Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weidman discusses winning UFC title, Anderson Silva's mental warfare, and rematch

God I'm so tired of seeing people say Anderson is disrespectful. It's a f/n sport in which you try to knock another guy out and you are worried about taunting? Taunting is part of the god damn sport if you are good enough to do it.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    God I'm so tired of seeing people say Anderson is disrespectful. It's a f/n sport in which you try to knock another guy out and you are worried about taunting? Taunting is part of the god damn sport if you are good enough to do it.
    Anderson is a fucking clown, never liked it and glad he lost! I was a huge Anderson nuthugger until after the Cote fight, been waiting for this moment and will rewatch it for a loooong time.

Weidman: Silva 'realized he couldn't hurt me'
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...uldnt-hurt-me/

“He had felt my power and knew I was way more powerful than him, and he realized he couldn’t hurt me with anything he was going to do,” Weidman said Tuesday.

“I was in there right away trying to finish him, I don’t think he’s used to that."

“I didn’t really care where the fight went. I went for a kneebar and knew there was a risk of the guy getting back to his feet if I couldn’t finish. I either wanted to submit him on the floor or knock him out.”

“I threw my forehead on his fists a few times, to let him know I wasn’t scared – ‘Give me your best shot, I’ll eat it."

“He was trying to get me to freeze up, make me feel like I didn’t belong in the cage with him.”

Finally, Weidman ended the antics, concluding, “I’m coming after you now.”

Weidman said he enjoyed a lunch with White Monday that is due to be followed by a substantial financial bonus -- “Let’s just say I’m happy to be part of the UFC,” Weidman said.

Weidman said he is likely to undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right knee soon to clear out some “bone chips or scar tissue ... that’ll only lay me up two weeks, then I’ll get back to training.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Anderson is the Sidney Dean of the UFC. Plain and simple
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

You can't be serious????

So, because you are competing in a sport where you attempt to knock each other out you can't be respectful of your opponent?

It's not part of the sport. If people want to embrace it as "just part of the sport," then it diminishes the entire institution of martial arts.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I used to defend Dana long ago, but he is such a tool, he is impossible to defend now. He has gone on tirades before about how fighters like Calib Starnes, the Diaz brothers, and other various fighters were disrespectful in the ring. But now when Anderson goes and does it and gets caught, its not disrespecting at all. We all know Dana is just trying to cover their asses with the humiliating way Silva got taken out and Dana will do ANYTHING to try and upsell Silva as the best fighter of all time over Fedor.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I believe you and I may need to have a sig bet on the rematch.
    I'll take a sig bet on that rematch. I don't see Silva doing any shenanigans in the rematch. Round one will start and he will rush in for the kill trying to instantly finish the fight. I see Silva getting a KO in the 1st; probably within the first half of the round.

New UFC champ Chris Weidman talks wild welcome home, strange knocks on the door
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...ks-on-the-door

"The welcoming home I got was pretty crazy," Weidman told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "My whole house was wrapped up with congratulations stuff. All my neighbors were up at 2 in the morning waiting for me to get home. They didn't even know when I was getting home. There were just hundreds of people that stayed up and were outside, waiting. They were just waiting on their grass at 2 in the morning with signs everywhere and fireworks. That was pretty crazy."

Things got even crazier the next day, when "The All American" received an unexpected knock on his front door.

"Everyone knows where I live now," Weidman said. "Today a kid came to the door, and he was asking me for autographs and T-shirts. That was pretty crazy too."

Such is life these days for Weidman (10-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC), who at this past weekend's UFC 162 event in Las Vegas went from curiously confident contender to budding superstar with a second-round knockout of MMA legend Anderson Silva (33-5 MMA, 16-1UFC). In the days since the July 6 pay-per-view event, he's done countless interviews talking about the historic moment when "The Spider" lost in the octagon for the very first time.

"It's been a little bit of a blur, but it's been good," Weidman said. "It's been a bit surreal. It still hasn't sunk in all the way, but it feels good."

Just how good isn't quite certain, at least from a financial standpoint. His disclosed pay of just $48,000 for the win has earned some criticism, making the payday seem a little meager in comparison to the accomplishment, even with a $50,000 "Knockout of the Night" bonus added to the total.

Of course, discretionary bonuses and pay-per-view shares can greatly impact fighters' total compensation package. UFC President Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta have also been known to offer up a gift or two following especially memorable accomplishments, and Weidman may have very well benefitted from such an arrangement.

If he did, he's keeping it to himself.

"Uh, let's just say I'm very happy to be part of the UFC," Weidman says with a chuckle. "I'll just leave it at that."

Instead, Weidman will do his best to enjoy the championship win, even as the blur of interviews and appearances continues. When it slows, the New Yorker needs to have some bothersome bone chips removed from his knee, but the scope is only expected to keep him out of the gym for a week or so, and then it's on the the challenge.

"I really have to thank all the supporters and anyone who believed in me," Weidman said. "I wish I could just enjoy it and sit back, but I guess my personality and work ethic and the passion I have about what I do, I'm already thinking about the rematch and preparing myself mentally to beat him again and to even look better."
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 07-11-2013 at 02:23 AM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Interesting. I guess the takeaway is that Anderson isn't good enough to do it, or he wouldn't have gotten his disrespectful ass knocked out, huh?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    If people want to embrace it as "just part of the sport," then it diminishes the entire institution of martial arts.
    Ali and RJJ did not diminish boxing, in my opinion. His fights were exciting. Would have been boring if he knocked out some of his lesser opponents immediately.

The institution of martial arts has been irreversibly altered by MMA at this point -- that tradition is long gone. Not every fighter should have to assimilate to be what is deemed perfect. That starry-eyed view is dead. Most people want to see fighters not simply respectful martial artists. Each fighter is a different character. It would be boring as hell if all were like GSP. At some point, modesty becomes fakery.

Thread Information