+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Georges St-Pierre Doesn’t Want to Fight Anderson Silva, “That’s a Fact,” Says White

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    All points you just made are easily applicable to Silva fighting Jones yet fight fans are nutting up to see this fight materialize regardless. The perception I get is that people expect Silva to fight bigger opponents but GSP gets a pass.
    1. That argument only works when the same people are calling for Silva but excusing GSP. It doesn't work if you just feel like Silva's under more pressure than GSP.

    2. There's actually some justification for expecting Silva to fight a larger guy but not GSP. a) Silva has already fought twice at LWH, GSP has never fought at MW. b) Silva, unlike GSP, says he wants to do super fights and cement his legacy.

    Long story short: Silva made his bed, accept it.

    As far as GSP goes, I'm happy to see him defend his title against #1 contenders for as long as he can. Hopefully that includes a Condit rematch in the future with Ellenberger somewhere in between.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

  2. Default

    If they wanted to make a PFP champ split the difference 177.5 or 195# leave the weight class title alone. We complain about to few title defense's as it is could you see how bad it would be if one person had two. Specially if Soares was involved with it

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    GSP would beat Anderson, no doubt in my mind.. GSP 5 round decision of domination. Silva is the P4P best but GSP has the game to beat Anderson, I bet. Stop counting GSP out, he is the best and he proves it every domination he puts on.. Stop with the GSP hate, he fights at 170lbs, Anderson won't move down so it's just as much his fault here..
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    1. That argument only works when the same people are calling for Silva but excusing GSP. It doesn't work if you just feel like Silva's under more pressure than GSP.

    2. There's actually some justification for expecting Silva to fight a larger guy but not GSP. a) Silva has already fought twice at LWH, GSP has never fought at MW. b) Silva, unlike GSP, says he wants to do super fights and cement his legacy.

    Long story short: Silva made his bed, accept it.

    As far as GSP goes, I'm happy to see him defend his title against #1 contenders for as long as he can. Hopefully that includes a Condit rematch in the future with Ellenberger somewhere in between.
    That's all well and dandy but just remember GSP refusing to fight bigger opponents doesn't do him any favors in the p4p rankings. If Silva is fighting outside of his weight class and beating top 10 fighters at lhw in my book that puts him light years ahead of GSP in any p4p rankings.

    I have no problems with GSP being the best fighter at WW.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,556

    Default

    When is GSP gonna man up and challenge Ben Henderson?!?!
    NWO 4 Lyfe!!!


  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    All points you just made are easily applicable to Silva fighting Jones yet fight fans are nutting up to see this fight materialize regardless. The perception I get is that people expect Silva to fight bigger opponents but GSP gets a pass.
    I think people are more amped about Anderson fighting Jon because Anderson has fought three times in that division whereas GSP hasn't left the welterweight division. Anderson can make the weight and perform like the legend that he is so it's easy to see why people are a little more persistent about Silva and Jones fighting.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    When is GSP gonna man up and challenge Ben Henderson?!?!
    When Ben Henderson convincingly and decisively wins a title fight.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    18,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    When Ben Henderson convincingly and decisively wins a title fight.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  9. #19

    Default

    When asked if he sensed St-Pierre doesn’t want the fight, White said, “There’s no doubt about it. That’s a fact.”
    Of course he doesn't. He's not only giving up size advantage, but Silva is strongest where Georges is weakest. Not to mention, there is millions of mislead fans who actually think when a larger fighter beats up a smaller fighter, it does wonders for their pound for pound ranking. Georges already took advantage of their ignorance when he tooled Penn in the rematch, so he knows what he'd be risking if he loses.

    To St. Pierre's credit, at least he's not actively trolling the media about the fight, like Anderson re: Jones.

    Quote Originally Posted by YukonJordan View Post
    Dana's answer to these questions should be as follows, "Georges is our 170lb champion, his duty is to defend his 170lb belt. If Georges were to decide to fight at 185 he could vacate his belt and we would find him a fight at 185lbs. Eventually he may have enough wins at 185lbs to warrant a title shot. That is all. Next question."

    When he gives these wishy washy answers all he does is undermine GSP's credibility.
    He's trying to pressure Georges into taking a fight that he's not interested in. He's about short term money, he doesn't care if he trashes fighter's legacies integrity of the sport to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    That's all well and dandy but just remember GSP refusing to fight bigger opponents doesn't do him any favors in the p4p rankings. If Silva is fighting outside of his weight class and beating top 10 fighters at lhw in my book that puts him light years ahead of GSP in any p4p rankings.
    Silva fought ONE fighter that was bigger than him in his entire career, in Bonnar. Bonnar was not even a top 20 LHW when they fought.
    Silva was/is bigger than Irvin--who was not only unranked, but was actively addicted to narcotics when he faced Anderson. Silva was an inch shorter than Forrest, but had a reach advantage, negating any size differential. As Forrest was considered a "huge" LHW that should be a graphic illustration of how much size advantage Anderson has enjoyed throughout his UFC career.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    All points you just made are easily applicable to Silva fighting Jones yet fight fans are nutting up to see this fight materialize regardless. The perception I get is that people expect Silva to fight bigger opponents but GSP gets a pass.
    Fans only do that because Silva himself talks about fighting Jon Jones and has tested himself (albeit against low ranked fighters or an easy stylistic matchup in Griffin) at LHW. Either that or he has to be talked into defending his title because the opponent doesn't have a "big enough name". GSP on the other hand constantly downplays the Silva match-up because he's focused on being the WW champion. He certainly isn't trying to publicly goad Benson Henderson into a superfight.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

    The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

    HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •