Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who had the greatest win streak in MMA history?

Good call on Lyoto. He also isn't getting any love. I think we also may be forgetting Thiago Silva and Glover. I might be off on Thiago.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I am probably gonna get neg'd but I have to go with Anderson Silva or GSP with Johnny Jones making his way up there in a hurry.
    I watched over a bunch of the Fedor fights over the weekend and there were just too many cans.
    Through no fault of his own Fedor fought in a different era where the overall level of skill wasn't quite there. (excluding his time in Pride)
    So his streak in pride was 14-1. (yea i know most of you hate the NC, but hey it is what it is.) So with that in mind, i gotta give it a toss up with AS, GSP, or Bones.

H
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I don't think the size difference between LHW and HW is a huge difference, particularly when it comes to Jones. Jon has been reported to cut from high 220's to make 205. That's not walk-around weight, that's cageweight when he rehydrates after weigh in. Say he's facing Cain or JDS who doesn't cut any weight: they'd have maybe 10lbs on him [that's if Jon doesn't bulk up at all to move to HW] but he'd still be sporting more than 7 inches in reach on both. He'd have even more length advantage against Cain because of his height.
    Those are the considerations I was trying to work out in my head, but wasn't really sure on the details.
    Also, to counter my own initial point, one could argue that 10 pounds when you only weigh 145 makes a bigger difference than 10 pounds when you weigh 220 or so.

Imagine for a moment: how would dana react if Cain decided to make the cut and Jones beat him 4 out of 5 rounds. Would that not be something dana would be freaking out about every time a media outlet let him near it? Then consider that Edgar had more title defenses than Cain and wasn't at the size disadvantage Cain would hypothetically be at if the fight were to take place.
    Would it even be physically possible for Cain to make that cut though? That question was basically the crux of what I was trying to get at.
    As you pointed out, weight isn't the only issue. Height and reach come into play, which again lends to the idea that your compariosn was valid.

Aldo gets overlooked because Jones is more marketable. Aldo has a better skillset, in a deeper division and a better overall performance record against better opponents.

rh
    This I never was in disagreement over.

Fedor without a doubt, Greatest P4P fighter to ever live hands down. Always has been and always will be.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

what about renan barao? I know most of his wins are against unknowns but still he's got a damn good 20 win streak.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    one could argue that 10 pounds when you only weigh 145 makes a bigger difference than 10 pounds when you weigh 220 or so.
    10lbs is more than 6% of your total mass if you're 145, it's about 6% at 225. 2% might not seem like a huge advantage...but that's why guys cut weight, for even that amount of an edge.

Would it even be physically possible for Cain to make that cut though? That question was basically the crux of what I was trying to get at.
    If he didn't want to lose musclemass, I don't think he could...but I really have no idea, Dolce is doing craxy shit. I hate it, but it's working for some guys.

As you pointed out, weight isn't the only issue. Height and reach come into play, which again lends to the idea that your compariosn was valid.
    If you ask an average fight fan, they'd tell you that if Bones dominated Cormier at LHW, it would cement his status as p4p champ. 20 inches in length advantage, at virtually the same weight.

It would be different if Bones was as skilled as Anderson, or Georges or Aldo. If he wasn't covering holes in his game with his length. He's young, he's beaten a host of outstanding opponents, he's got all the time in the world to grow into his frame and keep improving at the rate he's shown so far.

But in no way is he p4p elite at this point in his young career.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

7. Default

Has anyone's win streak ended in more embarrassing fashion than Anderson's?

On a slightly related note, has anyone seen the little punch-out video based on the Silva-Weidman fight?

------------------

Because Cruz got a gift decision against Faber and hasn't done shit since, or anything before that... End of that comment.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

FEDOR

the guy beat 5 ufc champions over the course of his career and went undefeated for 10 years. prides heavyweight division at the time of fedors reign was clearly better than the ufc´s.

People point to the hung man choi fight and zulu as fedor fighting scrubs...yea ok they were scrubish but they were tremendously bigger than him and silva fought ccans too such as irvin and bonnar in pointless non title fights. I dont think that is a solid argument in regards against fedors streak not being the GOAT.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Well using that logic everyone 10yrs from now are cans on someones list o.0

Thread Information