Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Ellenberger: Rory MacDonald Was Invented by the Media and Sold to the Fans

1. Default Jake Ellenberger: Rory MacDonald Was Invented by the Media and Sold to the Fans

Jake Ellenberger: Rory MacDonald Was Invented by the Media and Sold to the Fans | Bleacher Report

It's safe to say UFC on Fox 8 fighter Jake Ellenberger is not buying the hype surrounding his next opponent, Rory MacDonald.

The two fighters have recently engaged in a back and-forth war on Twitter, but even before that, Ellenberger didn't seem to care much for the overinflated way MacDonald is being promoted as a top-five welterweight.

According to the current UFC rankings, MacDonald actually sits one spot ahead of Ellenberger, and he believes the young Canadian is more artificial than reality.
    "The thing with Rory, too, is he's been invented by the media," Ellenberger said in a recent interview with Bleacher Report. "He's been invented and sold to the fans and no disrespect, he is a talented fighter. I do agree with that, he is skilled, he's got a lot of potential. But we don't know how good he is. I'm glad I've got this fight."
    Ellenberger hopes to expose MacDonald in the Octagon when they meet in July, while also possibly earning a long-awaited shot at the UFC welterweight title.

While UFC officials have yet to say the fight between Ellenberger and MacDonald is a No. 1 contender's fight, both fighters being ranked in the top five of the division speaks volumes towards the magnitude of this bout.

"I was told this was going to be the title eliminator fight for the No. 1 contender, but that's not what I'm thinking about," Ellenberger said. "I'm not looking past him at all."
    In the interview, Ellenberger also comments on performance enhancing drugs in MMA, and welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre's influence on his next opponent.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

I hope jake takes this, rory just bugs me... I don't have a good reason for it. Just don't like him.

3. Default

Jake has the power to end anyones night.

I think eventually Jakes hard training camps will catch him. His camp goes hard like the old Chute Box guys did and you take a lot of damage that way
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

4. Default

Anyone else catch that this is for the #1 contender spot?
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Anyone else catch that this is for the #1 contender spot?
    Maybe if Ellen wins yea. Maybe. But Rory and GSP aren't fighting each other cuz they're BFFs or some shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I'd like to see Rory getknocked out
    [CENTER]"The time is almost upon us....
    I will remake this pathetic orb in my image, and then the stars."
    Apocalypse

Rory was invented the night he absolutely mauled Nate Diaz then followed it up by stopping Mike Pyle and battering BJ Penn.

He's easy to dislike but his work in the cage speaks for itself. I'm a huge Condit fan but he was losing the fight to Rory pretty handily until the end.

Ellenberger can win this but I just think he has been a bit overrated himself although he's seemingly improved in his last two fights.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Rory was invented the night he absolutely mauled Nate Diaz then followed it up by stopping Mike Pyle and battering BJ Penn.

He's easy to dislike but his work in the cage speaks for itself. I'm a huge Condit fan but he was losing the fight to Rory pretty handily until the end.

Ellenberger can win this but I just think he has been a bit overrated himself although he's seemingly improved in his last two fights.
    You're right, that his wins have been stellar, but 2 of wins (Diaz, Penn) were against legitimate LW. The size difference was apparent, more so in the Rory/Penn fight, as it noticeably appeared like it was a MW vs a LW.

While his wins have been great, his best WW win to date is still Mike Pyle. He has yet to defeat anyone in the top 10, much less top 5. It makes no sense that the UFC has Rory at #4.

Rory is like the Overeem (back when AO was KO cans), in the sense that he has the potential to beat anyone in the top 10, but his resume is not up to par with his skillset. Rory will be a top 10 WW, but he needs to beat the Hendricks, Ellenberger, Shields, Kampmann, Nick Diaz, Koscheck, Maia of the WW division, and not the Che Mills and LW trying to move up to WW of the division.

LW trying to move up to WW of the division
    Penn was hardly a LW trying to move up. He's a former champ there who had also arguably given GSP the most trouble short of the Serra debacle and his choking vs. Hughes.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Penn was hardly a LW trying to move up. He's a former champ there who had also arguably given GSP the most trouble short of the Serra debacle and his choking vs. Hughes.
    Well when the UFC disbanded the LW division (2003), it left Penn with no choice but to move up to WW. And the most success he's had at WW is defeating Hughes for the title (2004), and giving GSP a run for his money in the first fight, in 2006. But this is before GSP became a stronger, strategic fighter. At the same time, the WW division was very weak when Hughes was ruling it. Guys like Kos, Fitch, Diego, Karo, Alves were young and establishing themselves, while Kampmann didnt move down to WW till 2009, same time Condit crossed over to UFC from WEC.

Thread Information