Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson staredown pic - UFC 165 press conference pic & vid

Default Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson staredown pic - UFC 165 press conference pic & vid

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/9/450...ce-toronto-mma

"Bones" has agreed to put his gold up for grabs at the upcoming UFC 165: "Jones vs. Gustafsson" pay-per-view (PPV) event, scheduled for the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on Sept. 21, 2013.

Earlier today, he joined "The Mauler" at Toronto's Real Sports Bar and Grill for a special pre-fight press conference, designed to get the mixed martial arts (MMA) community amped for their headlining affair.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/9/450...gustafsson-mma

12:11 p.m. - We're just getting started.

Gustafsson: I feel great. I'm pumped for this fight.

Jon Jones: I'm very excited to be back here. I'm a little tired this morning. You guys have always treated me well and I'm just excited to do what I do when I come here.

Jon Jones: My initial reaction to seeing Silva vs Weidman was "This sucks" because it's hard to see a great champion go down like that.

Jon Jones: It means a lot to me but at this point it doesn't feel real. My goal is definitely to become the number one fighter to ever do it. To become number one because Anderson lost doesn't make me feel like I've accomplished anything. I will work hard to become the number one light heavyweight to ever be in the sport. It doesn't feel earned. Winning this fight will make me feel a little bit better about it. I'm focused on keeping that position and making it feel earned with my performances.

Jon Jones: I'm not sick of fighting here but I do get booed a lot here despite fighting Brazilians. I'll continue to perform and do my best. It's always great to fight in a different country, especially one so close to my hometown. I'm down to fight wherever makes sense. I'm going to consider myself the hometown favorite.

Alexander Gustafsson: That was one of the worst things I experienced in my life. My dream fight is coming up now so it's all good.

Jon Jones: The elbow is doing great. It held up really well against Chael in my last fight. My toe was a fluke thing but it's feeling better. I've been focusing on my boxing and I think it's important to get sharp there and allow my foot to heal. I believe everything happens for a reason and it'll be okay on fight night.

Alexander Gustafsson: Yeah, everyone is human beings here. You can lose. It gives me a spark of motivation. Most of all, I wasn't shocked when that happened.

Jon Jones: It motivates me a lot to watch somebody who I look up to like that lose. It was a reality check. I try to keep my ego in check when it comes to the fight game. Watching Anderson lose like that, first of all is something I would never do put my hands down and fight like that. Seeing Chris Weidman's dream come true, it motivates me to be a dream crusher.

Jon Jones: I don't let myself feel the burden of being a champion. There's things that Matt Hughes has done, Georges St. Pierre has done. I don't own so many records. I have no right to be complacent. I'm still young. I feel like I'm at the beginning of my journey. I'm learning to deal with media.

Jon Jones: I think Anderson Silva is a magnificent fighter. He abused his gift by disrespecting his opponent. He lost sight of that and paid the ultimate price for it. I'm not over the Anderson Silva fight train. He was fighting at a masterful level and he got disrespectful and the wargods made him pay for it. He's still the best in my book.

Alexander Gustafsson: It will mean everything for Swedish MMA and European MMA as well.

Jon Jones: Focus on belief. Belief and work ethic. Strive to be the number one fighter in your gym and take that to being the number one fighter in your weight class.

Alexander Gustafsson: His overall game is the biggest challenge. He's a complete fighter and the champion. I have to be aware of everything he does.

Jon Jones: It's the journey, becoming a better martial artist. They're both important but it's all about the journey, not necessarily about being the champion although being the champion is very important to me.

Alexander Gustafsson: I'm just enjoying what I do, no responsibility towards the fans in Europe with this fight.

Tom Wright: The chances of the UFC going to Halifax are extremely good. I've had conversations with the people who run the metro convention center there. I think it's a great spot for our sport. Halifax is a great sport town and a great university town. They are definitely on our radar. Quebec city, Saskatoon, Edmonton has been calling and there's a whole bunch of cities that want us to return. We will definitely be in Halifax for sure.

Jon Jones: Alexander Gustafsson is the biggest opponent in my life right now. He's the record I've been dreaming about for years. Answering questions about what I'd do after this fight is too far away.

Jon Jones: I definitely would like to prove to people that my size isn't the only reason why I've made it this far, it's also my mental approach to the game. I'll definitely try to prove I can kickbox with Alexander Gustafsson. I kickboxed with Shogun Rua, Lyoto Machida and Rampage Jackson. I know the safest place I can fight him and also for the fans and my own ego. I see it pretty clearly with his strengths and weaknesses like I do with every opponent.

On judges announcing round scores in between rounds. Would that change things?

Jon Jones: It would be different and take a lot longer. I think the way it is now would be appropriate.

Alexander Gustafsson: No not at all. I always give 100 percent in every round.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Goose doesn't have the strength for Jonesy's takedowns and ground n pound. Plus, Jones is motivated to be a dream crusher

The last time Goose fought a wrestler he ended up getting choked out. I just don't see how this ends any differently.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Where's the animosity?!

The seattle card that i won't be going to should be what's on everyone mind but no respect yet for the smaller guys i read a few storys about how the ufc still has one more title up for grabs so i thought we would be talking about the next card but nope or the card after that or the one after that not one this is 5 shows away
    Last edited by mma #1 fan; 07-10-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    The seattle card that i won't be going to should be what's on everyone mind but no respect yet for the smaller guys i read a few storys about how the ufc still has one more title up for grabs so i thought we would be talking about the next card but nope or the card after that or the one after that not one this is 5 shows away
    Trying to decide if I should go or not. Can't really though.

After one dominant champ's loss, UFC 165's Gustafsson says Jones only human
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...nes-only-human

"We're all human beings," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Everyone is beatable, and I'm here to prove everyone wrong, and that's how it's going to be."

At the start of this year, the 26-year-old fighter still had distance to travel in the light heavyweight division's standings. Former champs Dan Henderson and Lyoto Machida both had lost title opportunities and were set to determine Jones' next contender in a fight this past February at UFC 157. Then Machida failed to impress, and Jones demurred at a rematch with "The Dragon," whom he'd choked unconscious less than two years ago.

Gustafsson, who'd established himself as a legitimate contender with a decision over ex-champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, took immediate benefit from that shift. He was supposed to face Gegard Mousasi in a title eliminator bout held in his native Sweden. But when a cut forced him to withdraw, his future was unclear.

Then Jones requested a bout with "The Mauler" later in April following a title defense against Chael Sonnen, and he was catapulted to the No. 1 spot. Meanwhile, Mousasi was benched by an anticipated knee surgery.

The reversal of fortune didn't come without ambivalence for Gustafsson, who said he would have done anything in his power to fight the former Strikeforce champ. But he's here now to seize the title opportunity.

"I'm so pumped for this fight," said Gustafsson. "I have nothing personal against Jones. He's a professional athlete; I'm a professional athlete. This pays our rent and it's our job, so it's not personal at all."

A win for Gustafsson not only would open up possibilities in the 205-pound division, where Jones has decimated available contenders, but also further upset the pound-for-pound rankings, where the champ now sits at No. 1 on most lists following Anderson Silva's loss to Chris Weidman at UFC 162.

Following a loss to Phil Davis in his second UFC fight, Gustafsson said he never lost focus of what he'd need to do to be the best MMA fighter in the world. He hasn't lost since.

"I try to be better in everything all the time," he said. "That's the good thing about this sport. You can never fully learn; you have to train all the time."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

We've seen the impossible happen already. I would love to see it happen again.

I see Goose getting cooked, no pun intended. Then I see a fight with Glover and Bones with Bones coming out on top. But the real one I can wait for is Machida vs Bones II. I think Machida has the best chance of dethroning Bones
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Thread Information