Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr.? The boxer and Dana White are talking

Hybrid View

Default Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr.? The boxer and Dana White are talking

Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr.? The boxer and Dana White are talking

LAS VEGAS – Anderson Silva hasn't been shy about saying he's interested in a fight against boxer Roy Jones Jr. And the buzz around that potential may reach a fever pitch this weekend.

UFC President Dana White on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Jones will be the UFC's guest on Saturday at UFC 162 in Las Vegas – and that the two are "talking."

White didn't elaborate on just what "talking" entails. Could that mean an MMA bout between Silva and Jones? Or, perhaps less likely, a special boxing match between the two? The specifics are up in the air. But that White admitted he's talking to the boxer is a step in the right direction.

White in 2009 said no to the possibility of the matchup happening when Jones first brought it to the table. But four years later, things may have changed.

"Roy Jones Jr. is coming to the fight," White on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com. "Roy and I are talking."

But White does admit he's unsure why Silva wants the meeting to happen.

"It makes no sense to me. It makes no sense to me," he said. "I don't know why (Silva wants it). It's like these guys, when they grew up, they had their heroes or whatever their deal is, it's something they want to do or accomplish. This is something Anderson wants to do."

About time and that is a money making fight that would rake in millions regardless if Silva wins this Saturday or not. More importantly its a super fight that both parties want badly.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Ariel asked Silva why he wanted Jones Jr and not someone more relevant in boxing today... Too funny.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Ariel asked Silva why he wanted Jones Jr and not someone more relevant in boxing today... Too funny.
    A battle amongst legends both with complementary fighting styles? Seems like a fight made in heaven for me.
    Anderson Silva:

K great, it'd be a battle of legends. It'd be a great fight if Anderson were fighting Roy Jones Jr circa 2003...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Kind of a weird scenario, if somehow Dana were to allow this to happen I don't see Silva making anywhere near the money he thought he was going to by fight Jones Jr.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    K great, it'd be a battle of legends. It'd be a great fight if Anderson were fighting Roy Jones Jr circa 2003...
    Actually I think its a great fight now. Silva looks great in his MMA fights but you have to take in mind he's boxing MMA guys not Professional Boxers. The only advantage Silva would hold in this fight would probably be his chin.

I wouldn't underestimate RJJ granted he is no Bernard Hopkins but still lethal.
    Anderson Silva:

I really don't want to see roy getting hurt again....this guy is a shot fighter ever since getting KO'd and losing his belt. It's a sad thing to watch in any sport.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

9. Default

If it's a straight boxing match Silva will lose a lot of his tools, and still be a steep climb to beat Jones Jr.

Its my opinion that professional boxers typically have much better striking defense than mma fighters. The tools that Silva uses to defeat MMA fighters as suggested by lbrewer won't be available.

Bernard Hopkins for example would make Silva look foolish and ineffective.
    Anderson Silva:

Thread Information