Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weidman discusses winning UFC title, Anderson Silva's mental warfare, and rematch

Hybrid View

Default Weidman discusses winning UFC title, Anderson Silva's mental warfare, and rematch

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/7/8/...-silvas-mental

"Iím not here to change other peopleís opinion but Iíll tell you one thing: he did not give me the belt, he did not throw the fight," Weidman said. "It was nothing like that. He was doing exactly what he does in all his fights. He had his hands down, he was trying to mentally defeat me, make me freeze, make me feel like I didnít deserve to be in the ring with him. I didn't want to let him do that. I wanted to put him in his place, and that's it."

Ironically, Weidman indirectly acknowledged that Silva's tactics did affect him, saying he did feel disrespected as the fight went on and the former champion persisted, and even though he knew there was a very specific reason Silva was doing it.

A close observation of the moments after the fight also confirmed it, with Weidman saying Silva was a "disrespectful piece of s---" seconds after he scored the knockout. The new champion confirmed he was fired up in the heat of the moment, at one point mockingly asking Silva if he wanted help up from the mat, but said he calmed down soon after and that he still holds a huge amount of respect for the Brazilian legend.

"That was the first time I ever got emotional in a fight," he said. "I wanted this fight so bad. I knew I had the tools to do it, it was just a matter of going out and doing it. Not letting him fight his fight, just fighting my fight which is don't care what he's doing. Just keep moving, I'm going to punch him in face, and look for takedowns. I did everything I said I was going to do."

Weidman said he felt he was winning the whole way, from his early takedown and ground work -- he said he saw Silva's "eyes roll back" on one ground strike -- to his standup.

Later, when they returned to their feet and Silva started goading and talking to him, the Brazilian told him, "Don't wrestle, they want to see a standup fight."

"I felt in control," Weidman said. "He was doing all that stuff, but in my mind, I'm just laughing. Iím like, 'Bro, Iím winning the fight. Iím punching you right now and you're standing there with your hands on your hips. You can do that all day if you want.' It got to the point where I figured, Iím going to get in this guy's face, and put my hands on him, and that's what I did."

It happened in the second, as Weidman continued to move forward with combinations. It was the fourth punch of a series -- a left hook -- that sent Silva crashing back and towards the end of his lengthy reign.

Even to Weidman, that split-second was surreal.

"When I was punching him once he fell to the ground, I was like, 'Holy crap, this is happening. Oh my God,'" he said.

While Silva has said he isn't interested in a rematch, Weidman believes that was just an emotional reaction to an unexpected moment, and that the fight will happen. In fact, he wants it, and the Feb. 2014 timeline is right in line with his thinking, since he said he has a few health issues he'd like to address first.

Weidman said that even in victory, he does not feel like he put on his best performance, citing a "sluggish" feeling possibly due to his one year off, as well as some mistakes in his submission game that he felt could have ended the fight even earlier. But he also has no regrets. He went for victory at every turn and never let the great Silva break him.

And if they do build a sequel, the new champion says his thoughts about Silva next time around will not change a bit.

"I think heís still unbelievable, I think he's still the greatest of all time, and I think Iíd still beat him again," he said.

2. Default

Nice honest article by Chris didn't try to cover up his negative actions.

3. Default

This is kind of one of the big beefs I have with sticking microphones in front of these guys seconds after they finish a fight, especially a fight they lost. You wind up with emotional answers that get quoted more then scripture. If you want an honest answer to "does Anderson want a rematch?", wait a month, and ask then.

As to the "disrespectful P.O.S." reference, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... Lets not pretend for a second that Anderson wasnt being disrespectful.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    This is kind of one of the big beefs I have with sticking microphones in front of these guys seconds after they finish a fight, especially a fight they lost. You wind up with emotional answers that get quoted more then scripture. If you want an honest answer to "does Anderson want a rematch?", wait a month, and ask then.

As to the "disrespectful P.O.S." reference, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... Lets not pretend for a second that Anderson wasnt being disrespectful.
    I agree with you, you cant take what a guy says post fight in the ring. Emotions are running way to high. Some guys are good at it, some guys are not.

He is a duck alright.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

Man, I'm liking this guy more and more. He's got a great attitude and I think he's going to be a great champion.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Man, I'm liking this guy more and more. He's got a great attitude and I think he's going to be a great champion.
    I'm glad you like him but don't get used to him holding that belt
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    I believe you and I may need to have a sig bet on the rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I believe you and I may need to have a sig bet on the rematch.
    I'll take a sig bet on that rematch. I don't see Silva doing any shenanigans in the rematch. Round one will start and he will rush in for the kill trying to instantly finish the fight. I see Silva getting a KO in the 1st; probably within the first half of the round.

Thread Information