Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr.? The boxer and Dana White are talking

Iole: Roy Jones Jr. considering MMA fight
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ing-MMA-fight/

UFC middleweight champion has repeatedly and fervently discussed boxing Roy Jones Jr, but in a text to Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole, Jones says he is considering MMA.

Kevin Iole ‏@KevinI
    I'm stunned, but I just got a text from @RealRoyJonesJr and he said he is planning to talk to @danawhite about fighting MMA. Whoa.

Ross Miller ‏@rossjmiller
    @KevinI I'll only pay to watch @RealRoyJonesJr if he puts in bjj blue belt mat time; we've seen how this ends = ankle pick/choke

Kevin Iole ‏@KevinI
    I still can't believe Dana is buying this. Talking is one thing; doing is another entirely.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Its my opinion that professional boxers typically have much better striking defense than mma fighters.
    ...Until a leg kick is thrown.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Iole: Roy Jones Jr. considering MMA fight
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ing-MMA-fight/
    If he's seriously thinking about fighting Anderson, he probably shouldn't do it where he's at a serious and obvious disadvantage. He needs to rethink this.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

This is so damned stupid! Silva is one of the most gifted MMA fighters of all time, but in a straight boxing match he has no chance. Fans of Silva...let the nut huggery go! Not just Silva. It's rampant with MMA fighters. All the good strikers like to think they can beat high level boxers in a boxing match. Love the confidence, but sprinkle in just a pinch of reality. They will take ass whoopings from middling professional boxers. There's a reason it's called the sweet science. These are highly skilled individuals.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    This is so damned stupid! Silva is one of the most gifted MMA fighters of all time, but in a straight boxing match he has no chance. Fans of Silva...let the nut huggery go! Not just Silva. It's rampant with MMA fighters. All the good strikers like to think they can beat high level boxers in a boxing match. Love the confidence, but sprinkle in just a pinch of reality. They will take ass whoopings from middling professional boxers. There's a reason it's called the sweet science. These are highly skilled individuals.
    Let it happen. MMA fighters/fans need to see this for themselves. Besides this is one of Silva's dreams to fight RJJ just like its Weidman's dream to fight Silva.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

5. Default

Now it won't look as bad for MMA if the spider gets schooled in a boxing match.lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Now it won't look as bad for MMA if the spider gets schooled in a boxing match.lol.
    It will look as bad as when toney fought randy except the fight will last longer. Then mma and boxing fans will forget it really quickly. I think RJJ will tool Anderson in a boxing ring. Anderson has a punchers chance but as far as technique Roy kills him it's not even fair.

This boxing idea just reminds me of Jordan playing baseball in the minors just a pipe dream only difference is Jordan went our on a win and not a loss before chasing the dream.
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

7. Default

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...still-possible

LAS VEGAS – Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva's world got turned upside down on Saturday, as did Dana White's. However, the UFC president said it didn't necessarily halt plans for a potential boxing match between Silva and veteran boxer Roy Jones Jr.

Prior to Saturday's UFC 162 pay-per-view event in Las Vegas, White discussed the possibility of the 38-year-old Brazilian testing his boxing chops against 44-year-old Jones, largely at Silva's request. And just because Silva suffered a second-round TKO loss and surrendered his belt to Chris Weidman, the boxing possibility isn't necessarily on the shelf, he said.

"Oh no," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) when asked about it. "Roy is still saying, 'Let me tell you what we can do.' He was saying all kinds of s---. He still wants that fight."

Jones was cageside for Saturday's event and met with White. However, like most fans at MGM Grand Garden Arena, he got a bit of a surprise when the main event played out. Jones, like most cageside observers, figured Silva (33-5 MMA, 16-1 UFC) was just getting warmed up as he taunted and teased Weidman (10-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) toward the end of the first round.

"He said, 'He's done! He's done! He's in his head. This fight's over already. This fight's over right now this round!'" White said of Jones. "He was meaning Silva was going to beat him. Then halfway through the second round, that whole f--ing side of the arena was like, 'Holy s---.'"

Before we go on, let's remember one key fact: As far as big-money fights go, a Weidman vs. Silva rematch is about as big as it gets. It's the type of blockbuster that could headline the UFC's planned Super Bowl weekend event in Newark, N.J. – or really any major show. And even though Silva, who ultimately was floored with a second-round left hook, suggested his days chasing a title are over, White all but assured the rematch will happen.

Still, that doesn't mean White's going to pass up the opportunity to discuss a long-shot possibility with Jones, whom White said he's known for a couple decades. Sure, he has no idea how such a proposition would work logistically, and deciding who would promote it and how the revenue would be a split is likely to curb any real possibility of it ever happening. But the loss to Weidman won't be the sole reason.

"Even if Anderson came back out in that second round and knocked him out, I still don't know what the answer was," White said. "I brought him out here to talk. A crazy fight like that, like a boxing match between two guys, you've got to sit down and find out what expectations are. What are your expectations? What do you want to get out this thing? What are you thinking?"

Still, White believes that ultimately, Silva's desire to redeem himself against Weidman could delay any plans with Jones.

"Anderson plays a lot of things off publicly," White said. "The guy went on this win streak because he's an amazing competitor and is an amazing talent. He's going to want to redeem himself."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Thread Information