+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones on Anderson Silva: 'He got disrespectful, war gods made him pay'

Default Jon Jones on Anderson Silva: 'He got disrespectful, war gods made him pay'

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...s-made-him-pay

"I think he's got to the point where he really believes in his gift, and he abused his gift," said Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) in Toronto, where he next will fight Sept. 21 at Air Canada Centre. "He disrespected the gift by disrespecting his opponent."

The 25-year-old champ has a reason to be upset with Silva, who was knocked out by Chris Weidman in mid-showboat at this past Saturday's UFC 162 in Las Vegas. The No. 1 and No. 2 pound-for-pound greats were expected to meet in a blockbuster pay-per-view if successful in their upcoming fights. They stood to reap millions from revenue sharing with the UFC.

Immediately after Silva's KO, Jones tweeted two words: "This sucks."

Today, the young champ expanded on his feelings about the lost opportunity, and while he said he still considers Silva one of the greats, he said the former champ's approach to Weidman got him in trouble.

"Martial arts is traditionally a sport that is based on honor and integrity and treating people with respect, and he somehow lost sight of that and he paid the ultimate price for it," Jones said. "So I'm not going for the Anderson Silva hype train. I know exactly where he's at; you can tell exactly where he's at by the way he's fighting.

"I think he just got disrespectful, and the war gods just made him pay for it. He's still that great Anderson Silva in my book."

Now, Jones must beat back another young contender looking to shock the world by taking his belt. Despite winning his past six inside the octagon, Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) is a 4-to-1 underdog in the fight. But the champ said Weidman's performance is a reminder that nothing is safe when the stakes are high.

"It actually motivates me a lot, too, to watch somebody who I look up to lose," he said. "It's just a reality check. I try to keep my ego in check when it comes to the fight game, and watching Anderson lose like that – first of all, it's something I would never do, put my hands down and fight my opponent that way. But watching Chris Weidman's dream come true, I have to make sure to be a dream crusher."

A grisly toe injury Jones suffered while defending his title against Chael Sonnen this past April is on the mend, and he's now training boxing in shoes that protect his healing foot. He said the focus would come in handy for Gustafsson, who's a slick boxer.

Although Silva has dropped from the No. 1 spot on several pound-for-pound lists, Jones said he won't believe he's taken the former champ's spot until he beats Gustafsson in September.

"At this point, it doesn't really feel real," he said. "My goal is definitely to become No. 1, and because Anderson lost doesn't really make me feel like I accomplished anything. So I'm going to continue to work extremely hard to become the No. 1 light heavyweight in the sport, and eventually, I'll creep up on some of the things Anderson Silva has done in history.

"So, it doesn't really do too much for me. It doesn't feel real, it doesn't feel earned, and winning this fight will make me feel a little bit better about it."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Nobody else thought it was odd that the guy who is enough of a bible freak to actually get a verse tattooed on his chest is popping off about war gods?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Nobody else thought it was odd that the guy who is enough of a bible freak to actually get a verse tattooed on his chest is popping off about war gods?

rh
    i thought the very same thing upon reading the article. and it was the kick in the ass i needed to finally sign up for the forums. in short, i am your fault.

Bones tends to contradict himself alot (it's probably because he is a super genius).
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

Relax fellas, its just a term. Doesn't matter if he is Christian or not, its a term that is used very loosely. Every year when I lose in fantasy football, I blame the Fantasy Football gods for screwing me over.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

rh
    No... I am just as religious and I enjoy shooting zombies in the head and watching Spartacus. Does that mean I'm going to hell? Will Ben Henderson also go to hell for tattooing his body? Will Fedor get sent to purgatory for participating in a violent sport? Isn't it wrong to pray to GOD to help you knock someone the fuq out?

Does fighting and religion even go together?
    Last edited by roaddawg; 07-10-2013 at 01:47 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shia%E...unni_relations

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    No... I am just as religious and I enjoy shooting zombies in the head and watching Spartacus. Does that mean I'm going to hell? Will Ben Henderson also go to hell for tattooing his body? Will Fedor get sent to purgatory for participating in a violent sport? Isn't it wrong to pray to GOD to help you knock someone the fuq out?

I see the master of misinterpretation has returned. Did they refill your scrip again?

I never made a judgement about his eternal soul or even any commentary on morality.

I find it odd that someone who is devout enough to have a verse tattooed on his body making an active, unsolicited statement that seems to promote pagan ideology.

Personally, I have no problem with pagan ideology or Christianity, but as Donosaur pointed out, it's a bit of a contradiction to espouse both beliefs. Thus, I find it odd. Just odd. Not bad, not anything that I believe he'll suffer eternally over. I just find it odd.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

I see the master of misinterpretation has returned. Did they refill your scrip again?

I never made a judgement about his eternal soul or even any commentary on morality.

I find it odd that someone who is devout enough to have a verse tattooed on his body making an active, unsolicited statement that seems to promote pagan ideology.

Personally, I have no problem with pagan ideology or Christianity, but as Donosaur pointed out, it's a bit of a contradiction to espouse both beliefs. Thus, I find it odd. Just odd. Not bad, not anything that I believe he'll suffer eternally over. I just find it odd.

rh
    I don't even like Jones but I think he was simply trying to add some humor to his interview. I wouldn't read much into it.

Really? I'm a hater?

rh
    Hellz yea. You would like nothing more to be trapped in a closet with Ed Soares.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 07-10-2013 at 03:00 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information