Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones Wants to Make Movies

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    That's a damn good point, Snigs. Lots of real fans hoping their favorites don't step away from the sport because they want to see them continue to succeed and dominate; while there's some (not a lot, but some) evidence that stepping away from the fight game can add more distractions than elite fighters can handle.
    A distraction is all it will be. Jones will not be lauded for a single movie he makes. It's a fact. Actors are studious for years to make themselves look like another person. Rampage looked like Rampage on the A-Team rather than acting like BA Barracus. Acting is a talent that takes years to perfect. You can't learn it in a gym. Just because you are suddenly famous, doesn't mean you have acquired a new skillset.

Any time he spends on a movie set doing anything other than endorsements or cameos is a superficial move that will only serve to sap his athletic talents.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 06-24-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Expendables 1 and 2

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Expendables 1 and 2
    That's great. Randy has the time to spend with acting coaches/teachers --- he is retired.

Just because one fighter was in an action movie that was halfway decent aside from the explosions does not mean that every MMA that follows will have great preformances.

I just think he should stick to doing what he's good at....

So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Pop Quiz:
    Q:which champion of a major fight org didn't get criticized when he branched out into film?

A: Cung Le. he won the SF MW championship, and then vacated it to make three or four [crap] films in rapid succession. He wasn't trying to do both things at once, he wasn't holding a title hostage while he satisfied his vanity.

If Jones wants to go make films, all power to him...if he walks away from his title.

rh
    Also depends on the type of movie/budget/production has been put into the film.

When Never Surrender came out (which has GSP, Anderson Silva, Rampage, BJ Penn and Heath Herring) no one cared because each fighter spent maybe a week a most on filming (probably 1 or two days) since the movie had a crap budget and the movie itself was crap.

With Cung Le, he actually went through acting classes and spent time out of the country with the rest of the actors in the movie socializing and trying to learn.

Same thing Quinton did with the A-Team, but like you mentioned, Quinton broke contract to do it. Although I thought that when the movie (A-Team) was released, their animosity for the movie that took Rampage away from them went out the window as they sponsored a UFC event or two.

I don't remember anyone complaining back in 2007-2008 when Rich Franklin made Cyborg Soldier with Tiffany Amber Thiessen...but it looks like he filmed it right after he fought and lost to Anderson Silva the second time....he took some time off, filmed the movie, then came back to fight Travis Lutter in mid 2008.

I think it may have to do more with being a huge draw and a contender.

Fans weren't up in arms when Mike Pyle did Universal Soldier: Regeneration in 2009. He fought four times in 2008 before getting under contract with the UFC and still managed to fight twice in 2009 (first fight in May of '09 was with just 1 week notice) But I guess not many people cared/knew about him then. What's weird is that Andrei Arlovski was in the same movie (and had a more pivotal role) and just quit the UFC to do that same movie....probably filmed the movie the same time he KOd Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson.

In the end, it probably comes down to how much time and effort the fighter puts into his acting role.

I know Cung put a lot of time into filming and learning to act when he did Pandorum, but I doubt he put in as much time into a few movies he did before and after that. Even though he may have even had more screen time in Man with the Iron Fists, you are right, since he didn't have a title an hold a belt ransom, fans weren't as upset.

I think most fans don't even realize how many UFC fighters have been in movies and don't watch most of the movies that fighters are in.

Quote Originally Posted by beau420 View Post
    With Cung Le, he actually went through acting classes and spent time out of the country with the rest of the actors in the movie socializing and trying to learn.
    And, again, he had very little speaking time in notable films. Most of Le's Hollywood experience and value has been behind the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by beau420 View Post
    I don't remember anyone complaining back in 2007-2008 when Rich Franklin made Cyborg Soldier with Tiffany Amber Thiessen...but it looks like he filmed it right after he fought and lost to Anderson Silva the second time....he took some time off, filmed the movie, then came back to fight Travis Lutter in mid 2008.
    Because he was just finished badly for the second time by the champ. He needed time off, was clearly out of the title picture for the foreseeable future, and wasn't holding the title hostage. I think others in this thread have already made the point about mucking up the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    That's great. Randy has the time to spend with acting coaches/teachers --- he is retired.

Just because one fighter was in an action movie that was halfway decent aside from the explosions does not mean that every MMA that follows will have great preformances.
    This. Also, Randy had very little speaking screen time in those movies and he wasn't terribly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I just think he should stick to doing what he's good at....
    I often agree with you, but Fe, come on! Do you know how much money it costs to crash a Bentley?!

I often agree with you, but Fe, come on! Do you know how much money it costs to crash a Bentley?!
    Didn't UFC just buy him another one?

So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post

and it also doesnt suggest that every mma fighter will do a terrible job like you - and many others on here are suggesting, since everyone has been basing it off what OTHER fighters have done and not what Jones himself has done.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Riv made it very clear why he should walk away from his title;

Because like you said, theres no logical reason for him to walk away from it other than him not liking him.
    I'll be honest with you. I too don't give a fuck about Jon Jones but I won't shit on him because he wants to step out of the cage and do a side project. As long as he continues meeting his obligations as a fighter he can do whatever the fuck he wants to imo.

For the record the only reason I don't like him is because I find him arrogant and I hate arrogant people. People like that need to have their ass whipped on a regular basis so they stay grounded.

I fell the same way about Rashad Evans.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I say let him do what he likes and makes him happy.

Who cares? Right now he's been so dominant he's likely getting bored with it. RJJ went through the same phase. I just hope, for his sake not mine because I'm not a fan by any stretch, that he's more successful at it than RJJ was.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information