Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Sunday Morning Rumor Mill

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    He was kissing the reporter just like Weidman... Anyone else wonder if he's having personal issues? He's behavior is just odd.
    The rest of the world isn't so scared of being viewed as a homosexual. For example, in Iran or India, it's normal for guy friends to walk holding hands. Europe, it's normal for guys to kiss each other on the face (check,lips, w/e).

Homophobia is part of the North American culture ingrained in you from childhood.

As Terence McKenna once said, "Culture is your operating system."

I don't think I've seen anyone mention it yet but I think he got caught because of the combo Weidman threw. Normall if you're going to chase someone down you're throwing left, right, left, right... But because Weidman threw that little flick backhand it ended up being left, right, right, left and it caught him. You can clearly see Anderson trying to roll off a right hand that he was expecting.

Heard that ZUFFA is starting to become a tad concerned about how Rousey will come across on TUF.

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    It's been mentioned numerous times in other threads. That Jack Slack is pretty damn good at what he does, eh?
    Now I'd love to know if Weidman actually trained that combo or if he got lucky. Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

5. Default

I got the same impression from Dana's interview about it. I've always thought that Rousey was kind of unintelligent and ... a bit off? I'm actually interested in seeing this season of TUF, because it sounds like both women act like they are bat-shit crazy.

Now I'd love to know if Weidman actually trained that combo or if he got lucky. Not that it matters, I'm just curious.
    I want to say it was a bit of both. I'm sure he studied a lot of tape on Silva's defense. I mean, he was smart enough not to rush in or swing wildly whenever Silva dropped his hands begged to be hit, because he was aware of the counter-punch traps. I think he knew that little backhand would throw Silva off, but I don't think that even Weidman expected Silva to drop like he did when that left landed, lol.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    The rest of the world isn't so scared of being viewed as a homosexual. For example, in Iran or India, it's normal for guy friends to walk holding hands. Europe, it's normal for guys to kiss each other on the face (check,lips, w/e).

Homophobia is part of the North American culture ingrained in you from childhood.

You're missing my point.

I'm not saying that kissing someone of the same sex is "wrong," "weird," or whatever. It's not a cultural argument, it's a person argument: Anderson didn't randomly kiss people publicly in the past. Now he's doing it frequently, including in contexts that don't have to do with getting in your opponent's head.

I was asking about Anderson's very clear change in behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post

Really in Iran it is normal for 2 guys to walk holding hands in public?? I actually doubt that very very much.

And "Homophobia" is far from being exclusive from North America, in all the world people make fun of gays. And for example in Russia they really hate them.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    You're missing my point.

I'm not saying that kissing someone of the same sex is "wrong," "weird," or whatever. It's not a cultural argument, it's a person argument: Anderson didn't randomly kiss people publicly in the past. Now he's doing it frequently, including in contexts that don't have to do with getting in your opponent's head.

I was asking about Anderson's very clear change in behavior.
    It wasn't a kiss. Did you see any puckering?

It was a showing of both disrespect and intimidation. Of course these were mind games.

If you are alluding to mental problems, that's very silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Really in Iran it is normal for 2 guys to walk holding hands in public?? I actually doubt that very very much.
    What do you know about Iran or the Middle East?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/01/we...sics.html?_r=0

It's not just Iran but also the entirety of the Middle East region.

Americans may raise an eyebrow at men holding hands, but in the Arab world, affection among men is common, and without sexual connotation.

"Holding hands is the warmest expression of affection between men," said Samir Khalaf, a sociology professor at American University of Beirut in Lebanon. "It's a sign of solidarity and kinship."

In fact, if a man chooses not to touch another in a greeting, it can be interpreted as a sign of distance or disdain. Kissing cheeks, long handshakes and clutching hands are meant to reflect amity, devotion and most important, equality in status, noted Fuad Ishak Khuri, a social anthropologist, in his book, "The Body in Islamic Culture" (2001).

Sure you can tell me that Russia is homophobic as well as Slavic areas, but I was not speaking on specific terms. I was stating the differences in culture. Not every man is unsure of their sexuality and scared of being labelled. My point was that in some cultures it is the norm for men to have physical contact. My point is that it is your culture that makes you afraid of being labelled as something.

In the case of Anderson, it was disrespect as stated in the above post.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 07-11-2013 at 04:42 AM.

Thread Information