Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuck Liddell defends UFC fighter pay, tells critics ‘you picked the wrong profession

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    It is not that they are bums who want to train as little as possible and in return want 5 million dollars per fight.
    You're right, it's not that. I believe the problem is when these lower paid fighters, and even some mid card fighters see what GSP, Silva, Jones, Rashad, etc, they feel upset when compared to their salaries. They want that $100k/$100k kinda pay, but they want it right away. Seems like fighters dont want to be patient and earn their way up to that, and instead just want the higher paying contract to be their next contract.

Just to throw some figures out there:
    Anderson Silva first fight against Leben was $18k/$18k. His 2nd fight pushed up to $25k/$25 when he beat Franklin for the title. His last fight was $600k to show and $200k win bonus.

Jon Jones in his 2nd fight was making $7k/$7k. HIs fight against Sonnen made him $400k.

GSP in his first fight made $3k/$3k. NOw he makes $400k show money.

These guys earned it. They kept training, improving their skills, and winning. They became champs, rightfully so with their hard work and dedication.

Any of these undercard fighters have a chance to make that kinda money. Frankie Edgar, Cain, JDS, Jones all started on the undercard. Nobody knew who they were until they started putting winning streaks together. For that, they got those big money contracts.

I have the most issue with the mid tier and high-mid tier level of pay.

I know people that fight. They don't seem to have a problem with it. Fight and train and work your day job. If fighting is really your passion then strive for the day that you can quit your job. Someone getting the chance of their lifetime on an undercard shouldn't be getting a years pay for working folk just to show.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

I think the current pay rates probably need a slight bump up across the board, but I don't really want to see MMA devolve and run into the same problems most of the other sports organizations have. Once one guy gets a significant pay raise then another wants it and so on... then we end up having hold outs or the guy not fighting because they won't match what he wants.

I think rewarding the fighter based on success and having them work up to bigger money is the best way to go as far as I'm concerned. It works for golf and tennis you never hear complaints about salaries there (at least I haven't)

The payscale should at least be going up with inflation.

dimerules28 Guest

I really dont see how you can complain about a contract that you agreed to and signed... Also this isnt new, have they seen what boxers on the undercard get paid. They cant even buy food for a month with what they get paid.

A rich guy telling not rich guys to shut up about their pay. Got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

painful reading some of these comments
    LJS-NEMS

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    No a rich guy who was making far less than the non rich guys and paved the way for them, busted his ass to become rich. If you want money, go out and get it and quit sticking your hands out for it. Makes me sick the entitlement.
    QFT. end discussion
    LJS-NEMS

Thread Information