Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Gracie: Anderson Silva 'not a humble guy'

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,194

    Default Gracie: Anderson Silva 'not a humble guy'

    Gracie: Anderson Silva 'not a humble guy' - Mixed Martial Arts News

    Renzo Gracie is a legend in mixed martial arts and perhaps one of the most respected members of the community. Gracie has been a big part of helping Chris Weidman prepare for UFC 162, and when asked about Anderson Silva, had some choices words about the champion:

    Gracie tells The Fight Network (video here) it's because Silva does not respect his opponents.

    "Anderson is a guy that rubs many people the wrong way. He's not a humble guy. Even though he may speak humbly when he talks, when he's in the ring he doesn't act humble. He puts down his opponents. He acts in a way that again, we always know what is right and wrong, and by looking at that, we know it's wrong. It's like you can beat your opponent, but do it with respect."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    All legendary greatness aside I wonder how many people said that about Ali and RJJ? If he is complaining about Silva's "dancing" I would question if he knows anything about capoeria which Silva integrates into his fighting style (Silva vs Maia).

    Last edited by roaddawg; 06-29-2013 at 02:48 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    Almost no professional athletes are humble. The ones that won't shut the fuck up about being humble are the ones that piss me off. Ray Lewis dancing like an idiot, and scream talks about how he is destined for championships. He then follows that all up with scream talking about how humble he is. Anderson wants to be known as humble, but he taunts the shit out of many of his opponents. The Forrest Griffin fight, while an amazing display of absolute dominance, was more than enough show boating and toying with his opponent that he should never even say the word humble again. I don't think I even have to point out the cockiness of Bones Jones or how humble he thinks he is. At least GSP walks the humble walk, but as much as I like him, he probably isn't quite as humble as it would seem. There is just almost no way to be humble when you are great, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it is annoying for those guys to pretend like they are. I am not saying that GSP should act like a cocky ass, I would prefer for him to be a nice guy, but at the same time he has far to much to be proud of to not be insanely proud and confident in his skills and accomplishments. I think for alot of athletes, their "humbleness" has became yet another thing to be proud of. I am good at everything else so I must be humble as shit too. I mean I have to be good at being humble because I am freaking great!
    USA! USA! USA!

    Stealing is wrong!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    All legendary greatness aside I wonder how many people said that about Ali and RJJ?
    They aren't humble! Look up the definition of humble. Ali was great, and pretty funny, but humble he was not. He is pretty much the poster boy for cockiness.
    USA! USA! USA!

    Stealing is wrong!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    They aren't humble! Look up the definition of humble. Ali was great, and pretty funny, but humble he was not. He is pretty much the poster boy for cockiness.
    Exactly and to this day they are all remembered as being the greatest fighters of their time. Clearly fight fans favor entertainment over fighter swag.

    Sometime I question if this topic really just breaks down into a difference amongst cultures.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 06-29-2013 at 03:02 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Deep down the rabbit hole.
    Posts
    7,277

    Default

    I agree. Anderson is not humble at all but it doesn't take away the fact that he's great.

    I appreciate humble guys who are great just like I appreciate the guys who are assholes sometimes (depending on my own personal preference).

    The only thing with being an asshole while you're great is that you better stay great. The minute you get your ass kicked, the haters have everything they need to shit all over you. But it doesn't take away from what they accomplished in most senses.

    EDIT: When it comes to Anderson, I can appreciate how he breaks his opponents down mentally with his taunting, but at the same time, it's sad to watch for the other fighters like Maia, Griffin, and Bonnar.

    I'll never forget how he treated Forrest. It was like Forrest was a child. He was acting like he was being nice to Forrest, shaking his hand, helping him up, and then killing him.

    And roaddawgs sig is another example. It's a double edged sword. I can't bash it because if Silva was my favorite fighter, i'd probably love it.

    Another example I can think of is Nick Diaz. I hated Nick and especially when he beat the shit out of Penn. But that's because I didn't like him and loved BJ.
    Last edited by m1ckeykn0x; 06-29-2013 at 03:03 AM.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

  7. Default

    I should remember what Ali said as I watched many of his fights, but I'm failing to remember if and how cocky he was. He sold the fights great, but not sure how he treating his opponents after a fight. I do remember his taunting was very effective giving him openings to strike.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Almost no professional athletes are humble. The ones that won't shut the fuck up about being humble are the ones that piss me off. Ray Lewis dancing like an idiot, and scream talks about how he is destined for championships. He then follows that all up with scream talking about how humble he is. Anderson wants to be known as humble, but he taunts the shit out of many of his opponents. The Forrest Griffin fight, while an amazing display of absolute dominance, was more than enough show boating and toying with his opponent that he should never even say the word humble again. I don't think I even have to point out the cockiness of Bones Jones or how humble he thinks he is. At least GSP walks the humble walk, but as much as I like him, he probably isn't quite as humble as it would seem. There is just almost no way to be humble when you are great, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it is annoying for those guys to pretend like they are. I am not saying that GSP should act like a cocky ass, I would prefer for him to be a nice guy, but at the same time he has far to much to be proud of to not be insanely proud and confident in his skills and accomplishments. I think for alot of athletes, their "humbleness" has became yet another thing to be proud of. I am good at everything else so I must be humble as shit too. I mean I have to be good at being humble because I am freaking great!
    I bet you hated Prince Naseem

    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    I should remember what Ali said as I watched many of his fights, but I'm failing to remember if and how cocky he was. He sold the fights great, but not sure how he treating his opponents after a fight. I do remember his taunting was very effective giving him openings to strike.
    Ali was totally a humble guy, not cocky in one bit :

    "I'm the most recognized and loved man that ever lived cuz there weren't no satellites when Jesus and Moses were around, so people far away in the villages didn't know about them."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,306

    Default

    I don't give two fucks if a champion is humble or not; he is a fighter not a politician.

    A man can still be good-natured despite being confident.

    It's the skill inside the Octagon/ring I appreciate.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •