Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anderson Silva: “I would never fight a fight to lose.”

MMA is a game of inches more so than football.

Quote Originally Posted by cpac77 View Post
    This was the first fight in Anderson's career where he did NOT have the reach advantage. Every other guy he has fought took swings at his face and their arms weren't long enough to reach him. Weidman's arms were. It really is that simple fellas.
    Good point. And Weidman stepped into the space Silva created and committed to landing his punches. He mentioned it during the post fight interview that he decided he was just going to "go for it". It worked.

Anyone else get a bad feeling for Weidman when he taunted and let Silva take two free shots to his face?

Weidman may or may not have elite skill set of Silva's, but he committed himself to win in that fight.

What were the reach advantages between AS and Griffin/Bonnar especially with Bonnar where the fight ended in a knee strike? Also I am guessing you think very low of Jon Jones whose never beaten anyone even remotely close to his dimensions.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 07-10-2013 at 01:49 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    What were the reach advantages between AS and Griffin/Bonnar especially with Bonnar where the fight ended in a knee strike?
    Anderson actually has a reach advantage on Forrest.
    Forrest = 77"
    Anderson = 77.6"

Forrest is an inch taller, giving him 0.4 length advantage overall. Considering Forrest is often described as a "huge" LHW, that's an indicator of the ridiculous reach advantage Anderson enjoyed for the bulk of his career.

Bonnar had almost a two and a half inches of reach on Anderson, and two inches in height.

Obviously, neither Forrest nor Bonnar have KO power, or particularly good striking.

Also I am guessing you think very low of Jon Jones whose never beaten anyone even remotely close to his dimensions.
    I think Jones is a very talented, very young fighter who is still growing into his frame and actively developing his skills.

That being said, I can't help but laugh at anyone who seriously thinks Jones is p4p elite at this point in his career--let alone proclaiming him #1. If all fighters were the same size, I don't believe Jones wouldn't be a top 5 LHW. If Aldo had Jones' physical gifts--even proportionate to his weight class--he'd have run through the LW division already and would be aiming for a third belt at WW.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information