Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuck Liddell defends UFC fighter pay, tells critics ‘you picked the wrong profession

I find it quite hard to consider a guy who is getting repeatedly busted in the face entitled.

What I would say is that little pricks that sit in front of keyboards and throw stones at guys of whom they know jack squat to be entitled. (Please don't take that as a shot at you guys personally, I know this is a forum where people go to express opinions and what not)

If it was as simple as just showing up at weigh-ins and fight night, I would agree that 12/12 would be a solid wage for low end UFC guys. However, it's not that simple and everyone here knows it.

The UFC limits your opportunities for sponsorship. They retain exclusive rights to your likeness for video game and marketing purposes. They have the authority to arbitrarily discontinue fighter contracts without warning. They require media appearances, conference calls, etc. They hold you to their code of conduct when you AREN'T fighting. ETC. ETC. ETC.

I won't get into my opinions about all this crap because everyone knows where I stand on the matter and Chuck's response was, at minimum, to be expected as he's played company man for YEARS.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

http://www.sherdog.com/blog/Greg-Jac...neration-53655

Greg Jackson, on “Beatdown,” discussing whether MMA fighters will unionize:

“I don’t think so, at least at this point. Maybe down the road. Maybe after my generation. Certainly I don’t think now. Fighters are so self-serving that I can’t see them all unifying together. They’ll step on each other’s back pretty easily. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Enough of them where I think it would make the union kind of ineffective. That’s just my opinion. Listen, if someone could prove me wrong, more power to them.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Cops get shot at for a living. Should they make 4,000,000 a year? People make what their value to their business/company make. How much does McDonalds make a year? Should their yearly profits dictate what assistant managers make? If you are working a job and hate it and the compensation you receive, you should either find a new career or make yourself valuable to your company through success or innovation to require higher pay. Be more valuable to your company and you be rewarded.
    LJS-NEMS

Cops do not work for a profitable company. Cops do not work in a place that receives sponsorships. Cops have a career that likely spans 30 years. Cops don't sign over their likeness for marketing. ETC. ETC. ETC. Your parallel is absolutely irrelevant.

Same goes for McDonald's.

I highly doubt any of these guys HATE what they do.

I love how fighter's get all sorts of passes because they get 'punched in the face' for a living.

Man the fuck up already. You want the big bucks? Go knock out Anderson Silva. You want the big bucks? Put on a win streak and get noticed. You want the big bucks? Make sure people want to watch you fight. You want the big bucks? Throw caution to the wind sometimes.

It isn't slavery. If you don't like your pay, if garbage men make more money, if the pay is so low you live out of your car, then go get another job. Fighting isn't cutting it then.

Would you toil around at a job making a horrible salary or would you actively look for other work?
    LET THE IRONY BEGIN!!!

A guy at a keyboard telling a professional athlete/fighter to man up!!
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

5. Default

It has clearly been shown, if you win and conitnue to win you get more money (every fighter who's ever worked their way to the title...ever ex:GSP, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Cruz, Faber, Liddell, Machida, etc. etc. etc.). If you are entertaining (ala Chris Lytle, Joe Lauzon, Leonard Garcia) you win money.

If you don't win, don't bring in viewers, and are boring, you don't get paid. Don't like it? Unionize.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    LET THE IRONY BEGIN!!!

...it makes perfect sense. A guy like Bisping should get paid more than fighters more skilled than he is, because he's manned the fuck up and knocked out Anderson Silva. I totes see that logic.

It's the opposite of surprising to see Chuck parrotting the company lines. I'm betting if you look under his circa 1980 rough-trade facial hair, there are lines on his chin like a ventriloquist dummy. Whose lap do you think he gets to sit on at the end of the day...or do they just put him back in a nice, dark, quiet box until they need a performance again?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

7. Default

Let's go through the champs.

HW Champ - Cain Velasquez
    First fight: (12,000 + 10,000)
    Last fight: $400,000 (no bonus)

LHW Champ - Jon Jones
    First fight: (Not made public - UFC 87)
    Second fight: $14,000 ($7,000 win bonus)
    Last fight: $400,000

MW Champ - *Anderson Silva (* I know it just changed hands but to show perspective)
    First fight: ($36,000)
    Last fight: ($600,000)

WW Champ - GSP
    First fight: $6,000 ($3,000 for fighting; $3,000 win bonus)
    Last fight: $400,000 ($200,000 to show, $200,000 win bonus)

LW Champ - Benson Henderson
    First WEC fight: $5,000 (includes $2,000 win bonus)
    Last WEC fight: (not disclosed)
    First UFC fight: $34,000 ($17,000 to show, $17,000 win bonus)
    Last UFC fight: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus)

FW Champ - Jose Aldo
    First WEC fight: ($6,000)
    Last WEC fight: (not disclosed)
    First UFC fight: $48,000 ($24,000 to show, $24,000 win bonus)
    Last UFC fight: $240,000 ($120,000 purse/$120,000 win bonus)

Gotta run or I would keep going.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

These guys have a pretty short professional life, Stann just announced his retirement for example. In some of their cases, fighting is the only thing they know how to do, add to that their short professional lifetime, and they will not have a long term income of significance, thus their need to demand a higher payout.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

LET THE IRONY BEGIN!!!

And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information