Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Liddell defends UFC fighter pay, tells critics ‘you picked the wrong profession

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you. It's something many businesses have forgotten, not just the UFC. Instead of brushing off these complaints maybe the UFC should work on addressing them in a constructive manner. Maybe form a commission to see if it's possible to find ways to alleviate some of the burdens newer fighters have when entering the UFC in terms of training costs. If they expect these fighters to be at their best, then they must expect them to train. That costs money, so calculating the cost of the average training camp, plus food, plus normal bills, transportation, taxes ect. could be worked into contracts. It would to take some work and expense to figure out but in the end it's a choice, and the UFC doesn't feel it has to concern itself with struggling lower card fighters. They see them as a dime a dozen and until we see more competition threatening the UFC's bottom line, they are for most part, right.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Hughes: How can these guys complain about their pay?
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...out-their-pay/
    Fighter pay has been a hotly debated topic as of late. Some ex-UFC fighters and current fighters have aired their grievences publicly and support have also come to the support of their employeer. Matt Hughes now serves as the UFC Vice President of Athletic Development and Government Relations, and of course was a former world champion. His take on the issue:

"You go back to when I first started. These guys are making as much now as I did when I won the belt," Hughes said. "How can these guys complain about their pay? I don't understand it. I really don't.

"Most of the guys that complain are guys who have been kicked out of the UFC. Like (Jon) Fitch. I like Fitch. I'm not talking bad about him, but I'm going to tell the truth. If people didn't buy a ticket or buy a pay-per-view to watch him fight, then what good is he? A lot of people found him extremely boring. And so he got let go, and he's not happy about it. But the facts are the facts."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Could there not be a happy medium in this issue if the UFC found a way to start a profit-sharing program that rewarded longevity, number of fights/year, and accomplishments? Kind of a tiered system I would suppose.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Could there not be a happy medium in this issue if the UFC found a way to start a profit-sharing program that rewarded longevity, number of fights/year, and accomplishments? Kind of a tiered system I would suppose.
    Are you suggesting performance bonuses like they have in MLB, for playing certain number of games, or hitting certain number of hits, HR, rbi, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    That has much potentiality.

JLau: I couldn't be happier with UFC pay structure
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...pay-structure/

“We’re paid fighters, so getting in to the UFC doesn’t mean you’re gonna have this cushy job," said Lauzon. "You get paid based on how your performance goes. I’ve been very fortunate where I have had some great fights and I’ve been rewarded with some bonuses. I couldn’t be happier with the pay structure. It all comes down to people wanting to see you fight.”

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/22/45...ldo-brazil-mma
    UFC 163 payouts: Korean Zombie discloses 20/20 salary split with no PPV points against Jose Aldo in Brazil
    "I will be making 20,000 dollars to show, and another 20,000 dollars if I win. I do not get any PPV points. After two more fights, I will be able to negotiate my contract. Hopefully, I will be in a good position when that happens. I believe I am a very popular fighter, but I do not make a lot of money. There is definitely a problem with that. MMA was at its peak in South Korea when Hong Man Choi fought Fedor Emelianenko. Hong Man Choi was a huge star in South Korea; there isn't anyone like that anymore. TV ratings were 10 percent in those days, now they are barely 1-2 percent. South Korea needs a star like that for MMA to flourish. I am lacking in a lot of ways, but hopefully I can become a star with the way I fight."

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/22/45...ldo-brazil-mma
    UFC 163 payouts: Korean Zombie discloses 20/20 salary split with no PPV points against Jose Aldo in Brazil
    KZ gonna be rich after the fight. He's gonna clear.... what.... 15k for a title fight?

Message: Work as hard as you can to get that title fight and you can disappear off radar. If you lose there will be no fistful of dollars.

There is definitely a problem with that. MMA was at its peak in South Korea when Hong Man Choi fought Fedor Emelianenko. Hong Man Choi was a huge star in South Korea; there isn't anyone like that anymore.
    TKZ is ten times more entertaining of a fighter than Hong Man Choi was. But then it makes you wonder, did the South Koreans watch to see their country man attempt to dethrone the GOAT or did they watch because Choi's fights were like freak shows - and we all know how much Asian's like freak shows.

As a comparable, the minimum salary in the Canadian Football League is $45,000 (before bonuses) a season. Players are also supplied coaches, trainers and practice facilities by their team, not at their expense.

If the UFC doesn't think there's a problem with fighter pay, than fine. But when you fail to match the CFL in base pay, it pretty much negates the ability to compare yourself to the other big leagues.

If the UFC wants to attract top athletes they need to have more competitive pay. Guys need to be able to cover their training expenses and have enough left over to live a reasonably comfortable life. IMO that's not too much to ask.

Thread Information