Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva wants to rematch Chris Weidman in February 2014, opens as 2-1 favorite

1. Default Anderson Silva wants to rematch Chris Weidman in February 2014, opens as 2-1 favorite

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/9/...-2014-mma-news

For the first time in his UFC career, Anderson Silva was defeated inside the Octagon at UFC 162. In the second round of what would have been his 11th title defense, Silva was caught by a left hook from contender Chris Weidman and subsequently TKO'd. Even though he had been promised an immediate rematch by Dana White prior to the fight, the former Middleweight champ declined the offer in his post-fight interview.

After taking a few days to reflect, it looks like Anderson is changing his tune. Guilherme Cruz reported on Twitter:

Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz

According to Lauro Jardim (@radaronline), from @Veja, sources close to Anderson Silva revealed he wants a rematch with Weidman on Feb. 2014
    2:23 PM - 9 Jul 2013
    White originally said he wanted to get the rematch going for the New Year's Eve at UFC 168, but didn't take long back off that statement. If the fight goes down in February, it would seem most likely that it happens on the Super Bowl weekend card which is historically the UFC's biggest event early in the year. However, Dana also said he doesn't "the biggest fight in UFC history" to compete with the Super Bowl
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...ential-rematch

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva already is a 2-to-1 favorite over the man who just took his title, Chris Weidman, should a potential rematch happen.

Veteran oddsmaker Joey Oddessa on Tuesday confirmed the opening lines with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). Oddessa said the line opened at -175, but within the first few hours already had been bet up to -200 for Silva.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Well that didn't take long... I'd like to see that it came from him though and not "sources close to Anderson Silva". If or when this does occur, if Weidman doesn't take AS down and try to grind out the win the spider is likely to take his head off.
    et noli esse incredulus sed fidelis
    “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” –Albert Einstein

February?!?!? Why such a long wait? I wonder how Weidman would feel about having to wait 7 months for his next payday.........

I imagine he'll feel bad about waiting for his payday. But it probably depends on how much better of a pay day it is...

I think Weidman takes the rematch. Sure it could go the way of Ali vs Frazier but I see it going more like Penn vs Edgar. Many people thought BJ had won, and BJ thought he had one the first fight and he was coming off being sick and not really training too hard. (According to post at the time). So BJ walks into the second fight thinking I got this. But Edgar had greatly improved and had an even better game plan.

Weidman knows he won the fight because Silva was goofing around. Thats not to say Weidman wouldnt have won anyway, but the truth is Anderson was clowning and got caught. So Silva comes to the second fight ready to fight....but Weidman has to know this. I think his gameplan and training will be different and he will shock Silva and not only win but finish him again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    I think Weidman takes the rematch. Sure it could go the way of Ali vs Frazier but I see it going more like Penn vs Edgar. Many people thought BJ had won, and BJ thought he had one the first fight and he was coming off being sick and not really training too hard. (According to post at the time). So BJ walks into the second fight thinking I got this. But Edgar had greatly improved and had an even better game plan.

Weidman knows he won the fight because Silva was goofing around. Thats not to say Weidman wouldnt have won anyway, but the truth is Anderson was clowning and got caught. So Silva comes to the second fight ready to fight....but Weidman has to know this. I think his gameplan and training will be different and he will shock Silva and not only win but finish him again.
    I have a feeling Anderson will be a winner. I can see (or hope) that he comes in dedicated and not clowing. Kind of like GSP after he lost to Serra. If you think about it when have we ever seen "dedicated and serious" Silva?

Quote Originally Posted by Thamob View Post
    I have a feeling Anderson will be a winner. I can see (or hope) that he comes in dedicated and not clowing. Kind of like GSP after he lost to Serra. If you think about it when have we ever seen "dedicated and serious" Silva?
    Anytime he has fought a wrestler with the exception of Weidman. His first fight in the UFC against Leben and every fight in Pride. Damn Dana White has the power of influence.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I agree with BJ/Edgar 1/2 thing. I thought BJ won the first and would murder that bouncy guido (no offense hehe) the second time but it was Edgar who came in with a MUCH MORE refined strategy and BJ looked like he was just there for round 6 -- no improvement.

In other news, had it gone to the decision Adalaide Byrd would have given it to Silva no matter what -- I hope someone gets the reference here.

9. Default

I'm curious about how the loss will affect Silva. I mean, he's never been knocked out before. Now that Anderson (and the rest of the world) knows that his chin is crackable, I wonder how that will affect his confidence and strategies in future fights. I think he should have taken a warm-up fight before rematching the Kingslayer.
    ------------------

10. Default

So, if Weidman doesnt want to wait until feb to fight again, can he take another fight in the meantime?

Thread Information