Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Silva school Weidman?

Anderson walks on water while RH wades in poop!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Weidman's wrestling is different from Chael's and does not have the power double Chael has.

Weidman is more wreckless when it comes to ground and pound, but far more powerful and diversified. Chris often lost position when getting leverage for ground strikes in his early UFC fights.

Weidman's submissions and sub D are infinitely better than Chael.
    Chris sets up his takedowns better, but he's still not as successful at powering through them as sonnen was.
    As you mentioned Chris's submission game is lightyears ahead of chael's, but you didn't credit that his overall striking is far superior to sonnen as well.

I still think Anderson wins, but Weidman is the best opponent he's faced in 5 years, without any doubt in my mind.

Anderson walks on water while RH wades in poop!
    I swam in the ocean today, so I'm betting you're correct.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Love how people say Chael was hype. After the first fight everyone was genuinely surprised what Sonnen accomplished. While he did not win, he did better against Silva than anyone has in AS's UFC tenure.

There is nothing to buy into the hype about. Weidman is a sterling prospect and will no doubt be champ one day. The only question is, will it be while Andy is in the MW division?
    I'm not say Chael is all hype, he a good fighter. I saying the UFC hyped it up. like they should to make money. I just saying I think fight fans are starting to buy into the UFC hype with wideman. I don't think he ready for silva. I to think wideman will be champ one day tho. Just not right now. I could be wrong tho. I think silva wins this late in the 2nd, unless he plays around that is.

1st Degree Black Belt American Kickboxing
    Belt: 2010 W.K.K.O U.S. Tournament Runner Up 132lbs.
    Silver Medal: 2011 W.K.A North American Tournament Runner Up 141lbs

Here's my two cents on this most anticipated Anderson Silva fight of all time (for me).

The fight starts standing. Wediman is going to take the center of the Octagon and inch ever closer to Anderson. Mind you, this is the first time in Anderson's career that he is not going to enjoy a lengthy reach advantage. That is HUGE for a guy that likes to take the first few minutes to find his timing and range. Weidman is going to be able to throw strikes from outside the pocket as well as Anderson. Weidman's strikes don't have to be as accurate as Anderson's.

Weidman puts the pressure on Anderson early and often, using a variety of fakes and strikes to set up takedowns. Weidman doesn't have the power double of Chael, but he doesn't need it either. Chael isn't nearly as adept at hiding his takedowns and thus needs to rely on his power double.

Weidman gets Silva to the ground. What happens next is anyone's guess. My guess is that Weidman earns a TKO stoppage in the first round. I don't think Anderson gets submitted unless he eats a really good shot or two and finds himself dizzy.

But lets just say that Silva defends well and makes it to round two. His best chance of victory in my eyes is to land a very powerful strike that Weidman simply doesn't see coming (like a knee to the face during a takedown attempt). Otherwise Weidman has the right tools to make rounds two through five look like the first. And he isn't going to get hail-mary submitted like Sonnen did.

Besides, why does that even matter? Even if Sonnen had won that first fight, he failed his drug test. Result would have been overturned. Sure some records would be different but Sonnen wouldn't have earned a UFC belt.
    "I don't want them to like me, because when I'm in the ring, punches fly to the face. It is not a tenderness time. I am not falling in love. And he knows that when the fight starts I kick faces."
    "I think you should be able to kick in the head, it’s a fun thing to do."

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Chris sets up his takedowns better, but he's still not as successful at powering through them as sonnen was.
    As you mentioned Chris's submission game is lightyears ahead of chael's, but you didn't credit that his overall striking is far superior to sonnen as well.

I still think Anderson wins, but Weidman is the best opponent he's faced in 5 years, without any doubt in my mind.

rh
    How is Weidman better than Vitor and Dan Hendo?
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Daniel-son style crane kick victory for Silva.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by cpac77 View Post
    Here's my two cents on this most anticipated Anderson Silva fight of all time (for me).

The fight starts standing. Wediman is going to take the center of the Octagon and inch ever closer to Anderson. Mind you, this is the first time in Anderson's career that he is not going to enjoy a lengthy reach advantage. That is HUGE for a guy that likes to take the first few minutes to find his timing and range. Weidman is going to be able to throw strikes from outside the pocket as well as Anderson. Weidman's strikes don't have to be as accurate as Anderson's.

Weidman puts the pressure on Anderson early and often, using a variety of fakes and strikes to set up takedowns. Weidman doesn't have the power double of Chael, but he doesn't need it either. Chael isn't nearly as adept at hiding his takedowns and thus needs to rely on his power double.

Weidman gets Silva to the ground. What happens next is anyone's guess. My guess is that Weidman earns a TKO stoppage in the first round. I don't think Anderson gets submitted unless he eats a really good shot or two and finds himself dizzy.

But lets just say that Silva defends well and makes it to round two. His best chance of victory in my eyes is to land a very powerful strike that Weidman simply doesn't see coming (like a knee to the face during a takedown attempt). Otherwise Weidman has the right tools to make rounds two through five look like the first. And he isn't going to get hail-mary submitted like Sonnen did.

Besides, why does that even matter? Even if Sonnen had won that first fight, he failed his drug test. Result would have been overturned. Sure some records would be different but Sonnen wouldn't have earned a UFC belt.
    So to summarize Silva is going to get his ass kicked and dominated throughout the entire fight with no show of offense. Also did Silva enjoy a lengthy reach advantage against Griffin and Bonnar?
    Last edited by roaddawg; 07-06-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    Silva spanks that ass.
    He'll be aware of the takedowns and he'll outclass Weidman EVERYWHERE.
    Weidman hasn't fought in a YEAR!!!
    And people think that he wont come in with any ring rust and that he's gonna be a huge threat to the greatest MMA fighter. WRONG.

There's only so much hype for Weidman because the common fan has no idea who the hell Chris Weidman is.
    He earned his shot. The casual drunk wearing his Affliction gear doesn't really matter. Chris is a legitimate threat and contender.

Also, I wasn't aware that Fedor was fighting.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    How is Weidman better than Vitor and Dan Hendo?
    Minor detail maybe but was slightly more then 5 years ago when Henderson fought Silva.

10. Default

Chris wins this.

I am a Anderson fan but I think Chris has what it takes to win it.

I like both guys so I just want a good fight.

Thread Information