Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva says Georges St. Pierre had a chance to fight him but chose not to

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    When Silva asks for a fight with Jones instead of discussing much smaller fighters I'll start caring.
    So if Jones asked for the Silva fight wouldnt you not care because he is the smaller fighter...?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Are GSP and Weidman boys or was it just a one off question somebody asked GSP?
    Yeah they are boys, both train BJJ under the same Gracie i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    You tell that coward, Anderson! I bet GSP just wants to continue fighting the contenders in his weight class because he has respect for his title. Keep hiding behind that belt Georges! The real heroes will be busy calling out guys smaller than them, and getting pissy when anyone says anyone can beat them.
    meh.

Georges lost credibility by ducking Hendricks to face Diaz. I'd be happy to give him credit for just wanting to fight the best in his division, but he squandered that for a vanity fight.

To Anderson's credit, he hasn't bothered to comment on whether Hendricks will KTFO Georges. I honestly doubt he could be bothered to care.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Are GSP and Weidman boys or was it just a one off question somebody asked GSP?
    There is a connection via Renzo, and the question was asked directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    UFC 162’s Anderson Silva unsure if he’ll fulfill 10-fight UFC contract, has other desires like fighting Roy Jones Jr.
    yeah. contracts are made to be broken, dog.
    integrity is totes situational. totes.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    So if Jones asked for the Silva fight wouldnt you not care because he is the smaller fighter...?
    ...any time a fighter calls out a guy in a weight class lighter than them, they look like a punkass bully. If Georges was looking to fight Henderson, he'd look just as weak.

Pursuing the case after it was made clear on multiple times that said lighter-weight-class-fighter wasn't interested just makes it worse.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I honestly don't care to see either superfight (GSP/Silva, Silva/JJ).

Let's state the obvious. Silva is the superior striker among the three. GSP and Jones striking put together isn't on par with Silva. Neither guy will look to stand with Silva for more than 10 sec. Both guy's gameplans will be centered on taking him down.

I don't see GSP taking Silva down. He's just too small compared to Silva. At the same time, Silva has improved his TDD a lot over the last couple of fights, and given how his footwork is one of the best, he can keep GSP chasing after him for TD.

Jones on the other hand would have significant reach and some size advantage on Silva. I don't see him struggling much taking Silva down, and using GnP. But given Silva's BJJ, and long limbs, he would make it interesting from the bottom. But Jones strong wrestling and longer limbs would probably overpower Silva on the ground. It could end up being Chael/Silva 1, with Jones lasting all 25min for the decision win.

I still think the best superfight out there is a healthy Dominic Cruz vs Aldo. Both are more closer in weight, and both love to stand. The fight would be a lot more entertaining.

GSP vs Silva will most likely never happen. As much of a GSP fan that I am I don't think he wants that fight. I can see Silva vs Jones happening but even then I'm not holding my breathe as I don't think Anderson wants that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

...any time a fighter calls out a guy in a weight class lighter than them, they look like a punkass bully. If Georges was looking to fight Henderson, he'd look just as weak.

Pursuing the case after it was made clear on multiple times that said lighter-weight-class-fighter wasn't interested just makes it worse.

rh
    Kind of like Bigfoot Silva calling out Thiago Silva... Everyone was shit talking Bigfoot for calling out someone in a lower weight class yet Anderson seems to get a pass for it, if Anderson was talking at MW and not a catch weight that is.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 06-27-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

It's like when a bully keeps poking the smaller guy in the chest over and over again in front of everyone when the guy said he doesn't want to fight. If Silva got his way and beat the shit out of GSP, he'd celebrate it as one of his greatest wins, if not the greatest.

I wonder how Silva would feel if Jones had a few more dominant finishes under his belt and was the real tough asshole type, and actually desired to be the guy to beat him. What if he kept poking Silva in the chest in front of everyone, got what he wanted, and then actually succeeded in beating him down convincingly? I remember how Silva suddenly became Jon's best friend after he killed Shogun, Page, and Machida in the same year.

I don't know what i'm trying to point out here, and am on some meds right now that are making me dizzy, but yeah. Take that!
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    meh.

Georges lost credibility by ducking Hendricks to face Diaz. I'd be happy to give him credit for just wanting to fight the best in his division, but he squandered that for a vanity fight.

To Anderson's credit, he hasn't bothered to comment on whether Hendricks will KTFO Georges. I honestly doubt he could be bothered to care.

rh
    GSP's 1 defense a year is more harmful to his credibility then the single time he was allowed to choose to fight #3 instead of #2, based on higher financial gain. It's a business, after all.

You're never gonna let GSP live that down, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    The thing about GSP is that his reasoning for moving up hasn't changed any. He seems to have a plan in place that he is following step by step. Had GSP swayed back and forth with different reasons for not moving up for the super fight, I might give a little more credit to Anderson's comments. Anderson has a point, but I just don't like the fact that he is challenging a guy in the lighter division instead of challenging in the other direction.
    Silva doesn't look down on GSP as some poor defenseless champion at ww. He clearly stated that he wanted to fight GSP first then Jones later. Silva has been trying to fight GSP long before Jones even entered the UFC. GSP wanted to fight Diaz over Hendricks and has never fought outside of his weight class like Silva whose now 38.

I am not sure what would Jones benefit from beating a guy 10+ years older than him and much smaller. At least GSP is more accomplished and was once considered GOAT. Also his wrestling would likely give Silva fits. This super fight would be no easy win for either fighter.

It should also be noted that neither Jones or Silva are in a rush to fight each other. I don't know why people think its just Silva when both Jones and Silva have went on record to say they don't want to fight eachother.

Sounds like another case of selective reading.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    I am not sure what would Jones benefit from beating a guy 10+ years older than him and much smaller.
    Jones would gain far more by beating Anderson than Silva would by beating Georges.

At least GSP is more accomplished and was once considered GOAT.
    Bullshit.

GSP has never been seriously considered the GOAT. Maybe--maybe the GOAT at WW, which is a weight class below Anderson.

But ultimately, Georges is the smaller, uninterested fighter. It doesn't matter what you think Anderson thinks--because you certainly don't know, anymore than I do, or anyone else on the web. Anderson is bigger than Georges. Georges doesn't want to fight. That equates to punkass bully, every time.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information