Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva Pulls Back on Declining Rematch, Wants Time to Ponder Future

1. Default Anderson Silva Pulls Back on Declining Rematch, Wants Time to Ponder Future

http://www.mmaweekly.com/anderson-si...-ponder-future

Chris Weidman pulled off one of the bigges t upsets in UFC history on Saturday night when he knocked out Anderson Silva at UFC 162 in Las Vegas.

Silva was on a 16-fight winning streak in the Octagon. He held the middleweight championship longer than any fighter in company history. He has more title fight victories on his record than Weidman has fights.

If there was ever a UFC champion that deserved an immediate rematch, it would be Anderson Silva.

UFC president Dana White stated well before the fight that if Silva were to lose, he would be guaranteed an immediate rematch. He didn’t change his tune, even after Silva got knocked out cold early in the second round.

Weidman agreed with White. After calling Silva the “Bruce Lee of mixed martial arts,” he extended the offer of an immediate rematch.

“I just have to say all respect to Anderson Silva,” said Weidman. “I’ll give him an immediate rematch if he wants to do it.”

The offer is most certainly on the table, but Silva isn’t so sure he’s ready to accept.

“No. Chris is the champion now. I finish my work,” Silva commented in the Octagon after regaining his faculties. “I no more fight for the belt. I fight for the belt for a long time. I’m tired.”

That almost sounded like Silva was considering walking away, but he’s not retiring. He recently signed a new 10-fight contract, and just needs some time to consider what he wants for the next step in his illustrious career.

White, however, was emphatic in his belief that in his heart Silva “wanted a rematch more than anything in the world,” but respected Silva’s intent to take a step back and mull things over.

“I want to take some time off and maybe three to four months, think about what I want to do. Really, right now, I can’t think about (a rematch),” Silva explained. “I just want to take some time off, go home, and think about everything and be alone.

“There’s a lot of pressure in defending this title. I defended it for a long time, so I need some time to myself.”
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

I'm sure he'll fight for the belt again. I mean his tune changed from a no to well let me think about it for a few months. That would make me believe he wants it but the sting of defeat and how he lost is overshadowing that right now.

this was hardly one of the biggest upsets in MMA history.

what was my over/under on how long it takes to want the rematch again?

rg
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

That REALLY didn't take long.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    this was hardly one of the biggest upsets in MMA history.

what was my over/under on how long it takes to want the rematch again?

rg
    It was probably the biggest upset in mma history for casual fans

The ones with short memories, YES.

GSP/Serra I was LITERALLY the biggest upset I can fathom with Sokoudjou following closely but not known to casual fans.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    The ones with short memories, YES.

GSP/Serra I was LITERALLY the biggest upset I can fathom with Sokoudjou following closely but not known to casual fans.
    Yeah I would say GSP/Serra was the biggest upset in MMA. Chris had a huge hype train going into this fight where I don't recall Serra having too much hype. I think they were going with the Rocky story on that one.

Ed Soares on Anderson Silva’s First UFC Loss
    http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videoi...-UFC-Loss-4907

And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

9. Default

One of Soares major headaches was when Silva started speaking for himself

I have no idea what he'll do.. Hopefully he fights winner of Chael/Shogun.. It would be nice to get some revenge.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Thread Information