Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy Couture on being banned from cornering son Ryan: 'It's ridiculous'

1. Default Randy Couture on being banned from cornering son Ryan: 'It's ridiculous'

Randy Couture on being banned from cornering son Ryan: 'It's ridiculous' - MMA Fighting

Randy Couture has long let Dana White's words about him slide off his back.

The UFC Hall of Famer and five-time champion is known almost as much for his up-and-down relationship with his former boss as he is for his exploits in the cage.

So when White verbally tees off on Couture, as he did back in December, when Couture left his UFC commentating gig to co-star in Spike TV's "Fight Master" reality series, he doesn't let it get to him.
    "I don't take any of that personal," Couture said. "I don't really tune into The Underground and all that other stuff. People come to me and they say, ‘Oh, he said this and he said that.' I don't care; I know what the truth is. I know how I have treated people, how I tried to treat them. And yeah, fighting with them to get a fair shake and be told the truth and, it's been a struggle all along, from ancillary rights down the line. I don't take any of that personal. I don't really tune into it."
    However, there's one area that gets under Couture's skin. As Couture explained on a recent edition of The MMA Hour, the fact he's banned from cornering his son, Ryan, during his UFC fights is taking things a step too far.

"With Ryan competing and not allowing me to continue to progress and work with my son in his fight career is ridiculous," Couture said. "And that bothers me."
    Ryan Couture was among the many fighters who transferred over from Strikeforce to the UFC when parent company Zuffa shut down the fight promotion it acquired in 2011. Randy Couture had been a fixture in his son's corner during his Strikeforce fights, as Ryan ran his MMA record to 6-1.

But Couture the elder wasn't in Ryan's corner during his UFC debut on April 6, as he lost a second-round TKO to Ross Pearson in Sweden.

Whether Randy Couture's presence would have affected the outcome against the hard-hitting, more experienced Pearson is up for debate, but it's the principle of the matter which most bothers Couture.

"With Ryan competing and not allowing me to continue to progress and work with my son in his fight career, it's ridiculous and that bothers me," Couture said. "It bothers me that he could affect my son's livelihood. My son has earned his spot. Ryan has done the work, he has the passion for the sport and he's doing all of the right things. So for him to be hindered and hampered by Dana and Dana's feelings towards me, it isn't fair and that bothers me."
    Ryan Couture, for his part, has been diplomatic when asked about the situation. Randy Couture has no such need for diplomacy. He turns the situation on his head and asks how White would like it if he meddled in the life of White's family.

"When you start talking about somebody's kids and their family, yeah, you're crossing the line," he said. "I don't think he would like it if I did those sorts of things to him. I know his wife, I know his kids. He's got my sons fate in his hands in some way here."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

& these are the things you have to keep in mind when you do business. Randy decided to work with the competition and decided to do so in a somewhat of a shady way after the UFC put in the spot to be a permanent commentator for all of the televised events.
    I am certain he would have been worked into many other things as they are doing and have done with Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes etc. If this was something so dire then Randy should have considered this prior to moving on. I am all for a guy getting a better paycheck but please I wish he would quit acting as if he is the victim in all of the UFC vs Randy skirmishes.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Old news since this was on the podcast, literally, a week ago. He's right though. Cornermen and people should be going through the athletic commission not the fuckin' UFC or more accurately, cry-baby dana.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    & these are the things you have to keep in mind when you do business. Randy decided to work with the competition and decided to do so in a somewhat of a shady way after the UFC put in the spot to be a permanent commentator for all of the televised events.
    I am certain he would have been worked into many other things as they are doing and have done with Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes etc. If this was something so dire then Randy should have considered this prior to moving on. I am all for a guy getting a better paycheck but please I wish he would quit acting as if he is the victim in all of the UFC vs Randy skirmishes.
    You're kidding right? The man left to what he felt is a better gig and Dana got butt hurt and started trashing him then banned him from cornering his son. Unless the Randy has done something while CORNERING the UFC (more importantly bitch ass Dana) should not be allowed to ban him. Thats complete trash. Dana is the biggest bitch in the business.

I definitely understand where Randy is coming from. At the same time, Randy shouldn't be surprised and should have seen this coming.

Couture has never scratched the back of the company that gave him more opportunities than he deserved. The UFC has put Randy up and always took care of him. No one can really question that. Randy, on the other hand, has done very little for the company that he built his legacy in.

Is it a petty move on Dana's part to ban him from cage side? Yes. Is it a business move equally so? I'm sure it is. Randy is becoming one of the faces of Bellator.

So, while I see where Randy is coming from, I see where the UFC is coming from, and I'm not really shocked.

I don't think I could stomach banning a father from coaching his son all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine2878 View Post
    You're kidding right? The man left to what he felt is a better gig and Dana got butt hurt and started trashing him then banned him from cornering his son. Unless the Randy has done something while CORNERING the UFC (more importantly bitch ass Dana) should not be allowed to ban him. Thats complete trash. Dana is the biggest bitch in the business.
    You can call Dana the biggest bitch, hate Dana's guts, says he shit on fighters blah blah blah etc (and I am not denying any of the above) but at the end of the day he is a cutthroat businessman and it's not like this is old news. He knew Dana is a cut throat and since the UFC cannot hurt his pockets they can hurt his pride (in context connected to cornering his son). It would be different if they cut Ryan and threw him under the bus due to Randy's action but they did not.

I really wish people would quit acting as if Randy didn't fuck over the UFC in the past with the whole wanting to fight Fedor fiasco, signing to do EA Sports MMA video game while the UFC was competing with it etc and even after all of that the UFC still in turn brought him back and gave him a title fight his first fight in and then gave him big money fights afterwards. The UFC took care of Randy quite a bit and set him up with a good gig after retirement so OF COURSE the company is going to feel slighted when the guy goes to the competition.

I acknowledged Randy did what was best for himself (in his mind) but the UFC is direly loyal to the guys who are company guys (see Liddell/Hughes/Forrest/Bonnar and others) and they were setting up to make Randy one of them as I noted in the post above.
    Please do read all of what I said as I understand Randy's point of leaving (although I disagree as loyalty still means something) but I am also not mad a the UFC lashing back out due to the slight. If you (as a business) allow people to slight you with absolutely no consequences then your ship sinks. If you allow fighters to make a name off of you and then use that as a launching pad to get more money with the competition then you will fail as a business. Randy used his fame as a mixed martial artists and UFC fighter to get endorsements and movie deals etc basically get paid elsewhere than with the UFC and that is ok and no one complained and the UFC even ran the advertisements of the Expendables.

Randy used this fame to make money with the competition....this is where he went wrong, not just making money in general.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

if any of you basically spit in the face of your boss on MULTIPLE occasions you would probably be banned from that establishment as well. The UFC is no different, its just that everyone hates Dana White so when ever he is somewhat involved in a situation its instantly his fault and nothing can be said to change those peoples opinions.

Randy was asked on a few occasions if he was going to Bellator - he said no, that everything was good and he had just got the deal with the UFC and Fox to do the broadcasting gig and then he opts out of his contract a few days later and go signs with Bellator. If he was a real man he would have been straight with everyone and said what he was doing, not lie to Dana and the UFC's face and then leaves and avoids all calls from Dana...

8. Default

Didnt Randy leave his contract with obligations still unfufilled? for the 2nd time?

Didnt Dana talk to Ryan immediately following "banning" Randy from all events, and ask him if he wanted to continue with the UFC, or be let out of his contract?

So, How is Dana having a negative effect on Ryan's livelihood?

Really it's the UFC right not to have someone at their events if they don't want them there.
    Does not matter the history behind Dana and Randy if the UFC (Dana) don't want Randy at an event so be it.
    Randy is working for a Direct competitor of Zuffa and could end up seeing and hearing things he could take back to Bellator with the intent of trying to hurt the ufc.

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    Really it's the UFC right not to have someone at their events if they don't want them there.
    Does not matter the history behind Dana and Randy if the UFC (Dana) don't want Randy at an event so be it.
    Randy is working for a Direct competitor of Zuffa and could end up seeing and hearing things he could take back to Bellator with the intent of trying to hurt the ufc.
    LOL what is he going to see or hear while cornering that could hurt the UFC? LOL!

Thread Information