Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Will Silva school Weidman?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I swam in the ocean today, so I'm betting you're correct.

rh

Oh yeah? Which Ocean? Cause there's like more than one and junk.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    Chris wins this.

I am a Anderson fan but I think Chris has what it takes to win it.

I like both guys so I just want a good fight.
    I have to disagree with ya here TBEAR. I think Silva Speed, Footwork, Movement and most importantly his experience win out on this one. Im not a big Wideman fan but I will say this. I think he takes the loss to Silva, learns from it, gains some experiance and becomes a champ one day. I'm just not sold on Wideman having the Skill set to beat Wideman

1st Degree Black Belt American Kickboxing
    Belt: 2010 W.K.K.O U.S. Tournament Runner Up 132lbs.
    Silver Medal: 2011 W.K.A North American Tournament Runner Up 141lbs

Here's the thing. Guys like Anderson Silva and Jon Jones are in excellent physical condition, but they are also incredibly mentally focused and tough, not to mention they have a VERY high fight IQ. they can be creative in there and get away with a lot of things other fighters can't. Now to my knowledge wiedman's most exotic finish was a standing elbow. Expertly thrown for sure, but technique wise I think Anderson's forgotten more than Weidman may ever learn. If Anderson's body and mind are in harmony, I can't see anyone outside of Jon Jones beating him. There is nothing Weidman brings that Anderson has not seen and successfully dealt with, and after tonight all that hype goes away for Weidman and people will say Anderson beat a green kid who wasn't ready for that level. It's a no win situation for him.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    How is Weidman better than Vitor and Dan Hendo?
    Henderson was more than 5 years ago, as was already pointed out. Advantages Chris has over Dan is that he's a better overall submission grappler, he's not giving up the 7 or 8 inches of length Dan did, and most importantly, he's been fighting at MW. Dan's cardio was always inconsistent at 185, and this was exacerbated by popping up to LHW and back. There were also concerns in that Dan didn't have a lot of experience in the octagon...it was just his second bout there in something like 10 years.
    Chris lacks Dan's OHR KO power and his clinchwork, obviously.

Belfort also gave up 6 or 7 inches in overall length, and also has inconsistent cardio concerns. He's clearly a far better striker than Weidman, and while he's approaching Silva [now] in terms of versatility, at the time he faced Anderson he wasn't. He's always eclipsed Silva in terms of handspeed, and their power and accuracy is/was pretty close. But that length is a huge deficit to overcome against a fighter of Anderson's calibre. Very simply, Belfort is not a great grappler.

Again, I don't believe Chris wins this fight, but think he's a superior threat to Anderson than either fighter you've mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjastix View Post
    Oh yeah? Which Ocean? Cause there's like more than one and junk.
    I'm back on the right one, not the left.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

5. Default

I haven't watched Chris as much as I would of liked coming up through the competition, but I see the need for a fast start/ never let Silva get going. As said if Silva's mind and body are in harmony almost unstoppable. I don't like how and when this fight finally got to take place, as I see it all favors Silva. As much as I dislike Soares can't say he hasn't made the odds better for Silva. Just not a fan of his tactic's

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Henderson was more than 5 years ago, as was already pointed out. Advantages Chris has over Dan is that he's a better overall submission grappler, he's not giving up the 7 or 8 inches of length Dan did, and most importantly, he's been fighting at MW. Dan's cardio was always inconsistent at 185, and this was exacerbated by popping up to LHW and back. There were also concerns in that Dan didn't have a lot of experience in the octagon...it was just his second bout there in something like 10 years.
    Chris lacks Dan's OHR KO power and his clinchwork, obviously.

Belfort also gave up 6 or 7 inches in overall length, and also has inconsistent cardio concerns. He's clearly a far better striker than Weidman, and while he's approaching Silva [now] in terms of versatility, at the time he faced Anderson he wasn't. He's always eclipsed Silva in terms of handspeed, and their power and accuracy is/was pretty close. But that length is a huge deficit to overcome against a fighter of Anderson's calibre. Very simply, Belfort is not a great grappler.

Again, I don't believe Chris wins this fight, but think he's a superior threat to Anderson than either fighter you've mentioned.

I'm back on the right one, not the left.

rh
    Fair enough but Silva has also already demonstrated he can be just as successful in terms of his striking without the reach advantage by fighting guys outside of his weight class. It should also be noted that Silva rolls and boxes with heavyweights like Big Nog so I don't see where Weidman really brings anything new to the table in terms of striking where reach matters.

Weidman's only chance at winning this fight IMHO is on the ground where reach won't be that much of a factor between these two anyways.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Fair enough but Silva has also already demonstrated he can be just as successful in terms of his striking without the reach advantage by fighting guys outside of his weight class.
    He has, against Bonnar, who is neither a great wrestler, nor a great striker. Beating Weidman will be a bigger accomplishment than any of the LHW fights he's taken.

It should also be noted that Silva rolls and boxes with heavyweights like Big Nog so I don't see where Weidman really brings anything new to the table in terms of striking where reach matters.
    Nog has exactly one inch of length advantage on Silva--yet another illustration of how size has always played a role in Silva's [and GSP's, for that matter] dominance.

Weidman's only chance at winning this fight IMHO is on the ground where reach won't be that much of a factor between these two anyways.
    I don't think Chris wins this one. I think it plays out a lot like GSP/Hughes I. Flashes of greatness from a challenger, but an aging lion is still a lion...I think Silva's experience trumps Weidman's jitters.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

First off I think Silva is going to win. Like RH said it just too soon for Weidman at the moment. We can all see the skills he has and yes one day he will be MW Champion and he be a great MW champion, but tonight is not going to be his night.

Silva is not going to school but he will pull it off when Weidman makes a mistake because thats the main issue when fighting Silva. If you make a mistake he ends the fight. It just takes one. The second fight with Sonnen looked a lot like the first, he does that stupid spinning back fist, slips and Silva ends the fight. If someone did that with GSP or Bendo, they would live to fight another round but against Silva it is game over. I think Weidman will do very well, beat up Silva a little then he will make a mistake that will either lead to a stiff right jab or knee to the chest and Silva will be all over him and finish the fight.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

I think Silva by 1st or 2nd round KO. Weidman is still unproven and coming off an injury. Even if Weidman gets Silva on the ground, Silva is really great off his back and it is only a matter of time while the fight is standing.

Anderson is really an awesome fighter, but age is an important factor and I do not see him clowning and schooling Weidman.
    I will be rooting for Anderson, but Weidman IMO has a legit chance of beating him. Anderson's weakness is wrestling, and if Weidman has good sub defense, he can win this.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information