Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Hunt: Why would anyone want to be a UFC fighter if this is how much we get paid?

Also keep in mind for a sport that has it's figurehead constantly talked about how it's going to overtake the major sports $537000 over 2.5 years for a top tier fighter is a pittance. Especially considering the physical risks these guys take. As long as the UFC's financials remain clouded there's always going to be room for criticism for fighter pay. When that criticism comes from the fighters themselves that's something that shouldn't be summarily dismissed.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

Why is it that Tim Kennedy seems to get a pass with some but so far I haven't seen anybody really standing up for Mark?

Quote Originally Posted by Nauner View Post
    Why is it that Tim Kennedy seems to get a pass with some but so far I haven't seen anybody really standing up for Mark?
    I think it may be because Kennedy added the people making under $10K to show. Mark just mentioned himself, from what I've read.

Maybe if he wouldn't spend so much on bleach for his hair he could afford to pay his bills...

People need to reread his quote. The focus of his statement is complaining about "these goons" that make more than him. It's not a general complaint of his overall salary in the start of the quote, but the fact that other people make more than him and he feels thats not justified. He's basically insulting everyone he can with this quote, undeserving idiots that make more than him and then at the end asks why anyone would want to make a quarter mil a year. a boo hoo
    LJS-NEMS

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    People need to reread his quote. The focus of his statement is complaining about "these goons" that make more than him. It's not a general complaint of his overall salary in the start of the quote, but the fact that other people make more than him and he feels thats not justified. He's basically insulting everyone he can with this quote, undeserving idiots that make more than him and then at the end asks why anyone would want to make a quarter mil a year. a boo hoo
    Well Mark has a point. UFC sometimes pays ridicilous amounts of money for people that haven't done **** to deserve that pay. 500k for James Toney? If a former has been boxing champion is worth 500k then clearly a K-1 champion with MMA background is worth more than that or at least the same amount.

Also I'm pretty sure Mark Hunt got used to a "bit" fatter check during his time in Pride and K-1. If you compare that to the amount of money UFC is paying him, even though the sport is more popular and making a nice profit, it does raise a point if the UFC should pay more. Not to mention that Mark Hunt draws people to the shows in some areas. Just put him on any Aussie/Japan card and there will be loads of people supporting Mark. Just not sure how he draws on PPV since I guess K-1 never was as popular in USA as it was in Europe, Oceania and Asia.

But then again Dana treated Mark like shit from the get go, so there hasn't been much of promotional push to make him more popular....
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Quote Originally Posted by Flou View Post
    Well Mark has a point. UFC sometimes pays ridicilous amounts of money for people that haven't done **** to deserve that pay. 500k for James Toney? If a former has been boxing champion is worth 500k then clearly a K-1 champion with MMA background is worth more than that or at least the same amount.

Also I'm pretty sure Mark Hunt got used to a "bit" fatter check during his time in Pride and K-1. If you compare that to the amount of money UFC is paying him, even though the sport is more popular and making a nice profit, it does raise a point if the UFC should pay more. Not to mention that Mark Hunt draws people to the shows in some areas. Just put him on any Aussie/Japan card and there will be loads of people supporting Mark. Just not sure how he draws on PPV since I guess K-1 never was as popular in USA as it was in Europe, Oceania and Asia.

But then again Dana treated Mark like shit from the get go, so there hasn't been much of promotional push to make him more popular....
    Dana treated Mark like shit to the point that he allowed Mark to fight when he was just going to pay off his contract and be done with him. Yea a man bitching about 200K plus in a year??? Go the fuck on.

Not to mention have you seen Hunts MMA record when he came to the UFC? Do you know Toneys record / history as a boxer?

Show me proof where he got a fatter pay check. Other wise its just nut huggin and hatin

Quote Originally Posted by YukonJordan View Post
    Also keep in mind for a sport that has it's figurehead constantly talked about how it's going to overtake the major sports $537000 over 2.5 years for a top tier fighter is a pittance. Especially considering the physical risks these guys take. As long as the UFC's financials remain clouded there's always going to be room for criticism for fighter pay. When that criticism comes from the fighters themselves that's something that shouldn't be summarily dismissed.
    Wait did I miss something? When did Mark Hunt become a Top Tier fighter? He isn't even a Top 10 HW which is the weakest overall weight class in MMA. If you made a list of the Top 100 fighters in MMA right now Mark Hunt might not make the list.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    Dana treated Mark like shit to the point that he allowed Mark to fight when he was just going to pay off his contract and be done with him. Yea a man bitching about 200K plus in a year??? Go the fuck on.

Not to mention have you seen Hunts MMA record when he came to the UFC? Do you know Toneys record / history as a boxer?

Show me proof where he got a fatter pay check. Other wise its just nut huggin and hatin
    Can't be arsed to go hunting for the thread where Toney's paycheck was posted. But afaik it was 500k for one fight that lasted what, few minutes? Perhaps even PPV money on top of that?
    I know Hunt's record as a MMA fighter and as K-1 fighter. Toney had zero experience in the octagon. Couldn't care less about his boxing record (but I did check it before the actual fight happened).

Yes, Dana let him actually fight his contract and from the look of it he wanted Hunt gone as fast as possible. He sure as hell didn't want Mark go knocking out the likes of Pat Barry who would have actually stood with Mark. So instead they gave him wrestlers hoping they would do what wrestlers used to do Hunt.

But did he actually treat him with the respect he deserves? No he did not. Hunt is huge draw in Japan, Mark doesn't get even on the damn poster and his entourage was very limited to the Japanese card etc.

In professional sports 200k for a top tier athlete is pretty much nothing. Sure for martial arts it's probably the 3rd best option after boxing and kickboxing (if there's still some money in that sport). You have to remember you need to take out manager fees, camp costs, nutrition etc. from that 200k a year he makes. That doesn't leave him "much". Yes, more than you average worked gets, but as an athlete... kinda lousy money for a sports that is quite damn popular. Sure, there's still the sponsorship money on top of that, but with UFC's sponsorship politics... yeah let's not even go there.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

10. Default

If Dana wanted him gone, why not then cut him after he lost to Sean motherfucking McCorkle?

Thread Information