Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ronda Rousey: Other WMMA fighters 'haven't given me very many props'

1. Default Ronda Rousey: Other WMMA fighters 'haven't given me very many props'

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/9/...ana-white-wmma

Ronda Rousey has been at the head of the current WMMA revolution, acting as the star that UFC president Dana White could get behind pushing on the big stage. Rousey's clear "next level" talent has made her much more than a pretty face, the violence of her fights adding even more appeal than her good looks.

While Rousey has always been quick to acknowledge the role that Gina Carano played in growing the sport of WMMA, she recently talked to Bleacher Report and is seeming to start to take issue with the current crop of fighters not giving her credit for advancing their ability to make money:

"Itís amazing and it really works out fortunately that these girls are a lot better off now," Rousey told Bleacher Report. "Itís great that women can actually make careers now in mixed martial arts and make good money doing what they love to do. But I know they havenít really given me very many props for it, and thatís cool because I havenít done it for appreciation. Iíve done it for myself and I have my own selfish motives too.

"I canít really hate on them too much but it would be nice to hear it without a grain of salt from Alexis Davis for once or after the womenís debut in the UFC, Cat Zingano wasnít saying, 'ehÖthere are a lot of holes in her game.í At the same time, itís not something Iím expecting. We are competitors and competitive by nature. I donít expect them to be bringing me sunshine, lollipops and daisies when all they want to do is smash my face in and take everything Iíve so hard to accomplish. At least they are being real about it."
    While WMMA in the UFC may have been an eventuality regardless, there's no denying that Rousey was the perfect star that could get Dana White -- a long time holdout on the idea -- to allow it to happen.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

dimerules28 Guest

Maybe they should be thanking the UFC, Fox or even Dana and the Fertittas... Just like Ronda

she just needs to give it time one day she shall get that respect it might be after she's the first women in the ufc hof but it will come one day

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    Maybe they should be thanking the UFC, Fox or even Dana and the Fertittas... Just like Ronda
    Aint' that the truth.

Ronda is not a pioneer for WMMA. There were tons of female fighters who broke into the sport before her. Gina Carano was pulling in ratings for WMMA in SF long before her. PLUS, had Carano not quit MMA before the UFC purchased it, maybe Dana would have had a boner for her, and bought over WMMA to UFC earlier. Also, I think Dana was more attracted to Ronda's "Chael Sonnen-esque shtick" for selling fights than her skills as a fighter.

I'm all for WMMA, I enjoy many of the fights. I will however be happy when Rousey is derailed. I hate her more each time she opens her mouth.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

6. Default

Gina to Ronda is like comparing a 5' high dive to a 15' you just can't do as much off of the 5 footer. SF was a 5 footer so that limited Gina plus her loss too

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    ...for ignoring and/or publicly disrespecting to the point of outright ridiculing their profession until they saw there was guaranteed money to me made off of it? Yeah, the Fertittas and dana should really get lots of credit for jumping on the bandwagon after it proved it would sell.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ...for ignoring and/or publicly disrespecting to the point of outright ridiculing their profession until they saw there was guaranteed money to me made off of it? Yeah, the Fertittas and dana should really get lots of credit for jumping on the bandwagon after it proved it would sell.

rh
    ^^This.

If I had a nickel for every time Dana said WMMA would never be in UFC...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Somebody is already their own biggest fan.

Kudos to her on her new-found passive-aggressive stance. (You don't have to thank me, I did it for myself....but the least you could do is thank me....)

Everytime she talks I just get annoyed.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

dimerules28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

rh
    Lol its called being smart hahahah... No shit they wouldnt of done it if there was no money. Like wow hate dana and the fertittas much???

So im guessing you think they should be thanking SF for taking womesn mma to the top right?? You know getting Ronda all that media exposure..
    Last edited by dimerules28; 07-11-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Thread Information