Thread: Roger Gracie on Chris Weidman: 'He can tap anyone, even me'

1. Default Roger Gracie on Chris Weidman: 'He can tap anyone, even me'

Roger Gracie on Chris Weidman: 'He can tap anyone, even me' - Bloody Elbow

When it comes to Brazilian jiu-jitsu, the Gracie name obviously carries a lot of weight. The latest Gracie to make his UFC debut is Roger Gracie, who is known as one of the best grapplers in the world. He'll face off with Tim Kennedy on the UFC 162 main card, and he took the time to talk to ESPN about his famous family, his bout with Kennedy, and other bouts on the card. The biggest thing to come out of the interview is that believes that headliner Chris Weidman can give UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva some trouble if he gets him into the right situations. And he thinks Weidman is even good enough to submit him:

I think [Weidman] is very, very dangerous. His grappling is at a very high level. He can submit any world-class grappler. I think he’s really that good. He can tap anyone, even me. It’s just a matter of if he can put Anderson in those situations. I would still put my money on Anderson but I think Chris Weidman is dangerous and can surprise him.
    Interesting indeed. He also talked about how many in his family being against his move over to MMA:

I’ve had a lot of pressure in my family from uncles and cousins telling me not to do MMA because the sport now it not what it used to be. Now they have massive strong guys and everybody knows jiu-jitsu. They were telling me there is nothing more to prove -- everything has been proven already. But I think each one follows his own path and this is mine.
    The rest of the interview is definitely worth a read, where he talks more about Kennedy, why he's not in MMA to win a belt, and the future of the Gracie family. You can check it out here.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

That's a pretty huge compliment coming from a guy like Roger. I think the real key for Weidman though will be if he can actually get into a position where he can go for a submission. I for one think he could, but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I think the second quote re. his uncles and cousins pressuring him leave MMA alone because there are "massive strong guys and everyone knows jiu jitsu" is more enlightening and interesting.

It just oozes "the playing field is level now everyone knows jiu jitsu so I'm going to take my ball and go home" mentality.

It also smacks of the arrogant and misguided perspective Gracie Jiu Jitsu is all you need. MIXED martial arts to my way of thinking displayed an evolutionary process where one person has success with a particular art or technique and others adapt by learning that same art and/or learning to counter it. Exactly the opposite of getting emotionally tied to one art ONLY at the expense of being open minded.

Quote Originally Posted by lewk4 View Post
    It also smacks of the arrogant and misguided perspective Gracie Jiu Jitsu is all you need. MIXED martial arts to my way of thinking displayed an evolutionary process where one person has success with a particular art or technique and others adapt by learning that same art and/or learning to counter it. Exactly the opposite of getting emotionally tied to one art ONLY at the expense of being open minded.
    I don't think the gracies preach that BJJ is all you need, just that if you are going to learn 1 martial art to defend yourself, bjj is the best one. I think that quote shows that they do understand that mma has evolved, which is why they feel it moved passed them. Gracies are famous for helping mma become what it is today, and because of that a lot of people hold them on a very high pedestal, but they have nothing to prove to us anymore.

I am pretty sure Maia can submit just about anyone too and we know how that fight turned out.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    I am pretty sure Maia can submit just about anyone too and we know how that fight turned out.
    The difference here is that Weidman has other tools. He can take Anderson down and his striking is a hell of a lot better than Maia's. Not saying he'll be able to stand with Anderson but he stands a much better chance than Maia.

Your comparison is foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I'm a huge mark for Roger. P4p, he's one of the best grapplers on the entire planet. If this isn't nonsensical hype, it's a scary thought.

But unfortunately, I think this is nonsensical hype.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    There is no way Maia would be submitting Roger. I don't even think it would be competitive. If I'm not mistaken, Roger took Demian to school while he was still a brown belt, and Maia was already awarded a black. Demian just gives up too much size there, and Roger is a better wrestler. He's ADCC OW champion.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

My last memory of Roger was watching him get KTFO by King Mo. Regardless I would love to see Maia vs Roger if you know where I can get the clip.
    Right now I'm not buying too much into Roger's comments as I feel they have no bearing on the fight with Silva vs Weidman.

Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Thread Information