Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Let Me See If I Can Express it Correctly.

Dana stated that the super fights are off. Silva was the lynch pin for Georges and Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
    You can laugh it up all you want, but the bottom line is Silva will face Weidman in an immediate rematch. He will not fight Jones in his next fight under any circumstances. No if's, and's or but's about it.
    Realistically you SHOULD be absolutely correct but given Dana's recent track record and Andersons cryptic interview last night I would not be at all surprised if the spider decided he has done all he needed to do in the MW division and wanted to move up, and if he does he will get Jones
    Believe in Chimichanga's

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    Realistically you SHOULD be absolutely correct but given Dana's recent track record and Andersons cryptic interview last night I would not be at all surprised if the spider decided he has done all he needed to do in the MW division and wanted to move up, and if he does he will get Jones
    Wrong again. You don't move up in weight to fight the number one pound for pound fighter in the world after you just got knocked out and lost the title. Again, Silva will not face Jones in his next fight under any circumstances. No if's, and's or but's about it. He will get his immediate rematch.

Anderson says all matters of goofy shit. Oh, I might retire, maybe I can make 170, maybe a fight with Jones - so what Anderson says post-fight about his career barely factors into what I think will happen with him next.

5. 07-07-2013, 07:12 PM

Wrong again. You don't move up in weight to fight the number one pound for pound fighter in the world after you just got knocked out and lost the title. Again, Silva will not face Jones in his next fight under any circumstances. No if's, and's or but's about it. He will get his immediate rematch.
    Unless your Chael Sonnen, but no matter because I agree that Anderson v Jones is off the table unless Anderson redeems himself. The super fight took a step down from a mega-money fight to only a big money fight. If Anderson were to redeem himself in a dominating fashion the super fight would immediately be put back on the table because it would once again be a mega-money fight. A rematch is Silva's best and most sensible option at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_bills View Post
    Dunno if it's been said already but Fedor running into Werdum's guard with wreckless abandon was cocky you clown. Fedor was known for sitting in BJJ black beltsguard without much of a care.
    I don't see that as "cocky" at least the way I define it. Fedor was the #1 Combat Sambo practitioner on the planet for years. He's as dangerous on the ground as anyone on the planet. I believe he beats Werdum in a grappling match at least 50% of the time. I believe he thought Fabricio was hurt and wasn't as careful jumping into his guard...but it wasn't a "I'm going to willfully disregard this guy's skills" type of decision. That's how I define cocky.

Make no mistake about it--there will be an immediate rematch.
    I think so as well. Immediate being in 6 months or so.
    It doesn't matter if Silva wants Jones or not. He lost his shot at Jones. At least for the time being.
    Not to mention a rematch with Weidman outsells any other fight Anderson could take right now. That's where SF fucked up by not cashing in on selling Werdum/Fedor II. They have the public attention right now, people are going to tune in to see Anderson get his revenge because they can't accept the loss as legitimate. Others are going to tune in to see him lose again because they hate him. And then there are people like me who feel that rematches are the backbone of combat sports. Beating a guy once proves one fighter is better on one given night. Doing it twice proves one is the better fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by POINDEXTER View Post
    Dana stated that the super fights are off. Silva was the lynch pin for Georges and Jones.
    Well, neither dana nor Anderson are particularly known for the integrity of their pronouncements.

But I don't think the superfight sells as much without Anderson as champ. Without any data at all--so I'm purely conjecturing--I think a rematch outsells Silva/GSP or Silva/Jones at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    Anderson is known for going back on his word, if not deliberately trolling the media.
    I think the financial impact hadn't set in yet, but it will.

dana is also a petty, vindictive little bitch who reacts with overactive emotions. If Anderson refuses to line zuffa's pockets with a rematch, I don't think dana shows him a bit of loyalty by giving him an unearned title shot. I think Anderson is free to move up, but I think he has to face 2 or 3 top 10 LHW's before he sniffs Jones...and there is also the potential that Jones will have lost by then.

Wrong again. You don't move up in weight to fight the number one pound for pound fighter in the world after you just got knocked out and lost the title.
    Wow. You really think Jones is the #1 p4p fighter on the planet?

I find that sad.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle View Post
    Unless your Chael Sonnen, but no matter because I agree that Anderson v Jones is off the table unless Anderson redeems himself. The super fight took a step down from a mega-money fight to only a big money fight. If Anderson were to redeem himself in a dominating fashion the super fight would immediately be put back on the table because it would once again be a mega-money fight. A rematch is Silva's best and most sensible option at this point.
    Or Frankie Edgar. Again I'm not saying that I disagree with a rematch I'm just saying if Anderson wanted a fight with Jones I bet he would get it, again just my opinion.
    Believe in Chimichanga's

The problem I see here is some of you keep trying to think like hardcore mma fans. The average casual MMA fan could careless about earned title shots. Casuals care more about "vanity" fights and if this is a fight that would make the UFC a lot of money the casuals will get the fight they want to see but that is only if Silva and Jones want this fight.

Don't try to make sense of it at the end of the day its all about the money that can be made from the UFC's target audience.... casual fans. If Vitor, Chael, Franky and Pettis can do it certainly the most dominant champion in UFC history can.

If they were to take a poll amongst casuals right now and asked them which fight do they want to see Silva engaged in next Weidman or Jon Jones you can't tell me they would say Weidman.

Its fucked up but that is the reality of the situation.

Also for the record Jon Jones/GSP is nowhere close to being on any #1 p4p lists. Both of them always fights at a physical advantage and show no signs up fighting outside of their weight classes anytime soon.

As far as P4P goes if anyone should be battling for the number 1 and 2 spot I would think it would be Franky Edgar and Silva.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 07-08-2013 at 01:55 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

10. Default

I agree that Frankie Edgar is up there in the p4p discussions (I personally thought he beat Bendo, and I could have seen the decision against Aldo going either way), but no way should Anderson be considered #1 or #2 p4p after that embarrassing KO loss last night.

I also agree that GSP used to have a pretty decent size advantage over other WW's, but now that the level of competition has improved/the sport has evolved, he is pretty much an average-sized 170 lbs fighter.

And I'm not sure if most fans want to see Silva/Jones over Silva/Weidman 2 at this point. Weidman didn't just take Silva's title and consciousness away... he also took away Silva's aura of invincibility. Before last night, I could never imagine Anderson Silva getting knocked out. But now, I could certainly see Jon Jones using those long arms and hellacious elbows to put Anderson to sleep... again.

A rematch with Weidman seems more intriguing... and competitive.
    ------------------

Thread Information