+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White Declares Jon Jones Is the New Pound for Pound King of MMA

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    His only black eye is massive holes in his skillset that he overcomes with size advantages.
    You know, the skill sets that p4p should be based upon in the first place.

I don't even have Jones as top 3.

rh
    Where do you have GSP?
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I actually still have Silva as #1 P4P, GSP #2, and I'm not sure after that. I don't think Aldo gets _nearly_ enough credit but I recognize that Bones has beaten some legends.

Overall, I see Bones as someone who will be a P4P great, maybe even #1, in his career but that it's too early for that. When folks compare Bones' fights to GSP's, they forget that GSP represents both this and the prior generation of MMA fighter. His accomplishments need to be held in that light. Bones has all the talent to get there, but he hasn't passed GSP IMO.

EDIT: Also, RH - Where do you have have Edgar ranked given the size debate?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

I really think Dana has something against GSP. I wonder if Jones loses if he'll still avoid calling GSP the p4p best.

Brown Pride

I always looked at p4p as the fighter who was the best in multiple weight classes, I might be wrong in looking at it that way but it is all opinion anyway. That being the case I've always had Silva #1 and honestly still do. Until Jones fights outside of 205 then I dont consider him the best p4p. I dont think GSP or Aldo can be considered either. I do however think Hendo and Edgar deserve a mention. Again I want to state that I understand not everyone looks at it this way so hold back the hate please. If Aldo fights at LW or Jones moves up to HW then my opinion would possibly change

5. Default

P4P is a equal judgment of a fighter ability that if there weight was = who's skill set would win. My self I hold Aldo higher than Jones.
    Also finishes don't really count winning the fight does. Yes I like finishes but just trying to be realistic

This is hilarious. There's a huge skill gap when u compare Silva, Gsp, aldo, and edgar to jones. Jones is cruising on size advantages with oblique kicks and elbows to the throat on smaller opponents. Lets not forget fighting two middleweights.

Jones top game and clinch are the only things I think he's good at. Running from ur opponent just throwing oblique kicks and front kicks don't mean u are the 'new anderson' either so please quit the comparisons. The guy doesn't even have ko power against smaller opponents, just wait till its time for hw. He will barely crack top 10, sure as hell never top 5. Its a different ball game when u can coast off of a 10+ inch reach advantage

What Riv and Hoss said.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    I always looked at p4p as the fighter who was the best in multiple weight classes, I might be wrong in looking at it that way but it is all opinion anyway. That being the case I've always had Silva #1 and honestly still do. Until Jones fights outside of 205 then I dont consider him the best p4p. I dont think GSP or Aldo can be considered either. I do however think Hendo and Edgar deserve a mention. Again I want to state that I understand not everyone looks at it this way so hold back the hate please. If Aldo fights at LW or Jones moves up to HW then my opinion would possibly change
    Makes sense to me and none of the champions presently will be fighting bigger opponents outside of their weight class anytime soon. Anyways it won't matter GSP is getting KTFO in a couple of months in the 1st or 2nd round and Jon Jones will likely lose to Glover or Machida.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Where do you have GSP?
    where I've had him since Fedor finally failed, at #1.
    My current top 5 p4p rankings:
    Georges
    Aldo
    Anderson--drops one place due to the loss, because I feel most of his skills are intact
    Jones--I'd have Cruz here, but he hasn't fought in well over a year and a half
    Cain--although it's an arguable ranking right now...if he beats JDS again, he eclipses Jones...if he loses, he's probably out of top 5

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    EDIT: Also, RH - Where do you have have Edgar ranked given the size debate?
    somewhere on the fringe of top 10. Edgar has at least two wins in the books that I felt were bullshit, but he's a gamer, no mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Makes sense to me and none of the champions presently will be fighting bigger opponents outside of their weight class anytime soon. Anyways it won't matter GSP is getting KTFO in a couple of months in the 1st or 2nd round and Jon Jones will likely lose to Glover or Machida.
    Aldo has fought multiple guys outside of his weightclass. When and if he faces Pettis--if he beats him--it will be a bigger accomplishment than any of the puff fights Anderson took at 205.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    where I've had him since Fedor finally failed, at #1.
    My current top 5 p4p rankings:
    Georges
    Aldo
    Anderson--drops one place due to the loss, because I feel most of his skills are intact
    Jones--I'd have Cruz here, but he hasn't fought in well over a year and a half
    Cain--although it's an arguable ranking right now...if he beats JDS again, he eclipses Jones...if he loses, he's probably out of top 5

somewhere on the fringe of top 10. Edgar has at least two wins in the books that I felt were bullshit, but he's a gamer, no mistake.

Aldo has fought multiple guys outside of his weightclass. When and if he faces Pettis--if he beats him--it will be a bigger accomplishment than any of the puff fights Anderson took at 205.

rh
    Nice p4p list.

As time passes by, I really think that Aldo should be considered #1 p4p. His overall skillset, i.e., every facet of his game in my opinion is more complete than any of the other fighters in the p4p list. He is 22-1 with his only loss being outside of his weight class and he's on a 15 fight win streak. He has destroyed many opponents and two of them were a legit contenders in the 155 division (i.e., Kenny Florian) and a legit champion (i.e, Frankie Edgar).

GSP has probably fought better competition than anyone in the p4p list, but his overall skillset isn't where Aldo's is. It is close but I really think Aldo should be considered the top p4p.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information