Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dana White Declares Jon Jones Is the New Pound for Pound King of MMA

So I guy who beats up undersized middleweights is now the P4P king? Please tell that to Aldo, GSP and Bendo.

IMO Jones has dropped in the P4P rankings this year. Currently I have it -

1. GSP
    2. Aldo
    3. Bendo
    4. Johnson
    5. Jones

GSP's run since the first Kos fight makes him the P4P champ in my books.

Not only has he very rarely dropped a single round since that bout, but with the exception of Dan Hardy, he has consistently taken on top 5 caliber WW contenders and utterly dominated them without fail. Kos 2X, Hughes, Serra, Fitch, BJ, Alves, Shields, Condit and Diaz are all exceptional victories and if you pull GSP out of the WW equation altogether, there are several of those names who could be multi-defending WW champions in their own right, who happen to be fighting in the era of GSP's prime.

Some of this feels like salesmanship on Dana's part to market a long-term ZUFFA centrepiece, as I'm of the belief that GSP isn't going to be fighting much longer, or at least without a very extended break and that it is better to strap his cart to somebody in it for the long-haul, who at his age and personna, would be Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Some of this feels like salesmanship on Dana's part to market a long-term ZUFFA centrepiece, as I'm of the belief that GSP isn't going to be fighting much longer, or at least without a very extended break and that it is better to strap his cart to somebody in it for the long-haul, who at his age and personna, would be Jones.
    I'm more cynical than you, and I haven't had any respect for dana in a long time...so I think dana's petty vindictiveness plays a role here. Anderson was desperate for the vanity fight with Georges, and Georges was what put that on hold. That cost zuffa money, and I believe dana was pissed that it never happened.

Jones was also on the table for a superfight, but Anderson didn't want that one...certainly not as eagerly as he wanted the fight with a smaller fighter. So I don't think dana is nearly as pissed at Jones as he is at Georges.

Not that dana knows a goddamn thing about p4p, but even if he did; he wouldn't think twice about manipulating that if he can squeeze a dime or two out of it.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information