Thread: Forbes: Silva loss would be good for UFC

Default Forbes: Silva loss would be good for UFC

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-good-for-UFC/

There is a widespread belief that a loss for Anderson Silva, the best fighter in the UFC, and the world, would be a loss for the UFC. However, Chris Smith from Forbes magazine argues that precisely the opposite is true.

Many are predicting that the Spider will lose the strap tomorrow night, and there couldnít be a better outcome for the UFC.

Silva has held the middleweight belt for nearly seven years. While legacies are great for business Ė hello, New York Yankees Ė a new champ would inject some life into a weight class thatís become a bit stale. Moreover, a Weidman win would immediately set up a rematch between the two fighters.

Rematches are incredibly popular. Silvaís rematch against Chael Sonnen last year drew a staggering one million PPV buys, and that was without the storyline of Silva as comeback contender. Should Silva take the title back in a rematch, the potential rubber match would likely be the most anticipated fight in MMA history.

The one downside of a Silva loss is that it would erase much of the excitement surrounding a potential superfight with Georges St. Pierre. However, like Pacquiao-Mayweather, the Silva-GSP superfight doesnít seem to be in the cards, regardless of what happens this weekend.

Underdog upsets are some of the most exciting moments in sports, and the first UFC loss of the all-time greatest would be headline news. But more importantly for UFC and its fans, a Silva loss would create an incredible rivalry and set up a rematch that could challenge UFC 100 for the sportís biggest pay-per-view draw. Thatís the sort of victory UFC, a quickly growing but still niche promotion, really needs, and Weidman has the best chance yet of delivering it.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Yea I want to call this author an a** hole... I do.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

^hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

That division is stale at the top.

Toward the middle it puts on some of the best fights around just like WW.

Incredible athletes find a way to make stuff uninteresting.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

5. Default

I can't argue a rematch would sale great and only super fight I see as possible is Silva R Jones Jr

I think one issue with Silva when it comes to PPVs is either he hits a home run in the sales or he strikes out looking. He is either in the million buy range (Silva v. Sonnen I and II) or he is the 300K range (Okami, Bonnar, Cote). I do not know how well this one is going to do because Weidman is no Sonnen when it comes to selling a fight but if he did pull it off the rematch would be well over 1 million buys.

But if he does win and the UFC can some how set up Silva v. Jon Jones that would easily be the biggest PPV in MMA history. So either way, Silva's next PPV has the chance to be huge.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    I think one issue with Silva when it comes to PPVs is either he hits a home run in the sales or he strikes out looking. He is either in the million buy range (Silva v. Sonnen I and II) or he is the 300K range (Okami, Bonnar, Cote). I do not know how well this one is going to do because Weidman is no Sonnen when it comes to selling a fight but if he did pull it off the rematch would be well over 1 million buys.

But if he does win and the UFC can some how set up Silva v. Jon Jones that would easily be the biggest PPV in MMA history. So either way, Silva's next PPV has the chance to be huge.
    I would expect this PPV to do pretty well in sales considering they've hyped Chris so much.

Great post. I'm really wondering how this PPV will do with the general public. Obviously, we're all hardcores here, but the thing with Silva is that he stalls so much that by the time he actually gets around to fighting I'm usually a little burned out from the pre-fight hype.

I think that Weidman's "street cred" with the general public is about the same level as Bonnar, Okami, and Cote as you mentioned. So that makes me think the PPV numbers will be mediocre. But if Weidman were to beat Anderson, that might push the rematch into the PPV stratoshpere. So in a way I somewhat agree that a Silva loss would generate more buzz for the UFC than a Silva win. But of course, a Silva win would generate tons of hype for the Jon Jones superfight, so really it's a win-win for the UFC.

Depends on the opponent.

I would not buy Tyson vs. John Ruiz if it happened.

Thread Information