+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSP Talks Win and Possible Move to Middleweight

Default GSP Talks Win and Possible Move to Middleweight

Please move if repost.

mmaweekly.com - Georges "Rush" St. Pierre won back the Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight title in front of 21,390 spectators at the Bell Centre in Montreal on Saturday night when he defeated Matt "The Terror" Serra by TKO.

Fighting and winning in front of his hometown crowd meant a lot to the 26-year-old Canadian. "It was the most beautiful day of my life," St. Pierre told MMAWeekly. "I can't describe it."

Those live in attendance were so loud that St. Pierre couldn't hear his corner-men. Admitting that he had butterflies in his stomach before the fight, St. Pierre rose to the occasion despite the added pressure of performing in the first UFC main event in Canada. "A world title in my backyard. It's amazing," said St. Pierre.

There was no love loss between St. Pierre and Serra heading into UFC 83. Both took verbal jabs at each other in the media leading up to the rematch. Commenting on the animosity between the two and if he carried it into the octagon with him, St. Pierre said, "Going into the cage I let it go, but at some point in the fight I used it to pump me up at the end with the flurry of knees."

UFC president Dana White has stated that Jon Fitch is likely next in line for a shot at the UFC welterweight title. St. Pierre predicted victory if Fitch is his next opponent and added, "I will fight everybody the UFC puts in front of me."

Mentioned in the UFC 83 post-fight press conference by White and the media, there's a possibility of St. Pierre moving up to the middleweight division, but St. Pierre stipulated that it would have to be a "super fight" situation.

Asked if he'd consider moving up to take on UFC middleweight champion Anderson "The Spider" Silva, St. Pierre responded, "Maybe. Who knows? We'll see. We'll talk about it. Maybe. It might be interesting. We'll see."
    Doesn't sound like he is to interested in fighting Silva just yet. I agree with that for right now, I think he as a little more to prove in WW.

"I wish I knew how to quit you"

I think he should focus on making a name for himself in the WW division before he should even begin to think about MW. I'd say 5-6 title defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by jokerthief View Post
    I think he should focus on making a name for himself in the WW division before he should even begin to think about MW. I'd say 5-6 title defenses.
    I agree but I would say 3-4 title defenses as he has beat almost all the top WW fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by T View Post
    I agree but I would say 3-4 title defenses as he has beat almost all the top WW fighters.
    Hughes has 7 defenses, so GSP should try to beat that IMO. He can't have a 100% rock solid claim to be the best WW in UFC history until he does. There may only be 3-4 match ups that make sense right now but new contenders are bound to pop up over the next year or two. Plus, I think that Silva will embarrass him.

I think they should have GSP/Fitch and Silva/Next Victim on the same PPV then build up a Superfight between the two....
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

- Ronald Reagan

I think it's a good idea that he's not thinking about the mw division fully yet... he does need to make his statement at ww by defending the title before moving on. 5-6 title defenses would be pushing it considering he has beat a lot of top ww's, so I agree that 3-4 would make most sense. Hopefully Fitch, Shields and BJ are in there.

If I had my pick of champ vs champ fights I'd say GSP/BJ II, would probably be a lot more competetive. GSP standing with Silva = bad news bears

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Hopefully Fitch, Shields and BJ are in there.
    Word.

Hughes has 7 defenses, so GSP should try to beat that IMO. He can't have a 100% rock solid claim to be the best WW in UFC history until he does. There may only be 3-4 match ups that make sense right now but new contenders are bound to pop up over the next year or two.
    I understand what your saying but I think that is a matter of point of view. I think he is arguably the best WW ever, as he already beat most of the best WW.

I don't think it would be a stretch for him to beat that record.

Your right, new contenders will appear but no sense in waiting two years for that to happen. Look at Silva, if he waited 2 years before doing something else, he would be waiting a long time. Granted it is more likely that better talent will arise in the WW division as opposed to the MW.

That would be a huge PPV for them, i would def pay to see it.
    Bas Rutten can kick a man's head clean off

Your right, new contenders will appear but no sense in waiting two years for that to happen. Look at Silva, if he waited 2 years before doing something else, he would be waiting a long time. Granted it is more likely that better talent will arise in the WW division as opposed to the MW.
    I don't think he'd have to wait around necessarily. Here's one scenario: GSP decides he wants to take a break and only fights once more this year. He fights Fitch in October or November and wins. Serra beats Hughes and the UFC makes Serra and GSP coaches for TUF 9. They fight in July of 09 and GSP wins. During this time period, Penn beat Sherk and two or three other LWs. He decides to move up to WW and the UFC gives him a title shot. Penn vs GSP goes down in October with a victorious GSP. Thiago Alves keeps winning and earns a title shot. Fight happens January 2010, GSP wins. Diego Sanches goes on an unbeaten streak and beats Fitch in a remath, gets title shot -- they fight in May of 2010.

That is one reasonable scenario that takes us two years into the future. At that point there could be two or three more guys who could pop up that could occupy GSP for another year. During that year another fighter could come pop up. That gives GSP 7-9 credible defenses.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information