+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman II Targeted for UFC 168; Rousey vs. Tate Could Get P

Default Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman II Targeted for UFC 168; Rousey vs. Tate Could Get P

Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman II Targeted for UFC 168; Rousey vs. Tate Could Get Pushed Back

Heading into UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman on Saturday, UFC president Dana White said if Anderson Silva lost to Chris Weidman that there would be an immediate rematch. He said it would be a “no brainer.”

Weidman ended Silva’s record streak of 10 successful UFC middleweight title defenses with two left hands and follow-up punches on the ground early in the second round.

On Monday, White told Los Angeles Times reporter Lance Pugmire that he’s excited for the rematch and is considering making it the UFC 168 headliner on Dec. 28 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is scheduled to rematch Miesha Tate on the UFC 168 fight card, but White said he’s considering moving that fight to Super Bowl weekend and replacing it with Silva vs. Weidman II. White believes the rematch between Weidman and Silva would be the biggest fight in UFC history.

Weidman offered Silva a rematch during his post-fight interview with commentator Joe Rogan.

“I just have to say all respect to Anderson Silva,” said Weidman. “I’ll give him an immediate rematch if he wants to do it.”

A rematch hinges on whether or not Silva wants it, something he said he did not immediately following his first UFC defeat.

“Chris is the champion now,” said Silva. “I finish my work. I no more fight for the belt. I fight for the belt for a long time. I’m tired.”

During the post-fight press conference, Silva pulled back on his comments, leaving the door cracked for a possible rematch.

“I want to take some time off and maybe three to four months, think about what I want to do. Really, right now, I can’t think about (a rematch),” Silva explained. “I just want to take some time off, go home, and think about everything and be alone.

“There’s a lot of pressure in defending this title. I defended it for a long time, so I need some time to myself.”

UFC's Dana White could put Chris Weidman-Anderson Silva II on Dec. 28

White told The Times in a telephone interview Monday morning that he is strongly considering making Weidman-Silva II the main event of his pre-New Year’s Eve card on Dec. 28.

“After I chilled a bit and thinking how big this fight was going to be, how this guy knocked out Anderson Silva, I’m thinking why have a card that conflicts with the Super Bowl on [broadcast partner] Fox?” White said. “We want our own date for this massive fight with no conflicts.

“So I’m very tempted to take it to Dec. 28.”

That would shift the scheduled Dec. 28 fight between UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate to Super Bowl weekend, White said.
    An industry official familiar with the situation but unauthorized to discuss it publicly said Silva-Weidman generated somewhere between 625,000 and 650,000 pay-per-view buys, with Silva earning a guaranteed $600,000 plus bonuses expected to take him to $5 million.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 07-09-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Bring on the 3rd rematch. I want to see Weidman go 3-0.

I've heard, if this gets booked, there's more likelihood for it being placed on the Superbowl card, given the sports hype around that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I've heard, if this gets booked, there's more likelihood for it being placed on the Superbowl card, given the sports hype around that weekend.
    Read Dana's thoughts on the matter in the second article. Probably those are Fox's as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information