Thread: Despite UFC 162 bout looming, Anderson Silva says 'I'll fight Jon Jones'

1. Default Despite UFC 162 bout looming, Anderson Silva says 'I'll fight Jon Jones'

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/2/...jones-mma-news

Coming up Saturday night, UFC Middleweight champion Anderson Silva will attempt to defend his title for the 12th time at UFC 162. However, over the last couple years one of the most talked about potential matches has been a super fight between him and Light Heavyweight champion Jones. UFC president Dana White said recently that they planned to make this fight in November in NY, but the plans fell through. He added that he still wants to make that or another super fight happen.

On Tuesday's episode of UFC Tonight, Silva said he'd be up to the challenge:

My opinion is this: I'll fight Jon Jones, all the guys from my class, all the guys that work in the UFC – all the fighters. I respect all the fighters. I respect Jon Jones. I respect Chris Weidman, but I'm here for working. I'm not scared of Jon Jones, of Chris Weidman or whoever. I'm here to fight. That's it. It's simple.
    When asked about Welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, Anderson has a simple response - "Who?"

Both Jones and St. Pierre have fights of their own scheduled. Jones will face Alexander Gustafsson in September at UFC 165. GSP will finally be fighting Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in November. So, timing could be an issue if Dana really wants to put either of these fights together.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

For once I like what Anderson has to say. Let's go! Silva vs Jones! I'm sure some will disagree and moan over this but: Delay the title fights and let the two best in the world go at it while it can happen!!!!

Anderson will beat Jones if the fight happens. Jones is great but Anderson is so fluid with everything and his ground game isn't as weak as people claim.

No one is on his level currently.

^Agreed.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Let's break this fight down a little bit. Anderson has developed into a great counter striker which has improved his TDD. Jones has a huge reach advantage, so Anderson won't be able to stand on the outside and try to counter. So he will be forced to come forward, thus exposing him to takedowns. On the ground Jones has better control and vicious Gnp, not to mention he is much larger and stronger. If Weidman is a bad matchup for Silva, Jones is the end all be all to defeat Silva.

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    If Weidman is a bad matchup for Silva, Jones is the end all be all to defeat Silva.
    This is a great line; and I agree. What Jones and Weidman do on the ground is different, but Jones' GNP is at least as dangerous as Weidman's subs.

My bet is Silva beats Weidman but beyond that who knows. The big factor to me is the mental game. How does Jones handle going against a legend? How does he handle being rocked? (Which I think will happen.) I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Jones in top form, cool, calm, and using size+cardio to stop Silva late in the fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

What makes you guys think Silva has to come forward vs Jones? He's a better pure striker than Jones as well, other than just being a better counter striker...so yeah, in my opinion the reach just won't be much of a factor with how much of a better striker Anderson is. I just don't see Jones being able to establish much dominance on the feet...I mean, is he just going to straight kick Anderson a bunch or something or threaten him with his straight punches? I think Anderson is better in both categories...
    Last edited by dbader08; 07-04-2013 at 02:31 AM.

Bullshit. Whatever happened to "I want 50% of the UFC?" This fight will never happen, and if it does, Jones will win. Anderson said so himself.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Anderson also said that Rich Franklin was his toughest opponent, that he's going to fight for 10 more years, and that Steven Seagal actually taught him something.

Thread Information