the speed or mobility to compete at the highest level anymore. I also can't stand that he seems to have forgotten about his wrestling and has become to predictable looking for the H-Bomb. That said I got pretty excited when he rocked Rashad in the first.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Dan's done the same thing and said the same thing in every decision loss I can remember.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I say for now, let Hendo go the the Franklin route and give him fights fans want to see but really won't effect the title picture. If he wins 2-3 in a row then put him back in contention.

Personally, I want to see Hendo v. Wandy III. If it is ever going to happen it should be now.

No way should he retire though. He is coming off two close loses to two Top 5 LHWs. He might never been champion again but he still has plenty of left in the tank.
    Dude, Im a wrestler. Im the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thats all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by IrishX(aka bornbear) View Post
    Dan is my favorite fighter and I'll admit when the fight was over I thought that maybe it's time he should hang them up. He just doesn't have the speed or mobility to compete at the highest level anymore. I also can't stand that he seems to have forgotten about his wrestling and has become to predictable looking for the H-Bomb. That said I got pretty excited when he rocked Rashad in the first.
    People said that when he lost to Jake Shields. People then turned around and said he was back on his game when he beat Fedor.

Is it fair to say that fight fans can be quite fickle?
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    People said that when he lost to Jake Shields. People then turned around and said he was back on his game when he beat Fedor.

Is it fair to say that fight fans can be quite fickle?
    Not sure. Everyone has an opinion. I can only speak for myself.

I sincerely hope you're not saying I'm fickle. If you knew me in the slightest you would laugh at the thought.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    I say for now, let Hendo go the the Franklin route and give him fights fans want to see but really won't effect the title picture. If he wins 2-3 in a row then put him back in contention.

Personally, I want to see Hendo v. Wandy III. If it is ever going to happen it should be now.

No way should he retire though. He is coming off two close loses to two Top 5 LHWs. He might never been champion again but he still has plenty of left in the tank.
    I would like to see a fight with Wandy again too.

Even Cung Le (if Cung loses his next fight) Forrest would have been a good fight. Big Nog could be a good fight...maybe even Mark Hunt...as long as Hendo could make 206...or Big Country if the UFC decides to keep him.

The speed of Rashad and Lyoto just made him look extra slow and immobile.

I expect Hendo takes some time off again. Hopefully he gets to chose an opponent who isn't one of the fastest in their division and doesn't just take the fight he is given....because it seems the UFC matchmakers seem to have it out for him.

The 29-10 Henderson won three fights at middleweight before signing with Strikeforce in 2010. Among the victories were wins over Rich Franklin and Michael Bisping.
    Hendo beat Bisping you say? I wonder if some kind soul could post some type of repeating picture of said victory, to remind us all

Thread Information