Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burkman becomes only 2nd person to submit Fitch

Default Burkman becomes only 2nd person to submit Fitch

WSoF 3 results: Burkman becomes only 2nd person to submit Fitch - Mixed Martial Arts News

Jon Fitch lost his first professional fight via submission, back in 2002. No one submitted him since, until Friday night.

Seconds into the main event at WSoF 4, Josh Burkman dropped Fitch wth a right hook, continued striking on the ground, and then sunk a guillotine. Fitch went out and the fight was over.

It took just 41 seconds.
    UFC president was incensed that the ref took so long to stop the bout, and voiced his alarm via Twitter.

Dana White ‏@danawhite
    Glad Burkman stopped. Mazzagatti is a clueless idiot who will hurt someone and continue to ruin guys legacies. Much respect Josh

Dana White Dana White ‏@danawhite
    NSAC needs to seriously do something!! When you have been a ref that long and still don't know what u r doing its time to go away!!!!!

Quick results:

Main Card (streamed lived on the UG for international members, 8:30 p.m. ET. Aired on NBC Sports Network, 11 p.m. ET for USA members).
    Josh Burkman beat Jon Fitch via submission (guillotine) at :41 of Round 1
    Steve Carl beat Tyson Steele via submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:32 of Round 1
    Jacob Volkmann beat Lyle Beerbohm via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
    Justin Gaethje beat Brian Cobb via TKO (low kicks) at 2:19 of round three

Josh Burkman Surprised How Quickly He Finished Jon Fitch
    http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2013/0615/555933/
    "I believe that I have a lot of potential and I'm going get a lot better, but that doesn't mean I don't surprise myself sometimes," said Burkman to MMA Weekly post-fight. "I didn't expect to stop Jon Fitch in the first round."
    Jon Fitch Says He’ll Be Back Following Quick WSOF 3 Defeat
    http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/201...932/jon-fitch/
    Jon Fitch ✔ @jonfitchdotnet

Sorry to everyone who has supported me. Went for the slam instead of defending the choke. I'll be back.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 06-16-2013 at 12:56 AM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Gahd mazzagatti was at his worst in that fight. Had that been someone like palhares and not burkman Fitch would be dead.

I always liked Burkman. Good fighter with heart, who doesnt quit

Congrats!

who needs a ref..

Burkman is a good fighter....IMO is that he doesnt great in the first the fades after that...In all his UFC fights I would say he won the first round then faded and seemed to be tired after that...

Looks like Dana was right for cutting Fitch

Talk about someones stock falling fast.

Can you change the title so that people who wanted to watch the fight don't see the result when they go to log onto the UFC 161 board?

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Can you change the title so that people who wanted to watch the fight don't see the result when they go to log onto the UFC 161 board?
    I thought there was a time limit for spoilers? Aren't we passed that?

not a Fitch fan but what do u guys make of the way Burkeman flipped him, kinda tossed his head and stood over him when he should have been getting help. Everyone was glad that Burkeman let go of the hold since Mazzi was useless but the method of release and throw back plus the posing that wasnt very thoughtful should we blame that on the ref too?

Thread Information