Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White Declares Jon Jones Is the New Pound for Pound King of MMA

Default Dana White Declares Jon Jones Is the New Pound for Pound King of MMA

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nd-king-of-mma

While the pound-for-pound list is completely subjective, it's still a topic that comes up often and holds weight with many fans, journalists and fighters in the industry.

So with Silva now relinquishing that spot for the first time in years, who takes over the slot as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world?

"Jon Jones," UFC president Dana White answered when asked that very question after the end of the UFC 162 post-fight press conference.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I find the title humorus. It's as if Dana came down from the mountain top with Jon's inscribed on a stone tablet proclaiming the new p4p king.

I know Dana was just answering a question he was asked
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Quote Originally Posted by beardown98 View Post
    I find the title humorus. It's as if Dana came down from the mountain top with Jon's inscribed on a stone tablet proclaiming the new p4p king.

I know Dana was just answering a question he was asked
    Looking at DW as some sort of god would be sadly inline with the horrible reporting that is BR...

Wrong, GSP without a doubt.. There is a clear cut P4P Champion now in my mind. Jones hasn't beaten the guys GSP has, and although as dominant as GSP and finishing more fights and is undefeated, GSP redeemed both his losses and has done way, way more..GSP has been on top way longer than Jones.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

5. Default

I don't know about Jones being number 1. Jones is already huge for his weight-class AND his last two defenses were against middleweights... GSP has won 11 UFC title fights, Aldo has won 7, and Jones has won 6.

He hasn't done enough, especially lately, to be considered the pound for pound king imo.
    ------------------

dimerules28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    Wrong, GSP without a doubt.. There is a clear cut P4P Champion now in my mind. Jones hasn't beaten the guys GSP has, and although as dominant as GSP and finishing more fights and is undefeated, GSP redeemed both his losses and has done way, way more..GSP has been on top way longer than Jones.
    Woah woah woah... That would mean Dana would have to be fair and logical... Not gonna happen. But more importantly, who cares what Dana thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    Wrong, GSP without a doubt.. There is a clear cut P4P Champion now in my mind. Jones hasn't beaten the guys GSP has
    You're right, Jones has beaten better competition.

You take everything into account with p4p, with losses to Serra and Hughes, and with steady but declining performances against different grades of competition, GSP has lost ground in the p4p rankings.

Jones has this by a mile, he's destroyed a who's who of MMA elite 205 and former champions. His only black eye (don't be racist) was the DQ to Hammill. Totally his fault, but he was DESTROYING Hammill.

JJ = p4p #1 atm omg lol bai!
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by ninjastix View Post
    His only black eye (don't be racist) was the DQ to Hammill.
    His only black eye is massive holes in his skillset that he overcomes with size advantages.
    You know, the skill sets that p4p should be based upon in the first place.

I don't even have Jones as top 3.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    His only black eye is massive holes in his skillset that he overcomes with size advantages.
    You know, the skill sets that p4p should be based upon in the first place.

I don't even have Jones as top 3.

rh
    So you completely ignored the parenthesis as always Rivet. I don't care if Jones is 8 foot 14 with a 6 hour range, plenty of fighters have physical advantages that go under utilized because of their lack of construction. Jones has shown great wrestling, great, meaning effective, striking ability, and he's utterly wasted guys many people considered to be too polished, too experienced, better strikers, or better grapplers.

But that's not what I'm focusing on. I'm saying if we lay out who GSP has fought and how he's fought and won vs. who Jon Jones has fought and how he's fought and won... Jon Jones takes it from GSP.

If you want to rate Aldo and his buzz-cut face ahead of Jones, sure, Aldo is a dancer, poetry in motion. If you still want to rate Anderson for his fluidity, longevity, and lethality, I get it... I do.

But Jones is p4p A-1 US-grade all-pro greatest fighter in the UFC history of the present now my spike-clad friend. He is GSP's dark place, and don't you forget it!
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

- Stephen Hawking

Jones is certainly p4p best...

...if you have no idea what p4p is.

You and dana should get lattes sometime.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information