Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC 162: Chris Leben Gets TUE for Opiod Suboxone

Default UFC 162: Chris Leben Gets TUE for Opiod Suboxone

UFC 162: Chris Leben Gets TUE for Opiod Suboxone

The Nevada State Athletic Commission granted UFC Middleweight Chris Leben a therapeutic use exemption for a prescription opioid medication for his UFC 162 bout with Andrew Craig.

Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer confirmed today that the NSAC granted a therapeutic use exemption for Suboxone to Chris Leben for his UFC 162 bout against Andrew Craig. The UFC Middleweight has previously served a year's suspension after testing positive for oxycodone and oxymorphone following UFC 138.

Leben is the first fighter to receive a TUE for a painkiller substitute from the NSAC. Leben also served a suspension in 2008 for the anabolic steroid stanozolol in October 2008. Suboxone is a replacement therapy for people struggling with narcotics addiction. MMA Junkie was the first to report the news.

Leben lost his UFC 162 bout to Andrew Craig by split decision. No other fighters on the card received TUE's.
    The following diatribe is a criticism of the NSAC, not Leben for taking Suboxone to stay sober: It's flipping crazy that you can get a TUE for Testosterone or Opiods but not medical marijuana, and even if you have a state-issued medical marijuana card.

PS: Is it a low blow by SB Nation to use such a shitty picture of Leben? You're supposed to encourage and support sobriety, assholes.
    Last edited by trustkill; 07-09-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    PS: Is it a low blow by SB Nation to use such a shitty picture of Leben? You're supposed to encourage and support sobriety, assholes.
    Am going to write a scathing letter to the editor later tonight.

the fact that we give someone a drug that can and will make them just as high as his pills did does not fix his problem its only shiffted it
    really i don't think they should let him fight with this drug in his system it does numb pain (not that chris feel pain like most of us )
    he and i have fucked over our body to the point it's no loner producing natural opiates (endorphins)
    these pills are just as easy to abuse.
    with these pill he can still be on opiates he only needs to not take them together and must have at least 36 hours off the opiates so he don't force his body in to a very deep and bad withdraw

Sad to hear but glad to hear he is still clean from illegal or banned substances.

Might be time for Leben to take a long, hard look at his career and future health.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Sad to hear but glad to hear he is still clean from illegal or banned substances.

Might be time for Leben to take a long, hard look at his career and future health.
    ^^This.

Ideally he would be able to compete without any help from pharmaceuticals but if the doctors and the commission are ok with it than I don't see a problem with it. I would however like him to get to a point with his health where he doesn't need meds.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

The following diatribe is a criticism of the NSAC, not Leben for taking Suboxone to stay sober: It's flipping crazy that you can get a TUE for Testosterone or Opiods but not medical marijuana, and even if you have a state-issued medical marijuana card.

Nothing stopping fighters from getting a TUE for medical marijuana use all they need to do is fill out the appropriate paperwork in the state they are fighting and have proof of a need for it. Only thing that got a guy like Diaz suspended for it was his own incompetence as well his manager.

7. Default

UFC 162: Chris Leben Gets TUE for Opiod Suboxone

Umm you can get a TUE for weed.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I emailed Nate Wilcox, hopefully he changes the picture. Whether he believes it or not, his articles effect how others percieve these fighters. For him to post a picture of Leben that looks like he is stoned and out of it is rather disgusting to me.

Sure Leben has done things that most people wouldn't do, but he has personal struggles against himself which we can all relate to. Leben is an imperfect person as are we all. To mock someone who is trying to better themselves is pathetic. To say, "we have heard this all before" is also pathetic. It is easy to be the critic on someone's life but is even harder to understand someone. People don't put that effort forth very often.

I know I struggle with being more thoughtful in my words to others, but everyday I hope that I get better in how I interact with you guys. Sometimes some personal anger from my life seeps in my posts, and I regret it, which is why I often edit my posts. I'd like to be a better poster like Miz, who is always very thoughtful in how he deals with other people.

tl;dr words effect others more than one might think in the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Umm you can get a TUE for weed.
    If it's for a reason other than enjoying getting high.

as someone who takes pain pills recreationally, this surprises me. while i am an avid user/abuser, i do not agree/support these type of exemptions any more than ones for testosterone.

Thread Information