Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Gracie: Anderson Silva 'not a humble guy'

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,504

    Default Gracie: Anderson Silva 'not a humble guy'

    Gracie: Anderson Silva 'not a humble guy' - Mixed Martial Arts News

    Renzo Gracie is a legend in mixed martial arts and perhaps one of the most respected members of the community. Gracie has been a big part of helping Chris Weidman prepare for UFC 162, and when asked about Anderson Silva, had some choices words about the champion:

    Gracie tells The Fight Network (video here) it's because Silva does not respect his opponents.

    "Anderson is a guy that rubs many people the wrong way. He's not a humble guy. Even though he may speak humbly when he talks, when he's in the ring he doesn't act humble. He puts down his opponents. He acts in a way that again, we always know what is right and wrong, and by looking at that, we know it's wrong. It's like you can beat your opponent, but do it with respect."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    All legendary greatness aside I wonder how many people said that about Ali and RJJ? If he is complaining about Silva's "dancing" I would question if he knows anything about capoeria which Silva integrates into his fighting style (Silva vs Maia).

    Last edited by roaddawg; 06-29-2013 at 03:48 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    All legendary greatness aside I wonder how many people said that about Ali and RJJ?
    They aren't humble! Look up the definition of humble. Ali was great, and pretty funny, but humble he was not. He is pretty much the poster boy for cockiness.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    They aren't humble! Look up the definition of humble. Ali was great, and pretty funny, but humble he was not. He is pretty much the poster boy for cockiness.
    Exactly and to this day they are all remembered as being the greatest fighters of their time. Clearly fight fans favor entertainment over fighter swag.

    Sometime I question if this topic really just breaks down into a difference amongst cultures.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 06-29-2013 at 04:02 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    They aren't humble! Look up the definition of humble. Ali was great, and pretty funny, but humble he was not. He is pretty much the poster boy for cockiness.
    I think you are agreeing with his quote. He is saying they weren't humble, but they were the best.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I think you are agreeing with his quote. He is saying they weren't humble, but they were the best.
    You would be correct, sir. My apologies, Mr. Dawg.

    Snigs, I do have a problem with flipping the switch on being respectful. Defeat your opponent, and if you are that much better than them then destroy them, but don't act like you have deep respect for them right after you got done toying with them. If you are gonna dance around, act like you are gonna help them up after you knocked them down, and drop your hands then fine. You have proven that you are a badass and that they aren't in your league, but you have also proven that you think they are a joke and that you don't respect them.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    You would be correct, sir. My apologies, Mr. Dawg.

    Snigs, I do have a problem with flipping the switch on being respectful. Defeat your opponent, and if you are that much better than them then destroy them, but don't act like you have deep respect for them right after you got done toying with them. If you are gonna dance around, act like you are gonna help them up after you knocked them down, and drop your hands then fine. You have proven that you are a badass and that they aren't in your league, but you have also proven that you think they are a joke and that you don't respect them.
    I can think someone is below me skill wise, but respect them for trying... Or respect their drive, or just simply their ability to take an ass whoopin' if they last all fight.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,794

    Default

    Almost no professional athletes are humble. The ones that won't shut the fuck up about being humble are the ones that piss me off. Ray Lewis dancing like an idiot, and scream talks about how he is destined for championships. He then follows that all up with scream talking about how humble he is. Anderson wants to be known as humble, but he taunts the shit out of many of his opponents. The Forrest Griffin fight, while an amazing display of absolute dominance, was more than enough show boating and toying with his opponent that he should never even say the word humble again. I don't think I even have to point out the cockiness of Bones Jones or how humble he thinks he is. At least GSP walks the humble walk, but as much as I like him, he probably isn't quite as humble as it would seem. There is just almost no way to be humble when you are great, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it is annoying for those guys to pretend like they are. I am not saying that GSP should act like a cocky ass, I would prefer for him to be a nice guy, but at the same time he has far to much to be proud of to not be insanely proud and confident in his skills and accomplishments. I think for alot of athletes, their "humbleness" has became yet another thing to be proud of. I am good at everything else so I must be humble as shit too. I mean I have to be good at being humble because I am freaking great!
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Almost no professional athletes are humble. The ones that won't shut the fuck up about being humble are the ones that piss me off. Ray Lewis dancing like an idiot, and scream talks about how he is destined for championships. He then follows that all up with scream talking about how humble he is. Anderson wants to be known as humble, but he taunts the shit out of many of his opponents. The Forrest Griffin fight, while an amazing display of absolute dominance, was more than enough show boating and toying with his opponent that he should never even say the word humble again. I don't think I even have to point out the cockiness of Bones Jones or how humble he thinks he is. At least GSP walks the humble walk, but as much as I like him, he probably isn't quite as humble as it would seem. There is just almost no way to be humble when you are great, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it is annoying for those guys to pretend like they are. I am not saying that GSP should act like a cocky ass, I would prefer for him to be a nice guy, but at the same time he has far to much to be proud of to not be insanely proud and confident in his skills and accomplishments. I think for alot of athletes, their "humbleness" has became yet another thing to be proud of. I am good at everything else so I must be humble as shit too. I mean I have to be good at being humble because I am freaking great!
    I bet you hated Prince Naseem

    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    I bet you hated Prince Naseem

    I don't like that kind of behavior, but that isn't my point. I wasn't insulting the behavior. I was saying that it isn't humble. My problem is when guys want to be known as humble, but then they do incredibly cocky things. Ali, Silva, Bones, all insanely talented, but all are as far from humble as can be.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •