Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva gets rematch with UFC 162 loss; with win, superfight on table

Hybrid View

Default Anderson Silva gets rematch with UFC 162 loss; with win, superfight on table

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...fight-on-table

I'd do the rematch the next fight," UFC President Dana White on Monday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Guy hasn't lost in the UFC ever, has beat everybody. He loses that fight, he's the guy for a rematch if he wants it."

Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC), who remains undefeated after 16 appearances in the octagon, remains a 2-to-1 favorite to beat the undefeated Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC), who has one less fight on his resume than the champ does title defenses. Should "The Spider" continue to reign and defend his belt for the 11th time, White said a superfight could be next.

That would mean Silva would face light heavyweight champ Jon Jones or welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre. White said the Brazilian champ hasn't cooled on a meeting with St-Pierre, as he indicated during a conference call this past week in support of Saturday's pay-per-view event at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena.

"He's on board to fight either one of them," said the executive.

Of course, both Silva and St-Pierre aren't as hip to the idea, at least publicly. They've been linked to a fight talked about for more than four years, and still, it has yet to materialize.

In the latest round of news to dispel hopes, St-Pierre said he didn't want to move up in weight and shifted focus to Johny Hendricks, whom he'll fight in November. Silva said St-Pierre "had his chance" to make the fight happen and turned it down.

Yet White continues to insist the fight isn't off the table, adding that he's warmed to the idea of a catchweight meeting at 180 pounds, where neither fighter's title would be on the line. (St-Pierre previously has said he would not return to welterweight if he went to 185 to challenge Silva.)

In any event, Silva's motivation to take either matchup isn't just about glory, said White. At 38 years old, Silva has a new 10-fight contract that would take him well into his 40s. There's a finite amount of time he has to capitalize on his earning power, and St-Pierre and Jones promise the shortest distance to the biggest payouts of his career.

"Fights that don't matter don't make money," White said. "If he makes it to 10, which if he makes it to 10, nobody better deny that he's the f--king greatest of all time, but he wants big fights that are going to make money. He wants fights that are going to cement his legacy.

"None of them like to say in public, they care about making money, too."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

No argument from my camp if Silva were to lose in any fashion and get an immediate rematch.

If anyone were to say GSP had to have a fight or 2 so should Anderson I would suggest their nuts and to leave the forum.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

of course he would.

I mean, he's earned vanity fights, why not an immediate rematch.

more bullshit.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    No argument from my camp if Silva were to lose in any fashion and get an immediate rematch.

If anyone were to say GSP had to have a fight or 2 so should Anderson I would suggest their nuts and to leave the forum.
    This is bullshit. When you lose the next fighter in line gets a chance. I don't care whom it is or how many title defenses they have.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    This is bullshit. When you lose the next fighter in line gets a chance. I don't care whom it is or how many title defenses they have.
    I can't say I disagree with you on that but the UFC obviously holds its title to much lower standards than you would. I would agree with an immediate rematch for Silva much more than around half the title fights they've put together lately.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Wow... you've really turned a corner lately.

I am amazed. I swear that a year ago and beyond that you would have been defending Silva getting an immediate rematch no matter what the circumstances were.

Are you depressed, rd? You been feeling okay?
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    Wow... you've really turned a corner lately.

I am amazed. I swear that a year ago and beyond that you would have been defending Silva getting an immediate rematch no matter what the circumstances were.

Are you depressed, rd? You been feeling okay?
    Nope I stand behind my opinions. I don't think anyone should get an instant rematch. If I was the contender behind Weidman I would be fuckin pissed. I am somewhat depressed though.

This is the year that all the champions defending their titles will taste defeat! Gentlemen fighter evolution is upon us.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

This is the year that all the champions defending their titles will taste defeat! Gentlemen fighter evolution is upon us.
    Sorry but the apocalypse was proven wrong. Hell is not freezing over!

Well the 'champs' better step up their levels of competition this year then now that all the undeserving title shots are over... Well other than Tates.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 07-03-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information