Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuck Liddell defends UFC fighter pay, tells critics ‘you picked the wrong profession

1. Default Chuck Liddell defends UFC fighter pay, tells critics ‘you picked the wrong profession

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/7/10...man-dana-white

Grumbles about low fighter pay remain a thorn in UFC officials' sides, despite their best efforts to quell the ruckus. But if you're to believe one Hall of Famer, the discussion is much ado about nothing.

"Okay, look. I just had this conversation with a top-10 fighter, and he's saying the same thing. [Lower paid] guys have got to understand, this is a performance based sport, like all sports," former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell recently explained to SiriusXM Fight Club. "You fight good, you win, you get paid. Alright? You're starting out, no one knows who you are, no one cares, you don't get paid. Period. It's simple. I mean, my first contract I was offered by the UFC, or my second contract, it was 1-and-1, 2-and-2, 3-and-3. That's $12,000 for the year. Don't complain to me about fighter pay. It was $12,000 for a year and it was exclusive.

"Everybody doesn't want to hurt to lower guys from getting paid, but it comes down to, it's a performance based business. You get good, you win, then you get paid. Guys are getting paid plenty, trust me. I got paid plenty, trust me."
    Liddell, who currently serves as the UFC's Executive Vice President of Business Development, continued to defend the UFC's pay structure, then grew animated as the topic turned to the negative comparisons drawn between MMA salaries and the lavish, multi-million dollar purses pulled in by boxing's biggest stars.

"Everybody points to, ‘Oh, boxing these guys are getting [paid].' There's a couple guys that make these big huge paydays. That's it," Liddell explained. "The undercards don't make anything. There's bottom guys on some of those cards that are making $100 a round. $100 a round. That's $400 for a four-round fight.

"People got to understand, the fighters at the top are the fighters that are supposed to get paid because they're the guys that are bringing people in, bringing eyes to the TV, getting pay-per-views buys, and putting people in the seats. I mean, that's what it comes down to. You want to get that? Beat everybody. Be good enough. If you're not good enough to get there -- sorry. It's not a welfare state."

"You picked the wrong sport," Liddell said in closing. "Hey, you made a good run at it. You tried. Eh, try another sport because this one doesn't work for you."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Don't poke at Chuck's company, he'll poke you back harder & probably blind you.

I agree with everything Chuck had to say.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

I don't totally agree with Chuck. Chuck basically took a dump on a lot of fighters with his comments; but he's toeing the party line.

Undercard fighters add a substantial amount of value to the card. Sure, they don't command the same pay as marquee fighters, but to treat them as if they're non-essential is silly.

Try selling a UFC PPV with 1 marquee fight and absolutely no undercard.

Good luck.

On another note, I think there's probably a disconnect between MMA fans and the understanding of what these low to mid level fighters have to pay just to be able to compete; I'm not sure, but I've heard it's a pretty costly undertaking.
    Last edited by Leucoethiops; 07-12-2013 at 01:13 AM.

...the accountant has spoken...

I think the main question is, can the UFC afford to share the wealth a bit more with their fighters? Probably. Do they have a right not to? Absolutely. But as the continue to rake in money and grow into a multi-billion dollar company, how long can they justify the low pay? Everything a fighter has to do to prepare costs serious money, if what you are making doesn't begin to cover those expenses than what are you working towards? Guys should not be living in their cars if they fight in the UFC. I think Henry Ford had the right idea when he doubled his worker's wages, of course that situation was more complex, but the idea of the largest sports organization in the world having fighters who make less a year than the guys cleaning up the UFC offices in Las Vegas should shame any half decent employer. But it's clear that none of the UFC higher ups really give a shit. To them it's show business and their job is to try and make as much money as possible for the company and do the bare minimum to attracted talented fighters. It's gonna take competition to make the UFC pay these guys what they should be making as "premiere fighters". Dana's quick to say the UFC only has the best of the best, yet how many of these guys are struggling to make ends meet? Chasing a dream like it's the lottery....It just shouldn't be that way in my opinion.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Yeah so he is basically saying that only Top 5 fighters are worth of receiving big amounts of money, the other ones must accept a low pay, or just change their profession.

How easy is to say that when you are receiving huge huge amounts of money. Chris Weidman is currently ranked No. 1 in the world and he received something like 24,000 bucks for beating the arguably best MMA fighter in history. That is not that much actually.

If there are many fighters that have complained about their payment then there must be a reason for that. It is not that they are bums who want to train as little as possible and in return want 5 million dollars per fight.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

So a guy fighting in a regional promotion, entering his first UFC fight because he is a home town kid should make enough money in 1 fight to cover all of his bills???

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    So a guy fighting in a regional promotion, entering his first UFC fight because he is a home town kid should make enough money in 1 fight to cover all of his bills???
    A fighter with 2-3 impressive wins certainly deserves more than 12/12.

Thread Information