+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva: “I would never fight a fight to lose.”

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Then to top it off after losing in such embarassing fashion he doesn't want a rematch at least?
    he's already backpedaled on that. he's taking a couple months off and will revisit the concept. Feel free to read that as determining he gets x amount of money to lose to RJJ if he's champion, or y amount of money to lose to RJJ if he regains the belt.

I'm betting Anderson's next fight is a rematch. Whether it's with Chris Weidman or not is up in the air.

He'd be smart to take enough time to let Weidman face Belfort, it would be a win/win. If Belfort wins, it's still a good fight, and one that plays into Anderson's typical reach advantage. He regains the belt and then walks away from it for superfights and RJJ. If Weidman wins, it's a HUGE bout, in that Chris gains even more credibility as the guy who dethroned a legend and then beat up a deadly juice-monster [at least, in the way the public misinterprets things] and it's more money for his PPV cut. If he manages to beat Weidman in the rematch, it's the same thing: walk away from the belt for superfights and RJJ. If he loses, he'll at least go out fighting and not getting humiliated for clowning.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    But in all seriousness, this loss really did hurt his legacy. From here on out, anytime anyone mentions how great Anderson Silva is/was, people will inevitably point out his humiliating defeat against Chris "Who?" Weidman.
    In fairness, the same shit will be pulled on any fighter people think is the greatest. Once they lose, the mma community will dismiss the legacy they built and earned. Our community is harsh that way. The end of fighters careers seem to be almost the only thing that people remember about the mma greats. They look back at the people they fought, with no context, and dismiss them.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    In fairness, the same shit will be pulled on any fighter people think is the greatest. Once they lose, the mma community will dismiss the legacy they built and earned. Our community is harsh that way. The end of fighters careers seem to be almost the only thing that people remember about the mma greats. They look back at the people they fought, with no context, and dismiss them.
    a lot of that has to do with the standard zuffa sets with it's marketing, and the bullshit dana pulled on Fedor. With a huge influx of MMA fans coming to the sport because of the UFC, guys who don't know anything better than to hang on dana's words [or joe rogaine's], they're going to emulate that kind of fickleness, even if it's not a conscious decision.

But it's still sad.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    a lot of that has to do with the standard zuffa sets with it's marketing, and the bullshit dana pulled on Fedor. With a huge influx of MMA fans coming to the sport because of the UFC, guys who don't know anything better than to hang on dana's words [or joe rogaine's], they're going to emulate that kind of fickleness, even if it's not a conscious decision.

But it's still sad.

rh
    This has nothing to do with the UFC let alone Fedor.
    Fight fans have long been fickled since the days of the roman gladiators.

The bottom line... people thrive and feed off of evil, negativity and controversy. More importantly they love to see the downfall of those who remain successful over a period of time. Call it jealousy, envy, pure hatred, low self esteem or flat out ignorance.

Like mushrooms in your yard needing rain for survival fight fans need something to feed off of and what better than the demise of greatness? We will be reading similiar comments when GSP and Jones get defeated.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 07-08-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Some people say cucumbers taste better fickled.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I dont think alot of us are fickle. The people hoping to see AS lose were happy to see it, the people that enjoy seeing him prance around with his hands down and KO guys were disappointed. The only 'fickle' thing in this situation was the change in normal results. When you fight with the style AS chose to you are going to win in impressive, untouchable-appearing fashion or your going to fuckin dropped like a bag of dirt and look like a moron. Pretty impressive that this only the first time in 17 fights the latter has happened.
    LJS-NEMS

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    The plebs like to see champions fall. Makes them feel happy about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    deadly juice-monster

I laughed. I admit it.
    "I think everybody up here is grateful to be on FOX. They'd probably say, 'FOX, thanks.' Everybody but me. I would say, 'FOX, you're welcome. You've been telling everybody for years you've got the American Idol, and now you finally do.'" Chael Sonnen

I"m surprised no-one here brought up this little fact.

This was the first fight in Anderson's career where he did NOT have the reach advantage. Every other guy he has fought took swings at his face and their arms weren't long enough to reach him. Weidman's arms were. It really is that simple fellas.
    "I don't want them to like me, because when I'm in the ring, punches fly to the face. It is not a tenderness time. I am not falling in love. And he knows that when the fight starts I kick faces."
    "I think you should be able to kick in the head, it’s a fun thing to do."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information