Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: Chuck Liddell defends UFC fighter pay, tells critics ‘you picked the wrong profession

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Let's go through the champs.

    HW Champ - Cain Velasquez
    First fight: (12,000 + 10,000)
    Last fight: $400,000 (no bonus)

    LHW Champ - Jon Jones
    First fight: (Not made public - UFC 87)
    Second fight: $14,000 ($7,000 win bonus)
    Last fight: $400,000

    MW Champ - *Anderson Silva (* I know it just changed hands but to show perspective)
    First fight: ($36,000)
    Last fight: ($600,000)

    WW Champ - GSP
    First fight: $6,000 ($3,000 for fighting; $3,000 win bonus)
    Last fight: $400,000 ($200,000 to show, $200,000 win bonus)

    LW Champ - Benson Henderson
    First WEC fight: $5,000 (includes $2,000 win bonus)
    Last WEC fight: (not disclosed)
    First UFC fight: $34,000 ($17,000 to show, $17,000 win bonus)
    Last UFC fight: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus)

    FW Champ - Jose Aldo
    First WEC fight: ($6,000)
    Last WEC fight: (not disclosed)
    First UFC fight: $48,000 ($24,000 to show, $24,000 win bonus)
    Last UFC fight: $240,000 ($120,000 purse/$120,000 win bonus)

    Gotta run or I would keep going.
    Quoting the top 1%'s income and saying the state of affairs is fine. Hilarious.

    That's just like stating Bill Gate's income and saying that the middle class of America is fine.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Quoting the top 1%'s income and saying the state of affairs is fine. Hilarious.

    That's just like stating Bill Gate's income and saying that the middle class of America is fine.
    I think the point he was trying to make with those fighters' income was, they started at the bottom, and worked their way to the top. All the lower and mid card fighters are being given the same chance.

    Johnny Hendricks was an unknown fighter back in 2008 in WEC, making $8k+$8k, fighting in prelims. NOw he is fighting for the title in UFC 5 years later, and should he win, he may see a significant raise in salary.

    However, I believe the lower card fighters should def get a pay bump, seeing as how much the sport has grown in the last 10 years. If GSP was making $3k+$3 back in 2004, and now the lowest is like $6k+$6k in 2013, that's not proportional to the growth of the UFC. Then again, the UFC does provide health insurance now, OTN bonuses, performance bonuses, etc.


  3. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Cops do not work for a profitable company.
    Around here they do. The more trafiic violations they write up the more money that goes into the police budget
    (more overtime, higher pay raises etc..)

    Cops do not work in a place that receives sponsorships.
    Many police initiatives are sponsored by local businesses

    Cops have a career that likely spans 30 years.
    Yes and they chose to be cops at least partly because they know its a stable well paying job that they wanted to do... Would it not be safe to assume most fighters know they aren't going to fight for 30 years and they at some point especially early on in their careers are gonna have an understanding of the pay scale they are going to be paid.

    Cops don't sign over their likeness for marketing.
    Not entirely but they do have restrictions placed on them as to how they can earn income outside of the job. A good portion of the jobs out there have some manner of limitations on what you can do in terms of how it relates to the business you are in.

  4. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Cloud
    Posts
    789

    Default

    as a business owner i see nothing wrong with what Chuck has said.
    I worked my way up and opened a business cause i was better than the guys that were still at the bottom.
    EVERY BUSINESS is PERFORMANCE BASED. I have guys in my company making double and triple other employees and they earn every penny. I dont pay 2 guys in the same job cause they they have the same job title. If one guy makes me a million dollars a month and the other guy 100,000 a month who do you think gets the better pay???

    H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!


  5. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    283

    Default

    In all honesty, I believe people just need something to complain about. People complain about "over paid athletes" and they complain about "under paid athletes".

    Don't like your job. Quit.

  6. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,693

    Default

    I have to agree with Chuck. Don't like it, leave. Nobody is forcing anyone to fight. Walk away, go work at McDonalds. But just like Nick Diaz, they bitch and they always come back.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

    All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

  7. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Around here they do. The more trafiic violations they write up the more money that goes into the police budget
    (more overtime, higher pay raises etc..)



    Many police initiatives are sponsored by local businesses



    Yes and they chose to be cops at least partly because they know its a stable well paying job that they wanted to do... Would it not be safe to assume most fighters know they aren't going to fight for 30 years and they at some point especially early on in their careers are gonna have an understanding of the pay scale they are going to be paid.



    Not entirely but they do have restrictions placed on them as to how they can earn income outside of the job. A good portion of the jobs out there have some manner of limitations on what you can do in terms of how it relates to the business you are in.
    You think money from traffic citations necessitates profit? No. It goes into a general fund which is then allocated by the local legislature. Cops DO receive money from seizures and auctions but that's hardly profit.

    Further, a sponsored police event is hardly a cop being sponsored himself for his likeness by a company. Get a grip.

    And limitations on outside jobs vs signing away exclusive rights to your own name are absolutely different.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  8. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    No. That would be like me stating Bill Gates income when he was a college dropout compared to his income now. Nice try though.
    That is still a horrible analogy. So your advice to anyone in business, if they are not making a living, is to shut up and be bill gates? ..Because becoming the best in your division is completely reasonable for 90% of fighters.


    Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    I have to agree with Chuck. Don't like it, leave. Nobody is forcing anyone to fight. Walk away, go work at McDonalds. But just like Nick Diaz, they bitch and they always come back.
    I think it's good that fighters are talking about it. If it isn't brought out into the open, then it will never change. They don't have a union, they gotta get their opinions out somehow. I don't really like this whole "if you don't like it, leave it" argument. I'd rather have fighters complain about pay and either have the ufc ignore them or make pay raises, than to just have fighters leave out of the blue, diminishing the talent pool and becoming a less realistic job for the next generation to pursue. If teachers just strait up quit instead of going on a strike it would have been catastrophic, I don't want to see that happen in the ufc (not that that is really realistic, just an extreme of what you are saying.)
    Last edited by initial_zen; 07-12-2013 at 06:37 AM.



  9. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    You think money from traffic citations necessitates profit? No. It goes into a general fund which is then allocated by the local legislature. Cops DO receive money from seizures and auctions but that's hardly profit.!
    As I said around here the money is directly allocated to the police budget... more money in the budget certainly benefits the officers giving out those tickets. I did not say it was profit but again around here there is a significant push by the higher up leaders to generate revenue by issuing tickets.

    Further, a sponsored police event is hardly a cop being sponsored himself for his likeness by a company. Get a grip.!
    I merely said there is sponsorships being giving to police forces you claimed otherwise no grip needed

    And limitations on outside jobs vs signing away exclusive rights to your own name are absolutely different.
    Many police officers have lost their jobs because of outside conduct. Besides that you have the option to not sign away your rights.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •