Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Kennedy: UFC pays less than emptying trash cans

Default Tim Kennedy: UFC pays less than emptying trash cans

Tim Kennedy appeared recently on the GrappleTalk podcast, ahead of his fight with submission master Roger Gracie on the main card of UFC 162, July 6, live on PPV from Las Vegas.

Kennedy, who fights and simultaneously serves full-time in the United States Army, expressed frustration with the UFC pay structure.

"It’s pathetic that so many fighters [have to have other job]" said Kennedy. "I’m one of the 3% of guys in the whole entire sport and it would be slim pickings to survive off what I make in fighting.”

“It’s a good thing I have another job because the UFC doesn’t pay very well.”

Kennedy averred that he could make a better living working in a supermarket. When asked if that was simply the reality of the sport, he responded agressively.

"Anybody who accepts that as a reality of the sport is sad and pathetic," he said. "I hope this isn’t the reality of the sport, if it is I should probably go do something else, like empty trash cans. I’d make more money than I do now.”

Kennedy broke down his pay:
    He said his show money for UFC 162 was $55,000, but that he would only clear around $20,000 before taxes and after expenses:
    13% on gym fees
    12% for nutrition
    10% to his manager
    10% to his coach
    8% on his camp lodging
    3% for fight medicals
    3% on equipment
    TOTAL 59%

UFC 162 will be Kennedy's debut in the UFC. His last reported salary was for the undercard of Strikeforce Marquardt vs. Saffiedine, where he fought and beat the unheralded Trevor Smith. His salary at the time was $55,000/$25,000, or a total of $80,000. Smith got $8,000. It seems unlikely that a move from Strikeforce to the UFC, and from the undercard to the main card, would result in a decrease in pay. Further, the expenses cited, like $6,500 for nutrition and $7,000 for gym fees are higher than generally reported by main event fighters. When UFC 162 salaries are announced, further light may be cast on the matter, although sponsorship and discretionary bonuses will remain unknown.
    Tim Kennedy: UFC pays less than emptying trash cans - Mixed Martial Arts News
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Garbage men make a pretty good wage to be honest. Good benefits, holidays off.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

In other news, Tim Kennedy will be signing with WSOF shortly.

Seriously, you don't get to bitch about your contract; no one made you sign it.

Not smart Tim. Not smart.

Add to that amount whatever money sponsors will pay him. Also add to that the fame that goes with being on a PPV card. You can now promote yourself as "UFC fighter Tim Kennedy" and likely hold a handful of training sessions each year and rake in cash that way. Your gym may even pay you to train other fighters. Add to that the potential for a F/S/K-OTN bonus and other locker room bonuses. There are many potential revenue streams if you seek them out.

Even so, for a guy who can be ranked somewhere in the 10-20 range at middleweight. If he fights 4 times a year he'll make ~80K if he does well. Winning a few fights will let him negotiate a better deal. I don't really know what he should expect to make for his ranking. Is he expecting to make 150-200K a year solely on fighting? As I've said before, compare those numbers to fringe players in other sports. Do you really want to know what WHL/AHL or CFL or minor league baseball players make?
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Even after "expenses" and taxes he still takes home more than the average garbage man.The average salary for a garbage man/woman is about 33,000 before taxes, insurance, etc. So all Tim has to do is fight 2 times a year and he will clear more than a garbage man working year round. Fight 3-4 times a year and he is easily making more than the average working person.

While we all want more money for what we do, I think that people should be honest with themselves before complaining about not having enough when others have far less.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    Add to that amount whatever money sponsors will pay him. Also add to that the fame that goes with being on a PPV card. You can now promote yourself as "UFC fighter Tim Kennedy" and likely hold a handful of training sessions each year and rake in cash that way. Your gym may even pay you to train other fighters. Add to that the potential for a F/S/K-OTN bonus and other locker room bonuses. There are many potential revenue streams if you seek them out.

Even so, for a guy who can be ranked somewhere in the 10-20 range at middleweight. If he fights 4 times a year he'll make ~80K if he does well. Winning a few fights will let him negotiate a better deal. I don't really know what he should expect to make for his ranking. Is he expecting to make 150-200K a year solely on fighting? As I've said before, compare those numbers to fringe players in other sports. Do you really want to know what WHL/AHL or CFL or minor league baseball players make?
    This is exactly how i feel about it, rep to you sir

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    Add to that amount whatever money sponsors will pay him.
    No. You can't even come close to adding that money, it has absolutely nothing to do with the UFC. Any sponsorship he's achieved thus far would have happened before he fought for the UFC, and thus can't even be included with your twisted logic.

Even so, for a guy who can be ranked somewhere in the 10-20 range at middleweight. If he fights 4 times a year he'll make ~80K if he does well.
    4 times a year isn't a reasonable expectation. with a 6-8 week camp for each fight, you're expecting a fighter to spend 8 months of the year in camp? That may be sustainable for a year or two, when a fighter is young. At best.
    Winning a few fights will let him negotiate a better deal.
    losing a few will get him cut.

He's talking about right now.

I don't really know what he should expect to make for his ranking. Is he expecting to make 150-200K a year solely on fighting? As I've said before, compare those numbers to fringe players in other sports. Do you really want to know what WHL/AHL or CFL or minor league baseball players make?
    First, I don't know any credible rankings that don't have Tim ranked lower than 15...but lets give you credit that he's just top 20:
    I don't see that being the 20th-best MW on the planet makes someone a "fringe player." Is the top 20th short stop playing AAA ball? Is the 20th best goalie on the planet playing for the AHL?

If you're the 20th best person at your job on the planet, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect six figures for it...particularly when your working for the best, most prosperous organization in the history of your field.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 06-26-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    No. You can't even come close to adding that money, it has absolutely nothing to do with the UFC. Any sponsorship he's achieved thus far would have happened before he fought for the UFC, and thus can't even be included with your twisted logic.

4 times a year isn't a reasonable expectation. with a 6-8 week camp for each fight, you're expecting a fighter to spend 8 months of the year in camp? That may be sustainable for a year or two, when a fighter is young. At best.

losing a few will get him cut.

He's talking about right now.

First, I don't know any rankings that don't have Tim ranked lower than 15.
    Second, I don't see that being the top 15 MW on the planet makes someone a "fringe player." Is the top 15 short stop playing AAA ball? Is the 15th best goalie on the planet playing for the AHL?

If you're the 15th best person at your job on the planet, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect six figures for it...particularly when your working for the best, most prosperous organization in the history of your field.

rh
    aaaaand yet again, Riv wins with logic.
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

But fighting on a main card of a big UFC PPV will give Kennedy the chances of getting more or better sponsers then when he started out. If he goes out and has a great fight whats to say Dana wont send him a cheque for 20gs that isn't part of his show money or any fight bonus money. Dana will probably be less likely after reading this. Sucks for Tim but he could be fighting in the UFC for a lot less too.

Thread Information