Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who had the greatest win streak in MMA history?

But Jones hasn't beaten any HW. As a matter of fact, he's beaten two MW's recently.

If Jones were to go on to defeat Cain, JDS, and DC or someone else near the top 5, I don't think even I could argue this one.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    Is the comparison between Aldo fighting guys who came DOWN from LW to Jones (presumably) moving UP to HW valid?

There's only a 10 pound difference between the two classes, and some of those guys would have probably been fighting in the FW division all along if it had been introduced in the UFC earlier.

It seems to me the difference in size between Aldo and Florian or Edgar doesn't equate to the size difference between Jones and comparable challenges from HW (Cain - former champion / Mir - perennial contender).

I still completely agree with your overall point.
    I don't think the size difference between LHW and HW is a huge difference, particularly when it comes to Jones. Jon has been reported to cut from high 220's to make 205. That's not walk-around weight, that's cageweight when he rehydrates after weigh in. Say he's facing Cain or JDS who doesn't cut any weight: they'd have maybe 10lbs on him [that's if Jon doesn't bulk up at all to move to HW] but he'd still be sporting more than 7 inches in reach on both. He'd have even more length advantage against Cain because of his height.

Conversely, you've got Florian, who fought in the low 160's cageweight when he was at LW. Cageside, he'd still be 10lbs +heavier than Aldo and would have 4 or 5 inches in height and another 4 or 5 in reach. Edgar is closer to Aldo's size--he'd probably be the same weight cageside, and while he gave up an inch [if I remember correctly] he still had a couple inches in reach on Jose. Not to mention, was a former champion in a higher class with p4p ranking in his own right.

Imagine for a moment: how would dana react if Cain decided to make the cut and Jones beat him 4 out of 5 rounds. Would that not be something dana would be freaking out about every time a media outlet let him near it? Then consider that Edgar had more title defenses than Cain and wasn't at the size disadvantage Cain would hypothetically be at if the fight were to take place.

Think about how dana will gush if Cormier ever bites the bullet and comes down to face Jones at LHW, and Jones wins. I guarantee that will be taken as OMG-Jon-Jones-is-totes-the-best-p4p-guy-since-Anderson-was-young. And consider that Cormier would be giving up something like 6 inches in height and 14 inches in reach. That's a combined 20 inches in overall length disadvantage. And he'll probably weigh the same as Jones cageside.

Aldo gets overlooked because Jones is more marketable. Aldo has a better skillset, in a deeper division and a better overall performance record against better opponents.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Aldo #1 P4P?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Think it's hard to argue against Fedor at this point. I think Anderson is the clear second choice. Not sure where to put Wanderlei and GSP in terms of 3 and 4.

Anderson was on the cusp of surpassing Fedor, but after that embarrassment of a loss, it really puts a huge shadow over the last 7 years of dominance. Fedor's reign came to a halt by one of the best BJJ guys we've seen at the highest level in MMA, and although Fedor made a mistake by chasing him to the ground, there's no shame in losing the way he did to Werdum.

Fedor's reign ended with a standing ovation. Anderson's reign ended with a face palm.

Jones is on his way, but it's been too short. Right now he is on a good streak. We'll see what happens from here.
    Last edited by Ramma; 07-12-2013 at 12:26 AM.

I despise jones but goddamnit he's beaten a murderous crew.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

6. Default

Riv.....please, please, please, for the love of everything I find holy, tell me you didn't in any way, shape, form, or fashion use the word totes...

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Aldo #1 P4P?
    Yeah, in my book, it's a toss up between him and Georges. I've been leaning more towards Jose recently, although I'll freely admit I've been biased since GSP punkbitched on Hendricks the first time to face the weaker fighter in Diaz.

If Pettis does drop down and Aldo beats him, I think it stops even being debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Riv.....please, please, please, for the love of everything I find holy, tell me you didn't in any way, shape, form, or fashion use the word totes...
    I only use it to convey disgust and sarcasm. That feeling you get seeing it is remarkably similar to the feeling I have towards whatever I'm arguing against.

It's kind of like the crappiest magic ever that way.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 07-12-2013 at 02:24 AM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Wow you surprised me with this post. Another thing about Aldo is that he hasn't been fighting side show freaks and picking up easy wins.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I despise jones but goddamnit he's beaten a murderous crew.
    Through no fault of his owns Jones will never be p4p without moving up to hw. The term alone is bullshit because those whom are gifted physically with size and reach are basically out of the runnings regardless of skillset.

You may as well say its a category for the small and gifted.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 07-12-2013 at 02:48 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Through no fault of his owns Jones will never be p4p without moving up to hw. The term alone is bullshit because those whom are gifted physically with size and reach are basically out of the runnings regardless of skillset.
    Georges has been a perennial top 3 despite his reach advantage.
    There is a huge difference between Georges and Jones--Georges doesn't overcome holes in his game with his size advantage. He doesn't have as many holes in his game as Jones does. Georges definitely employs his advantage, but he's a better overall fighter than Jon.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Lyoto and his first 16 fights.
    Beat Bonnar, Franklin, BJ Penn, Sokoudjou, Tito, Evans and Shogun before getting stopped in his back to back fights with Shogun.

I still got GSP number 1 for win streaks..simply due to the caliber of fighters he has faced.

Fedor and Jose and Jones are up there, bu they have had some questionable opponents in my opinion. Maybe I would put Jose in 2nd and then have Jones and Fedor tied for 3rd.

Thread Information