Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White wants Weidman vs. Silva rematch at UFC 168 NYE show

Default White wants Weidman vs. Silva rematch at UFC 168 NYE show

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-168-NYE-show/

The UFC generally holds its largest show of the year around New Years eve, which this year would be UFC 168 on Dec 28.

A major rematch, Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate at the conclusion of TUF 18 had been targeted for the show, but now the most anticipated rematch in the sport's history may be in the offing.

Lance Pugmire of the LA Times tweeted the news.

Lance Pugmire @latimespugmire
    @danawhite just told me he's so amped about @SpiderAnderson @ChrisWeidmanUFC rematch, he's thinking of moving it to Dec. 28. #UFC

Immediately after the fight Anderson Silva showed little interest in discussing a rematch, but that is not expected to last.

If the Weidman vs. Silva rematch takes place at UFC 168, the Rousey vs. Tate rematch would likely be moved to the Super Bowl weekend show on Feb 1 in New Jersey.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Dont understand why not just make the Rousey/Tate fight as co-main event? Is the UFC that confident and obsessed with Ronda getting the spotlight in main event matches only?

Ronda finishes her fights in one round. The first fight was barely competitive, and if fans are reminded how it went, would they be willing to pay for a PPV with a main event that will last only 2min? At least as a co-main event, it will add more drawing power, and fans wont be disappointed should the fight last less than 5min, knowing that an even bigger title fight is up next as the main event.

Anyways, I hope Silva is eager for the rematch. I think it will be bigger than Silva/Sonnen II.

Ref Herb Dean was unsure if Anderson Silva was faking or unconscious at UFC 162
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...or-unconscious

Dean couldn't hear what, if anything, "The Spider" was saying when he gesticulated at Weidman in the middle of exchanges.

"I didn't have any problem with it," Dean told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "If that's what he wanted to do. Everybody is in there for their own reasons, and he's in there to do something great, and he challenges himself to be able to do his antics while he's right there in the danger zone, and he was doing his thing."

Unfortunately for Silva, that led to a different result than any of the other times he stepped into the octagon and toyed with his opponents. For the first time in his octagon career, his antics caught up to him when Weidman landed a left hook that sent him crashing to the mat.

But because Silva had just moments before been feigning the type of damage he actually took at that moment, Dean wasn't quite sure whether it was all just a part of the act.

"It was almost a replay of the pantomime that he had done," he said. "I saw him go down. I respond to it whether it's pantomime or not, but to be honest, I wasn't sure. But I'm going to respond and get in close to get a better look. Once I got in there and got a better look, he was unconscious to me."

Dean might actually have helped Silva wake up by pushing off the swarming Weidman. The deposed champ grabbed one of his legs as the new champ paraded around the octagon, enjoying the biggest win of his undefeated career.

Silva had defended his title 10 times and had never been defeated in the UFC before Weidman one-upped him and took the belt.

Referee Dean has overseen hundreds of bouts in addition to his times in the cage with Silva, and was aware that he was part of history before he ever set foot in the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. But like just about everyone, he wasn't expecting to see what he saw.

"You put two well-trained guys who are trying to take each other's will away, anything can happen," Dean said. "But the way it happened, to get caught in the middle of his antics, I think that was a little bit surprising."

I'm not a fan of immediate rematches unless there is some controversy regarding the fight. For example, a fight that 60%+ of the people think the loser actually won (Machida/Shogun 1). Silva got knocked out. He might have been goofing which caused him to get caught but I still lost in a definitive fashion.

What if Silva wins in the rematch. Then we need to have another rematch because they are 1 and 1 in back to back fights. Silva should need 2 more wins before another title shot.

Silva said he doesn't want a rematch, he doesn't deserve one because of his behavior, and quite frankly he was an embarrassment to the title. Most talented fighter ever? Almost certainly, but his behavior has always been disgraceful. Immediate rematches should only be for when the judges screw up. Nobody seems to be acknowledging that Weidman won the first round.
    USA! USA! USA!

But but but....... Anderson takes 10-14 months in between fights. Soooo Weidman is just going to have to wait.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

7. Default

Everybody is in there for their own reasons, and he's in there to do something great, and he challenges himself to be able to do his antics while he's right there in the danger zone, and he was doing his thing.
    ------------------

Soares: Silva 'may have taken it too far this time'
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...far-this-time/
    It is not uncommon for Anderson Silva to put his hands down to draw his opponent into a striking match. He's done it successfully in previous bouts, however it may have cost him his UFC title as Chris Weidman capitalized and knocked out the champion at this past Saturday's UFC 162. Long time manager Ed Soares spoke on the antics, agreeing that maybe this time it was too much:

On Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, Soares conceded this wasn't the first time Silva has behaved in such a manner during his fights. This time, it caught up with him.

"I think he went out there and was taunting him and doing certain things Anderson does once in awhile," Soares said. "There's a possibility he may have taken it too far this time. And unfortunately he wasn't able to walk away with the W."

Still, though, Soares has been around the fight business a long time, both as a manager and as promoter of the Resurrection Fighting Alliance. So he knows by this point to take the good with the bad.

"You move left when you should have moved right, and your night can end," Soares said. "Unfortunately, Anderson has a tendency to walk on that tightrope of taking risks. It's part of the reason people like to watch him fight is because he takes those type of risks. Unfortunately, Saturday night, didn't go his way."

9. Default

There's a possibility he may have taken it too far this time.
    I was looking for a gif that would basically imply something along the lines of "Really?" or "No shit...". Instead I found this (it's not relevant, but holy shit look how high that fucker jumps!):

------------------

Meh, that's pretty disappointing to me.

Before the fight I wasn't opposed to Silva getting an immediate rematch, but after that performance I would rather see him win a fight or two first. That fight left me feeling ripped off as a paying fan even though the rest of the card was good and his lack of respect for Weidman as an opponent devalued Weidmans performance in his biggest moment even though did everything he could have and should have done. I don't really want to pay for another ppv that Silva is headlining unless either its stacked around him or I see that he is fighting aggressively for a fight or two first.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Thread Information