Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anderson Silva says Georges St. Pierre had a chance to fight him but chose not to

1. Default

Challenging a smaller fighter is a bitch move. If you don't think your weight-class is challenging enough, go up in weight, not down.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Challenging a smaller fighter is a bitch move. If you don't think your weight-class is challenging enough, go up in weight, not down.
    I prefer "bully" to "bitch" but otherwise agreed. Hell, there was a time where Frank Mir was willing to fight Anderson Silva. THAT would be a statement. Have the best striker of all time beat an undersized guy who's known for getting rocked a little too easily... Not sure what that proves other than the fact that casual fans would pay a lot of money for it. Of course, they'd pay a lot of money for Silva/Jones too.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    It should also be noted that neither Jones or Silva are in a rush to fight each other. I don't know why people think its just Silva when both Jones and Silva have went on record to say they don't want to fight eachother.

Sounds like another case of selective reading.
    Uhhhh, so Jones and GSP both say they aren't interested in fighting Silva. Thus it's totally sane to justify Silva not fighting Jones but that same argument doesn't apply to GSP in your weird weird world
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

If he wants to fight gsp so bad drop the weight beat a top five guy at 170 and make it so the UFC has to give you the fight. Just like if he wanted to fight jones go to 205 fight someone top five and make it so they have to give you the fight
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    I prefer "bully" to "bitch" but otherwise agreed. Hell, there was a time where Frank Mir was willing to fight Anderson Silva. THAT would be a statement. Have the best striker of all time beat an undersized guy who's known for getting rocked a little too easily... Not sure what that proves other than the fact that casual fans would pay a lot of money for it. Of course, they'd pay a lot of money for Silva/Jones too.

GSP does not get rocked a little too easy. Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    GSP does not get rocked a little too easy. Come on.
    I'm not on the "glass jaw" bandwagon like some, but he definitely doesn't have the ability to absorb a shot the way he once did or the way many UFC champs do.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

the real superfight i want to see is "jon jones vs Cain Velasquez".
    Lets face the obvious; Jon will eventually make the jump to HW and this would be the PPV of the year. I'd pay $65 for a 25 minute PPV, not that it would go that long.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Silva doesn't look down on GSP as some poor defenseless champion at ww. He clearly stated that he wanted to fight GSP first then Jones later. Silva has been trying to fight GSP long before Jones even entered the UFC. GSP wanted to fight Diaz over Hendricks and has never fought outside of his weight class like Silva whose now 38.

I am not sure what would Jones benefit from beating a guy 10+ years older than him and much smaller. At least GSP is more accomplished and was once considered GOAT. Also his wrestling would likely give Silva fits. This super fight would be no easy win for either fighter.

It should also be noted that neither Jones or Silva are in a rush to fight each other. I don't know why people think its just Silva when both Jones and Silva have went on record to say they don't want to fight eachother.

Sounds like another case of selective reading.
    Agreed and never said that he did, but that's not my point. My point is that I believe if you are the bigger fighter, then your biggest challenges are going to be the bigger fighters....not the fighters in a smaller weight division. Of course GSP would give him trouble, he's one of the top MMA fighters out there. BJ gave Machida a lot of trouble, but you don't really see Machida calling out LW fighters. It was BJ that came up to fight Machida. I understand wanting to fight GSP because of all of the GOAT talk, but you are still fighting a smaller fighter. And, yes, Anderson has been talking about this for a long time...but even when he first mentioned it, I thought he would be better tested going to LHW even before Jones.

As far as Jones goes, I think the fight would be much more of a challenge for Anderson than GSP. Most of the guys I have heard talk about the "superfights" could care less about seeing Anderson fight GSP. I think at one time, it would have been a really big fight but I believe now that time has passed.

In all honesty, I think the window for Anderson having a superfight is about to close. He is not getting any younger and GSP has made it very clear that it will take him a while to get ready for the fight ONCE he decided to take it. GSP, being considered one of the GOAT, beating a 40 year old (or older) Anderson just wouldn't really blow my mind that much.

And no sir, it's not selective reading... I understand that Anderson was responding to GSPs comments about Weidman, but it just seems like the reply was throwing the bait out hoping that GSP would finally bite.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    And no sir, it's not selective reading... I understand that Anderson was responding to GSPs comments about Weidman, but it just seems like the reply was throwing the bait out hoping that GSP would finally bite.
    with the sheer volume of effort Anderson has put into pursuing a vanity fight with a smaller, disinterested fighter, I think it's moved beyond bait and qualfies as chum by now.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Thread Information