Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gracie: Anderson Silva 'not a humble guy'

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Either you can't tell the difference between what was going on in the Maia fight and capoeira, or you've convinced yourself that Anderson wasn't deliberately being an asshole with all evidence pointing to the contrary.

Either way, it's laughable every time you try to rewrite history and pretend that was capoeira.

rh
    Maia Fight:
    From my observation Silva's opponents typically talk a lot of shit before the fight meanwhile Silva remains absolutely silent. We have seen this happen time in and time out. Once the fight actually happens Silva does his talking in the ring. That is how Silva defends himself and when he does there is usually a public outcry.

It's no secret that some of that was mockery with a blend of capoeria but lets not pretend that mockery was unprovoked. Have you ever seen Silva do what he did to Maia in any other fight? Did you ever stop to question what might have provoked that reaction from Silva leading up to the fight? Why didn't Silva mock Franklin, Vitor, Henderson or Okami??

Some people like to react off of what they see without asking questions. That's not how I roll. If people think its laughable then the more power to them lol.

Capoeira:
    Silva integrates Capoeira into his fighting style. Even Joe Rogan picked up on that during the Maia fight.

Some people can't tell the difference between that and what it is perceived to be disrespectful dancing. In fact I bet some have no idea that he studies Capoeria and currently holds a yellow sash.

Anyways the point I was driving home wasn't based off of one particular fight. I am actually referring to Silva's UFC career and the perception that when AS dances he is doing so to be disrespectful.

My argument is if dancing is disrspectful then does that make Capoeria a martial art based on dancing a disrespectful art form? So we are back to the same question I asked Dan... which coincidently is the same question you avoided.

PS.
    If you really want to go there I will find the fight and show you where in the time stamp that he was using Capoeria.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 07-01-2013 at 02:09 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Maia Fight:
    From my observation Silva's opponents typically talk a lot of shit before the fight meanwhile Silva remains absolutely silent. We have seen this happen time in and time out. Once the fight actually happens Silva does his talking in the ring. That is how Silva defends himself and when he does there is usually a public outcry.

It's no secret that some of that was mockery with a blend of capoeria but lets not pretend that mockery was unprovoked. Have you ever seen Silva do what he did to Maia in any other fight? Did you ever stop to question what might have provoked that reaction from Silva leading up to the fight? Why didn't Silva mock Franklin, Vitor, Henderson or Okami??

Some people like to react off of what they see without asking questions. That's not how I roll. If people think its laughable then the more power to them lol.

Capoeira:
    Silva integrates Capoeira into his fighting style. Even Joe Rogan picked up on that during the Maia fight.

Some people can't tell the difference between that and what it is perceived to be disrespectful dancing. In fact I bet some have no idea that he studies Capoeria and currently holds a yellow sash.

Anyways the point I was driving home wasn't based off of one particular fight. I am actually referring to Silva's UFC career and the perception that when AS dances he is doing so to be disrespectful.

My argument is if dancing is disrspectful then does that make Capoeria a martial art based on dancing a disrespectful art form? So we are back to the same question I asked Dan... which coincidently is the same question you avoided.

PS.
    If you really want to go there I will find the fight and show you where in the time stamp that he was using Capoeria.
    Wasn't Anderson also bad mouthing/ being disrespectful in his native tongue during the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Wasn't Anderson also bad mouthing/ being disrespectful in his native tongue during the fight?
    he was. And nowhere, ever, has there been a confirmed indication of what Maia did to "provoke" such nonsense.

That being said, I have a close friend who has taught capoeria for years. Air guitar isn't part of the curriculum.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

he was. And nowhere, ever, has there been a confirmed indication of what Maia did to "provoke" such nonsense.
    Lies lies and more lies. I have provided the same video of Maia talking his nonsense on multiple occasions. You are a smart dude and can't possibly think Silva's behavior was random in light of his past fights...

That being said, I have a close friend who has taught capoeria for years. Air guitar isn't part of the curriculum.

rh
    Like I said Silva has "integrated" aspects of capoeria into his fluid style. If he was using traditional capoeria he would be doing backflips and cresent kicks. There isn't but so much you can adapt from that art form that's actually applicable to MMA.

He has to use discipline to pull it off just like Cung Le does with his Taekwondo.
    Anderson Silva:

It can't be easy to attempt being humble when you can knock anyone on the planet out.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

My favorite part of the Maia fight was when anderson started using famous fighter styles, just like his imitation video.

My argument is if dancing is disrspectful then does that make Capoeria a martial art based on dancing a disrespectful art form?
    My only issue with his 'dancing' around is that I perceived it to be at the expense of going for the finish. There aren't many people who feel he couldn't have finished that fight.

Other than that, you're the man in the ring so do what you want just as long as you are trying to end the fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by K1NG P3NN View Post
    It can't be easy to attempt being humble when you can knock anyone on the planet out.
    and this! It's hard to be a star and remain grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Lies lies and more lies. I have provided the same video of Maia talking his nonsense on multiple occasions.

can you repost it?

Because, Anderson said "Maia disrespected (him) by signing up to fight (him)"/

Damit...

Anderson Silva:

Fact Check: Did Demian Maia Disrespect Anderson Silva?

Here’s one pre-fight interview where Maia describes the champ as “the best fighter in the world” as well as “the most complete fighter in the world.” Even when Maia says that Silva can be defeated, his reasoning seems predicated solely on the fact that, at least as far as we know, Silva is a human being. Unless Silva can produce some DNA tests that will refute that claim, he can’t really get too pissed off about that statement.

Additionally, in a story on UFC.com Maia said of Silva:

“What can I say, he’s the best fighter in the world, pound for pound. He’s good in everything that he does, and so far it’s the biggest challenge of my life.”
    Oh, the insolence of this guy.
    What seems to have irked Silva more, however, was Maia’s pre-fight remark about trying to take one of “The Spider’s” eight limbs home with him. This obviously wasn’t intended as a literal prediction by Maia, who presumably knows that Silva isn’t an actual spider any more than Keith Jardine is an actual dean at the prestigious Mean University, but rather it was a bit of word play expressly for the purposes of the pre-fight hype reel.

What’s more, as pre-fight trash talk goes it’s incredibly tame. When Dan Henderson said that Silva was not the best fighter in the world prior to their match-up at UFC 82, Silva didn’t respond by trying to humiliate him over the course of five rounds. Instead he put him away in two. When James Irvin cast doubts on Silva’s punching power, he was repaid with a quick knockout finish. So what unforgivable trash talk sin did Maia commit that could possibly justify the taunting and the mockery that we saw on Saturday?

We can probably find our answer in the inconsistency of Silva’s post-fight remarks. First, in the Octagon with Joe Rogan, he said he didn’t know what came over him. Just a few minutes later in the post-fight presser, he had figured out that what came over him was rage at Maia’s “disrespect.” Funny how quickly he put that together.

The more we see this kind of behavior from Silva, the more we have to consider that something in his mind just isn’t working right. If he can really see disrespect in Maia’s lukewarm trash talk, and if he really thinks what he did in Abu Dhabi was a suitable response, then this is not a man with his feet planted firmly on the ground. Maybe the culprit isn’t all the trash talk, but rather the praise. Maybe you can only hear about how great you are for so long before it starts to go to your head. Maybe that’s when you become an intolerable jerk who is completely disconnected from reality.
    For the Leites and Maia fights, I do think that Anderson's ego was in control when he was in the ring. Anderson had just left every legitimate challenger beaten and bloodied in his wake then came along Maia and Leites. Anderson has matured since then and I think it has had alot to do with his fatherhood and community work.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 07-03-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Thread Information