Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Mark Hunt: Why would anyone want to be a UFC fighter if this is how much we get paid?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    If Dana wanted him gone, why not then cut him after he lost to Sean motherfucking McCorkle?
    Because there was an event in Australia coming up and business wise it made sense to keep him for that? There's really no one else in the UFC that would draw as many people in Australia as Mark Hunt.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flou View Post
    Because there was an event in Australia coming up and business wise it made sense to keep him for that? There's really no one else in the UFC that would draw as many people in Australia as Mark Hunt.
    I think the UFC in general can draw fine in places like Australia whoever they put on the card.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I think the UFC in general can draw fine in places like Australia whoever they put on the card.
    Partially true. But they still want to have home crowd favourites on the card. More demand for tickets, the higher the price and usually it boosts the atmosphere as well.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,708

    Default

    Look, do you stupid motherfuckers read the contract that you SIGN? Stop complaining that you aren't making enough money when you are making exactly what you agreed to plus bonuses. Well, Tim doesn't get bonuses cuz he's boring as fuck.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

    All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    Wait did I miss something? When did Mark Hunt become a Top Tier fighter? He isn't even a Top 10 HW which is the weakest overall weight class in MMA. If you made a list of the Top 100 fighters in MMA right now Mark Hunt might not make the list.
    Yeah you did miss something. Hunt was top 10 HW a fight before the JDS fight.

    Guy got paid well because he stone cold KO fighters. He is the exact type of fighter the UFC wishes most fighters were.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flou View Post
    Can't be arsed to go hunting for the thread where Toney's paycheck was posted. But afaik it was 500k for one fight that lasted what, few minutes? Perhaps even PPV money on top of that?
    I know Hunt's record as a MMA fighter and as K-1 fighter. Toney had zero experience in the octagon. Couldn't care less about his boxing record (but I did check it before the actual fight happened).

    Yes, Dana let him actually fight his contract and from the look of it he wanted Hunt gone as fast as possible. He sure as hell didn't want Mark go knocking out the likes of Pat Barry who would have actually stood with Mark. So instead they gave him wrestlers hoping they would do what wrestlers used to do Hunt.

    But did he actually treat him with the respect he deserves? No he did not. Hunt is huge draw in Japan, Mark doesn't get even on the damn poster and his entourage was very limited to the Japanese card etc.

    In professional sports 200k for a top tier athlete is pretty much nothing. Sure for martial arts it's probably the 3rd best option after boxing and kickboxing (if there's still some money in that sport). You have to remember you need to take out manager fees, camp costs, nutrition etc. from that 200k a year he makes. That doesn't leave him "much". Yes, more than you average worked gets, but as an athlete... kinda lousy money for a sports that is quite damn popular. Sure, there's still the sponsorship money on top of that, but with UFC's sponsorship politics... yeah let's not even go there.
    Hey I love MMA as much as everyone on here. But you cant compare MMA salaries to other professional sports. MMA has been growing since what...2005 when Forrest fought Bonnar?? Before that it was around but no one really noticed it in the states except for a select few of us (most of us here on these types of forums. Why dont you go look up NFL or NBA and see what those players were making 20 years into the sport. It takes time to grow a sport. The NFL has something like a 9 billion dollar tv deal. Do you really think the UFC on Fox comes close to that?

    Sure the fighters have bills. But so does the UFC. Do you think the casino in Vegas says sure use our place free of charge. Do you think the camera men, the sound guys, all the people back stage say we love this sport lets do it for free.

    No, they don't and they have to get paid too. But lets break this down a little bit more. What has Hunt done to deserve more than 200K a year? He came to the UFC with a losing record. His biggest wins were not over top 10 opponents in the UFC. He was "known" what 10 years ago in a dying sport called K1.... I mean lets be honest. How many people knew who Mark Hunt was before he fought in Pride..... I didn't think so. Maybe...Just maybe 1 card is fought in Japan a year. You sit there and mock Toney getting paid yet you think a guy with a sub to .500 record should be the feature fighter in card in Japan just because he was at one time popular there?

    So just because he is an athlete he should be making more than the average person for having an average record? He should get paid more money than the average person doing something he loves because people enjoy watching it? No he still needs to earn it. And he did. He got 160K to get KOed by JDS.

    And who are really talking about here when we say Mid card or Mid level guys. You see a lot of 24/24 or even 75/75 pay salaries on those fighters. Should the guy fighting on the facebook prelim who is just the hometown guy really get 10k to fight?? Hell no, what he is getting is opportunity to show that he belongs in the big show. When you are an unknown talent who is hungry you take less to follow your dream. You signed the contract, if you dont like it, go out there kick the shit out of some people and ask for a raise. Hunt did that and got a 160K fight.

    Nutrition is a joke. Its called cost of living. We all have to eat. And if you are losing that much money on a manager and camp then maybe its not your employer who is the problem but the people you are hiring to handle your money and training.

    I can understand how people new to fighting sports do not give a shit about Toney. I can even see how they think he was over paid. I can see how people miss the fact that by paying him that much it got his ass in the cage. It also brought in more viewers, it raised PPV numbers, anyone who actually got a cut of that PPV got paid. Hell I'm willing to bet you the backstage bonuses were flying from Zuffa. Just like when Brock fought.

    Professional TEAM sports are different. You get paid more to win the championship as a team. Its apples to oranges. Go look up how much a boxer makes who is fighting not just on the undercard but in the prelims.

    Also, people say you cant count sponsorship money. Why not??? Because you are fighting for the UFC you get more sponsorship opportunity. Do you think the guy fighting in some cage in the middle of bum fuck gets anyone other than Joe Bob's Tractors throwing in 10 bucks??

    I mean, people will always bitch about money. If you dont think you are making enough money then improve your situation by winning more fights and moving up to the money or find another job.

    Poker is a "sport". So is Bowling. So is Golf. If your not at the tops of those sports guess how much you make........

    here I'll help you out with it

    http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/5/...ip-prize-money

    T50 Peter Tomasulo $15,829.00
    T50 Chris Kirk $15,829.00
    T50 Ryo Ishikawa $15,829.00
    T50 Stuart Appleby $15,829.00
    T50 Jason Kokrak $15,829.00
    T50 James Hahn $15,829.00
    T50 Nathan Smith $15,829.00
    T50 Tommy Gainey $15,829.00
    T58 Dicky Pride $14,874.00
    T58 Trevor Immelman $14,874.00
    T58 Boo Weekley $14,874.00
    T61 Steve Marino $14,405.00
    T61 Gary Woodland $14,405.00
    T61 Steven Bowditch $14,405.00
    T61 Will Claxton $14,405.00
    T65 Zach Johnson $13,936.00
    T65 Roberto Castro $13,936.00
    T65 Hunter Haas $13,936.00
    T68 Casey Wittenberg $13,534.00
    T68 Matteo Manassero $13,534.00
    T68 Brad Fritsch $13,534.00
    71 Angel Cabrera $13,266.00
    72 Luke Guthrie $13,132.00

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,434

    Default

    Golfers compete more than 3 times a year.

    http://espn.go.com/golf/moneylist

    Wut? A top 50 golfer making 1 million a year?! Unpossible.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 07-12-2013 at 06:11 AM.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Golfers compete more than 3 times a year.

    http://espn.go.com/golf/moneylist

    Wut? A top 50 golfer making 1 million a year?! Unpossible.
    ummmmm thats the money leader board........ What about the guy who hits 50 in a couple of tournaments but is't on the leader board......

    exactly. Plus that is DEFINITELY performance based.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    Hey I love MMA as much as everyone on here. But you cant compare MMA salaries to other professional sports. MMA has been growing since what...2005 when Forrest fought Bonnar?? Before that it was around but no one really noticed it in the states except for a select few of us (most of us here on these types of forums. Why dont you go look up NFL or NBA and see what those players were making 20 years into the sport. It takes time to grow a sport. The NFL has something like a 9 billion dollar tv deal. Do you really think the UFC on Fox comes close to that?

    Sure the fighters have bills. But so does the UFC. Do you think the casino in Vegas says sure use our place free of charge. Do you think the camera men, the sound guys, all the people back stage say we love this sport lets do it for free.

    No, they don't and they have to get paid too. But lets break this down a little bit more. What has Hunt done to deserve more than 200K a year? He came to the UFC with a losing record. His biggest wins were not over top 10 opponents in the UFC. He was "known" what 10 years ago in a dying sport called K1.... I mean lets be honest. How many people knew who Mark Hunt was before he fought in Pride..... I didn't think so. Maybe...Just maybe 1 card is fought in Japan a year. You sit there and mock Toney getting paid yet you think a guy with a sub to .500 record should be the feature fighter in card in Japan just because he was at one time popular there?

    So just because he is an athlete he should be making more than the average person for having an average record? He should get paid more money than the average person doing something he loves because people enjoy watching it? No he still needs to earn it. And he did. He got 160K to get KOed by JDS.

    And who are really talking about here when we say Mid card or Mid level guys. You see a lot of 24/24 or even 75/75 pay salaries on those fighters. Should the guy fighting on the facebook prelim who is just the hometown guy really get 10k to fight?? Hell no, what he is getting is opportunity to show that he belongs in the big show. When you are an unknown talent who is hungry you take less to follow your dream. You signed the contract, if you dont like it, go out there kick the shit out of some people and ask for a raise. Hunt did that and got a 160K fight.

    Nutrition is a joke. Its called cost of living. We all have to eat. And if you are losing that much money on a manager and camp then maybe its not your employer who is the problem but the people you are hiring to handle your money and training.

    I can understand how people new to fighting sports do not give a shit about Toney. I can even see how they think he was over paid. I can see how people miss the fact that by paying him that much it got his ass in the cage. It also brought in more viewers, it raised PPV numbers, anyone who actually got a cut of that PPV got paid. Hell I'm willing to bet you the backstage bonuses were flying from Zuffa. Just like when Brock fought.

    Professional TEAM sports are different. You get paid more to win the championship as a team. Its apples to oranges. Go look up how much a boxer makes who is fighting not just on the undercard but in the prelims.

    Also, people say you cant count sponsorship money. Why not??? Because you are fighting for the UFC you get more sponsorship opportunity. Do you think the guy fighting in some cage in the middle of bum fuck gets anyone other than Joe Bob's Tractors throwing in 10 bucks??

    I mean, people will always bitch about money. If you dont think you are making enough money then improve your situation by winning more fights and moving up to the money or find another job.

    Poker is a "sport". So is Bowling. So is Golf. If your not at the tops of those sports guess how much you make........

    here I'll help you out with it

    http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/5/...ip-prize-money
    True, MMA is a new sport. But then again it's the fastest growing sport and the UFC is highly valued brand at the moment. No need/point to check what people were making 20 years into different sports, since it's totally different time. Back in the 60's or even in the 80's (in some sports) there were no lucrative tv deals or sponsors. Current technology and globalization helps a lot in that sense. Back in the day in Finland you only saw NHL games from the newspaper. They sure as hell didn't air any live games during the 80's and even rarely in the 90's. Now there's dedicated hockey/sports channels that air NHL games (or even NHL's own gamepass system). Naturally all that reflects to what the people involved in the sports are getting paid.

    And no TV deal should be compared to the NFL TV deal. Pretty much every other sport is making pennies compared to the amount of money NFL makes from TV contracts alone.

    Naturally the UFC has bills as well. Insurance, crew and staff ain't free either and some venues cost more than some. I'm pretty sure Las Vegas is a good and fairly cheap place for UFC since the casino that hosts the event is getting huge marketing just from the UFC being there.

    I think a lot of fight fans knew Mark Hunt well enough. K-1 was highly popular in Europe, Asia and Oceania. You could actually see the events on TV here, UFC was no where to be seen. I think US events didn't do that well though. And from the looks of it Mark Hunt is still quite popular in Japan. Doesn't seem like your average asian fan would immediately turn on the fighter once he loses once or twice.

    Overall I think athletes are getting paid way too much. But then again, I don't feel like the owners of clubs/organizations should be the only people getting rich. In a perfect world neither party would be getting filthy rich.

    Basic pay the UFC is giving some of these nobodies is mostly okay, but I think they should be handing out even more bonuses to the people actually entertaining the audience. But I guess that is happening already behind the scenes. Just hope they would be more open about it, like 5k bonus for finishing your opponent.
    But it is really tough situation for these lower tier fighters. If they want to get better they need to train pretty damn hard, and how do you mix family life and a day job in all that? And once you get your chance in the big show you get paid pretty much nothing after all the costs. There's just so much at stake for them in a single fight / couple of fights. I guess and hope the situation gets better in the long run. At least in hockey etc. if you don't make in the big leagues (NHL) there's always the AHL that pays decent and European leagues that pay even better than the farm leagues in North America. There just aren't enough organizations that would pay decent money that would let the athletes focus on their careers. At least not currently. But I guess we are getting derailed here...

    We all have to eat, true. But we all don't have to be in top shape. And if you don't want to give your opponent an advantage, you will train with some of the best and that costs.

    And yes I'm aware Toney probably brought in viewers. But at the same time, I think he was overpaid for his effort. Business wise, great decision by the UFC, but if you think about it no one should be paid that much for such an effort. But it's the shitty world we live in...

    There's big difference between Bob Tractors putting 10 bucks to sponsor a fighter and the 50k UFC demands from each sponsor just to be able to sponsor in the UFC. And with the way UFC just decides to ban some of the sponsors, how many are willing to pay that 50k to sponsor in a sport some believe to be very brutal? I'm pretty sure there are lots and lots more companies willing to pay 10k for the fighter to promote them than there a companies that first want to pay 50k to the UFC and then some small amounts of dollars to the actual fighter. I've never heard that any other organization demands money from the sponsors to themselves if the company is sponsoring a team/individual.

    And picking golf as the comparison is just weak. Golfers attend more than 3 events a year. Not to mention the top 200 golfers around the world are definately getting paid well enough, since there's so many events they can and will attend to each year.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flou View Post
    There's big difference between Bob Tractors putting 10 bucks to sponsor a fighter and the 50k UFC demands from each sponsor just to be able to sponsor in the UFC. And with the way UFC just decides to ban some of the sponsors, how many are willing to pay that 50k to sponsor in a sport some believe to be very brutal? I'm pretty sure there are lots and lots more companies willing to pay 10k for the fighter to promote them than there a companies that first want to pay 50k to the UFC and then some small amounts of dollars to the actual fighter. I've never heard that any other organization demands money from the sponsors to themselves if the company is sponsoring a team/individual.
    My main problem is indeed the sponsorships. If fighter pay isn't going to increase, then fighters should be allowed to wear whatever they want on their banners and shorts.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •